DIY dimple die available to anyone needing it

I 3d Printed dbrub2’s mod2 files and made a cylinder to fit my bolt and line up the two parts. I used Super Lube synthetic grease and made some plates real quick for the ends to keep the pressure uniform as possible. The 3d printed part didnt change shape or fracture at all.

3 Likes

Wow, that looks really good and exactly what you want the dimple to look like. You should offer to send it around like the steel version so people on the list don’t have to wait so long.

I’m more than willing to send this out. I just need to know where to send it out to. It should last a while if people aren’t over torquing it. Thank you again for sharing this model.

If you go to the topic “Pan Drain Dimple Die Mod2” on the very first page just under the video pic there is a box labeled “links”. In this the one that is Google Docs is a spreadsheet of people that have signed up to get the steel one. Each person that gets the die uses them to form their table drain hole then ships the due to the next person on the list. Shipping cost is worked out by each.

If you want one of us could post in that topic that a second die is available.

Huge thanks for being willing to share your super cool 3D printed die with others…just the way this forum should operate!

1 Like

Sounds good. I’m going to print out 3 extra sets of replacement plastic parts to ship along on its journey. I have no idea how long the printed parts will last mainly because other people willing be using them.

Well I got the 3 extra sets of plastic parts but it looks like the list is caught up.

I just made two sets too. Just because :slightly_smiling_face: Mine are resin printed so 100% solid. Anyone wants a set, give me a shout.

I gotta believe if forum members knew they would jump at the chance. Perhaps this topic has become “old news” maybe a new topic should be started explicitly indicating MOD 2 style dimple dies are available!!

I 3D printed one of the dimple dies and it worked fine with the default drain, however I’d like to get a drain with a larger fitting. I ordered this 1/2 NPT one that someone had suggested elsewhere (https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=23-110), however turns out that the head of this is actually smaller than the hole after using the dimple die. Other than fabricating one (which I’m not sure I have the tools or skills for) does anyone know a commodity one that would work? That particular part doesn’t appear to come in 3/4" NPT

1 Like

Did you print the Mod2 design or Mod1? Mod 1 design can make the hole too large which is why Mod2 design was created.

I believe it was the Mod2. Note that the default drain fits, the hole just happened to widen enough that the 1/2” NPT one I posted above didn’t work. I think I found a solution from Amazon that I’ll post when I test it out.

Ok, I think these fixtures will work: Amazon.com

Out of the box the thickness of the head was too much to fix in the dimple, but I sanded them down on a belt sander until they fit with the default o-rings that came with the Pro. I haven’t gotten to the point of filling this to verify that they’re water tight but I don’t see any reason it shouldn’t be (worst case I’ll change o-rings or use plumber’s putty or something along those lines.

2 Likes

looks like a good solution. and from the pic i dont think you will have trouble draining. I bought a cheap harbor freight wet/dry vac and use it to suck up residual fluid and debris when I clean the table.

Dan, just bought the CrossFire Pro and will eventually get this dimple die from you before my table arrives in June 2021… Wondering if you can tell me what size the threaded end is of the drains on the CrossFire Pro tables. I am in the process of getting this together for a drain and filtration system for mine. Really wish I would have done all that with my OG table when I first got it… Let me know

the stock brass drain has an internal thread of 1/4 NPT. I’m pretty sure the external thread is 1"-8

1 Like

Thank you I will be getting back to you soon for The dimple die

How much are your dimple dies?

There are at least 3 sets of dimple die being passed around. One is the original one I made and there are at least 2 that have been 3D printed. Go to the following topic

Here you will find a link to a spreadsheet signup sheet to get one of the die sent to you with the understanding that you would then pass it on to the next person in line.

So there is no reason to buy a die.

3 Likes

I have two sets I 3D printed using resin instead of pla (I have an SLA printer). They haven’t been tested but I’ll send them off to anyone who can use them now so we can find out if they’ll work. They should based on the specs I could find for resin and they’re solid (equivalent to 100% fill for FDM printers) but no guarantees. If you’re in need of the dies and willing to try the resin ones I can send you a set. Didn’t look from the spreadsheet that anyone was in imminent need except Mike Stahl so I’ve got a message out to him but if anyone isn’t in the list and wants to try it, let me know.

James,
I’d be willing to give them a go… But, I’ll wait to officially request until parts start arriving for the PRO table…