Building a Fixture table

exactly this. I was looking at it when I first got this table and was thinking the same thing but then after mocking it up I was like… that’s not going to work at all. Then I saw someone making clamps and figured ok this must be how it is. They should offer riser plates tbh. My guess is that this is designed for a hand torch option too hence they didnt make it taller.

I have only seen this on this post. I have had one person that I had to replace the torch head because he mounted it that way.

Hypwertherm, Thermal Dynamics, Miller and Lincoln does not mount the torch’s by the torch head only the barrel on their CNC tables.

All the working parts are in the torch head. So why take a chance of messing them up by clamping to it.

That"s one reason so many people have had trouble when mounting to the retaining cup on a hand torch, its a NO NO.

Here is a picture of a Hypertherm machine torch. You ether use the ohmic cup or a gear drive for the THC.

1 Like

Sorry for getting off track on this.

I really like the table your making.

George

I am using the PTM-60 you sold me(thanks). Are you saying the bottom clamp can’t be anywhere on the black portion of the machine torch? It is impossible to mount in the gray portion and position the torch so it has full travel with the CrossFire Pro Z axis mount(?).

Well that’s not the way to mount it, that’s all I can say.

I bought this magnetic torch holderfrom Jeremy goheen. Works pretty good.

I have rearranged the clamps so I can stay on the gray and have full travel. Thanks George. I wonder if there are any misfire issues that might be related to the location of the clamps(?).

1 Like

There have been plenty of examples on here. Small sampling starting with this one:

This one appears to have done it correctly: Magnetic machine torch holder

However, I have to agree with you George, we should start a new thread on this particular subject. Sorry @chowpay:flushed:

Not that my opinion is any better than anyone else but I also think this issue is important enough to move to another thread so it is read by all! The machine torch being mounted in the wrong place could end up being a source of future and present problems and misfires(?).

1 Like

that’s the one i got from Jeremy.

@TomWS haha no problem whatever makes a net benefit I’m for it. The clamp is pretty lightly clamped on though so I wonder what the actual impact is. But either way good to do it right. Wouldnt be a big lift to make the change either I just need to build some risers anyways for cutting square tube

1 Like

Like I said sorry to hijack your thread. And I liked your table.

Tom, you know if I would have seen those threads I would have said something.

no worries at all this is good to know

I’ve only heard of folks damaging their torch through clamping it at the cup or on the lower portion only and not supporting it up top, which caused the torch head or the cup portion to become loose and disconnected internally. The clamping force is quite minimal actually and equally applies the load all around the tube. Running it since 2018 without a single issue on two different machines now.

Steve.

1 Like

now that is pretty interesting. What did you do to convert it from the side mount to the bottom mount?.. Oh wait that is a original cross fire and a home made THC right?

Yup, all homebrew! Was a very nice project indeed, albeit a few coffee saturated, sleepless nights :rofl:

I imagine if you cut the table top submerged you’d have hardly any warping if any at all…

yah I was thinking of making some 1.5" slats instead of the current 2" then I could submerge things. But I get why they run the slats higher than the edge of the water table. You couldn’t put oversized pieces on here if you didn’t. Also I was draining the water while I was doing this as it got pretty hot. Though I doubt hot enough to exhibit any kinda of warping behavior on 1/4".