Currently at my wits end with my Crossfire pro. At this point I have hours of troubleshooting and not sure what the issue is, or if my expectations are too high for my setup.
95% of what I cut is 14 gauge HR steel signs and experience lots of dross, which takes too much time to clean up.
My current setup is a 5 hp 60 gallon compressor (old Sanborn) that has an aftercooler setup with an inline water drain. A harbor freight refrigerator dryer, a devibliss qc3 dessicant filter, and motor guard m60. I have an external pressure regulator and the regulator is turned up all the way inside the plasma.
I have the razorweld 45 with a machine torch thats about 6 feet from the crossfire control box.
At first I used Amazon consumables, but then switched to razorweld consumables.
I’ve tried numerous cut settings, different speeds, amperages, cut heights and air pressures. Nothing seems to achieve the quality I’m looking for. If I speed my ipm up too high I have issues with the plasma not cutting through on the lead in, even with the lead in slowed down. I also feel as if I’m constantly battling and issue with the THC not working properly.
At this point I’m not sure which direction to go to get the machine working to my expectations.
Is there a way to check air quality?
Could the issue be the steel I’m using?
Should I upgrade my plasma cutter or air compressor?
Sorry if I’m all over the place with this topic, I just tried to cover all my bases. Any help would be appreciated.
I think your air system is pretty good, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. You haven’t said what the settings are that you have tried to use, so I’ll just give you what works for me.
14 ga. steel
65 psi (this is the constant pressure flowing through the torch while cutting. Static pressure is irrelevant)
.4 sec pierce delay( this works on my Everlast, but you may want to go to .6 sec on the Razorweld)
.15" pierce height
.06" cut height
As far as settings I’ve tried so many different variations. Even similar to what you posted. Problem is, even today, I spent a hour or so trying different settings, finally got one I liked the results for and when I went to cut a big piece the quality was terrible.
I feel like it may be an issue with cut height, but I’ve even tried a line test, setting the thc voltage and still suffers cut quality.
I suppose I could try different consumables. I didn’t notice much difference between the Jack and Dave ones compared to the razor weld consumables. Since owning the table I haven’t been happy enough with the results to let a set of consumables go for their whole life to determine a good consumable life, usually I switch them out to try and diagnose cut quality issues.
I understand I see several saying thesame thing… I ran the devil out of my razorweld with no complaints I have even cut 3/4. I upgraded to a hypertherm 65 not long ago because the razorweld didn’t have the duty cycle I needed.
Just throwing out some ideas, genuine consumables or generics? I have run into poor cuts from poor quality consumables bought on Amazon. Against others’ wisdom, I find that I get better cuts at 1/8" shim offset instead of 1/16". Finally getting the speed just right for the amps, too slow, more dross, too fast more dross. I’m running a Primeweld Cut60 so my settings at torch may not apply to you but it’s worth looking at these other options.
We’re compiling serial numbers to see where product change happened in the prime cut. If you’d like post your serial number date of purchase and location of the CPC port to this topic and allowed to the list
The thing is regardless of cut settings, I usually end up with the same results. If I go too fast it doesn’t cut through on lead in, even with a slowed lead in. Almost everything I cut the pieces don’t just fall out, I have to push them down through and sometimes break them off at the lead in point.
I cut some 1/8" the other day and there was it was showing that the torch wasn’t square left and right. I changed the torch holder and nothing seemed to change.
I guess my biggest frustration is I was doing test cuts where I was at the point I was satisfied, went to cut a bigger project with the same settings and it cut completely different.
I think your cut height is to high . You need to remove the CNC shield and manual measure the gap between the cutting tip and the work piece. 30 amp should be about .045" and 40/45 amp should be .060".
If you were getting bevel and changing the torch did not matter the consumables were bad.
You never start a program hit cut and walk away. That can end up being a very costly mistake.
reading your posts and looking at your pictures…I feel you are at the same place I was a number of months ago…you are rushing perfection…
what I mean by this is when you do cust and it does not come out right is seems you are changing a whole bunch of setting rather that just adjusting one setting and trying again
you need to take a piece of metal and cut a bunch of 6" lines…side by side…
the for each line you cut…you change one parameter like amps only for about 10 lines…
here is an example…read the thread attached
this is a great example of how to fine tune your cutting.
everyone has slightly different results…metal quality, air quality, electrical supply, consumable condition and quality…all these factor into a cut.