What have you done on your CrossFire Pro Today?

@DonP your psychic: I was going to ask @holla2040 how he determined the order. He said he “had a sheet” with the order.

Also, I borrowed a set of your Halloween arms and made my parents a set for their yard where they sit every day. Going to set them tomorrow after paint dries a bit more. I kinda wish I’d gone with white on the face.

@Domo Here is the latest rendition of my Dead sign:

That purple is automotive paint I got off Amazon, the magenta and off-white are Home Depot. 18 gauge with a 22 gauge backplate.

7 Likes

Maybe Tin will have more to add to topic.

1. good question…lol i would be guessing
  2. Middle line in fusion is bend line.
  3. another good question…lol I have mine near edge but not sure that is correct
  4. My knowledge is not great on k factor, but I do understand basics on neutral axis and how one side is compressed and other is under tension. So, fusion has a k factor of like 0.44 for steel and aluminum but aluminum is softer so maybe k factor should be 0.35.

Here is great way to get your k factor…

Calculate K factor, bend allowance and Y factor for sheet metal bending | Gasparini Industries

5 Likes

I suspect those k factor calculators assume that set back is ideal. If you have a large setback you get a larger radius. I might have that backwards.

4 Likes

I just had to look up how to set my fingers on brake and the general rule sounds to be 2 thickness of the material your bending.

This video has a bunch of good information…

4 Likes

That’s what my brake manual says as well.

1 Like
  1. Definitely you’ll want to set your setback according to the manual and the clamping pressure is also important which should be listed in your manual.

2. 3.This is exactly the right question to be asking with a leaf break. On thinner material I do try to line up with the center line but depending on which part of the material is inside or outside of the break it’s going to bend that line slightly different. A leaf brake is not a press brake which is what all these bending allowances charts are designed for. A piece of metal does not deform the same way in a leaf brake as it does in a press brake.

When bending a pan uniformly on a leaf brake using the same line to break from you would either have to go around the whole pan and break all the flanges facing into the brake or brake the whole pan with the flanges facing out of the brake to have a result that’s uniform. If you’ve been some of the flanges with the body inside the brake and some of the flanges with the body outside of the brake the flanges would not come out to the same height.

1. Again while you can get a bend allowance from a leaf brake it deforms the metal not uniformly like a press brake does. Cut a 4 inch long piece of metal bend it right at the 2 inch mark and then measure how long the flanges are. Once you know the flange length you’ll know how much material you gained when the metal stretched during braking.

The math for figuring out the k factor using the material difference while it bend test.

This project I did I really had to be careful about not only my Bend order but which piece is inside or outside of the brake during the bend.

@holla2040 that product design online video you linked is really good. Product design online is probably one of the best resources for learning Fusion 360.

Here’s a sound effects pedal enclosure I made it very similar to the project in the video. About 600 posts up from here.

6 Likes

Tin
Would it be asking to much if you post something that you goofed up and threw in the scrap? That way I have something I can aim for? :rofl:

Your joint fit up was perfect! Dont see how it gets any better than that.

would not say the bottom line on bending is practice?
How thick of material was the first joint? Was it CR?

Thanks for posting

6 Likes

lol next time I do a run to the scrap metal yard i’ll take and post a picture of what i drop off, i am sure there will be a few mess ups to look at.

thanks I worked with it in cad for a while to get the joint i wanted.

yes doing some practice bends to see and take notes on how things will react is key,

it is all 1/8" aluminum, both the pedal and hatches.

3 Likes

I watched this video and I feel like it was one of the most fact-filled videos I’ve seen on F360, as well as a lot of great tips on metal cutting.

This is going to be a great reference for myself and others. Thank you.

5 Likes

One of these days I’m going to put more than 10 mins of time into these garage sale finds. I got 3 of them for $6 so 2 left to play with when I get time. If you haven’t cut saw blades it’s pretty cool and people love them. Lucky for them I give stuff away. It’s the fun of it for me.

5 Likes

Agree, I’ve watched that video. Here are the set back videos I’ve found useful.

5 Likes

@TinWhisperer

Tin, I read through the link you posted

Their example includes a finger edge radius. My brake’s finger edges are square (no perceivable fillet). However, my next experiment will be following their " 90 Degrees Bend Angle" example to calculate k, then use that in F360 to see if I can improve bend accuracy.

Why do I want all this accuracy? I want to get to this level

Of course, that requires TIG skills that I don’t have yet. :wink:

6 Likes

Those parts in the video were not cut with a plasma or bent with a leaf brake.

They were made using a CNC turret punch and a CNC press brake.

I would love to be at the level , I missed a chance at a 60ton CNC press brake last year and I am still kicking myself.

4 Likes

That team roping turned out great in that saw! That sign I did with it was 3x4 and I think you got most of the detail in that scaled down version! Was impressed to see the loop center cut out. It took me some adjusting to get it to work on the larger version i did.

Fine cut tips?

2 Likes

nice work @DonP …nice…I presently have over 400 saws I have been colecting over the last few years…gonna spend some time on these…
what settings have you been using for them?

2 Likes

I agree, not plasma cut. My last startup had these in the shop.

Back then, I wasn’t into fab other than I knew what they were and what did in our production line. My job was system architecture, circuit design and software development.

Maybe someday another 60 ton press brake will fall into your lap.

2 Likes

@72Pony & @toolboy -

Hypertherm 45xp with fine cut @ 40amps. 16ga book settings low speed 150ipm

cow roping - saw blade.dxf (339.8 KB)

5 Likes

I am looking at one on eBay but it’s a 70 ton 8’ and weighs 8,000.
The cost to move would probably be half of what they want for it.
It also got me thinking if my floor would hold it and then thought they also have to bring it in.
So now we have the 8,000 plus what ever the fork truck weighs. Not sure I want to take that gamble.

5 Likes

8 Likes

You should add that scary face and arms to fileshare as remix. Looks good!

3 Likes