Water table fluid

Keep us informed about what you find out, I believe that I’m only a couple hours north of you.

Thanks

1 Like

How is everyone disposing of the used water from the table? Can I just pour it down the sewer drains or in my yard? I haven’t put any thing in the water yet, just regular old city water. It looks like most of the metal shavings/dross are flowing to the bottom of the bucket. I have been draining it out every night into a 5 gal bucket and filling it back up the next time I cut, but it’s getting pretty black and the slats are starting to rust along with the bottom of the table so I probably need to start using something to reduce the rust.

I use some pool additive in my water, which I believe is safe to poor down the drain? But I have yet to find a need to dumb my water out, I’ve only had to add to it.

I do have a holding tank and transfer pump setup. So my water table gets drained at the end of the day, and the water seems to stay fairly clean.

I added this to my table. I use this in a Vapor Blaster that I have to prevent rusting of the parts that I blasted so I add some to the table water as well. You mix it at a rate of 50:1 (water:rust inhibitor).
image I purchased from Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018FBGWWU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to b working but I’ve only been up and running for a week. I’m waiting for the new wire harness and relay to come since I’m one that hs apparently received a unit with the bad batch

@gpowanda

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS:
P261: Avoid breathing mist or vapors

Suitable (and unsuitable)
extinguishing media
Product classified as Class IIIB may be flammable
at high temperatures. Use water spray, alcohol-resistant foam, dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Use
appropriate media for adjacent fire. Cool unopened
containers with water.

Specific hazards arising
from the chemical
Emits toxic fumes (carbon oxides, nitrogen oxides)
under fire conditions. (See also Stability and Reactivity section).

https://holdtight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/HoldTight-SDS-6.1.19-FINAL.pdf
Not sure if something I would put in a plasma water table.

2 Likes

Greg,

Appreciate you pointing this out to me again. I read this when first purchased a while ago but forgot. I believe that this information is more around the concentrated material versus once it is diluted since I’m only adding a few oz to the table. I initially felt that I’m avoiding the fumes in general but this may add additional caution. I plan to ask the company to be more specific since this is mainly used for blasting. I also read the use document which didn’t have all of these cautions.

Thanks again. I will be sure to post comments from the manufacture once received.

Why not just use borax?

I had the HoldTight 102 already which is why I used it.

Just to add to the conversation… if you have any thought of cutting a “galvanized” metal think really hard about not doing it. Burning through galvanized steel and inhaling those fumes “will”, not “can”, make you very sick. Anyone who has ever been unfortunate enough to breathe these fumes for some length of time will tell you that later that day or night they felt like they had the flu. Can’t stress how dangerous metal poisoning can be. If for some strange reason you just can’t avoid cutting this material I wouldn’t do it unless you are in open air and upwind. Again, breathing these fumes is nuts.

3 Likes

I have cut alot of galvanized with my Crossfire, just open the door, turn a fan on and stay up-wind of it and all is fine. A little common sense goes a long ways. Breathing that crap in a closed room is bad, easy to avoid though.

4 Likes

And also avoid chlorinated brake cleaners - or chlorinated any type of cleaners - the residue is bad news around an arc - especially a welding arc, but a plasma arc can have same effect. Not proud - learned the hard way. Plasma arcs have high pressure air that helps dilute fumes, but mask/PPE up!

I really dread the thought of importing Green Cut into my country. The high product cost, hazmat freight charges and customs interrogation surely would be a nightmare!
I think plain tap water and draining/cleaning water table after a days work may be the order of the day.

2 Likes

You can ‘roll’ your own. Others have mentioned Borax based solutions, I use Sodium Nitrite based solution (I don’t have the formula handy, but I have posted it here somewhere).

1 Like

Thanks Tom, I saw your formula. Will certainly try it, when I get my machine. Right now, reading and learning as much as possible.

Anyone know anything about this fluid…saw it while surfing for plasma cutting fluid.

@langmuir-daniel @EdS hey guys we are almost to this step to test out the PRO…so 2 questions…with the Homemade receipe…I assume i am not mixing 75gallons of water at a time…and i see Langmuir is using only 5 gallons of water in the table…i saw another thread that someone is using up to 13gallons…can you clarify how many gallons the PRO needs? then I can do the math for the portions above unless someone has posted it.

You make the solution and keep it in a gallon jug. When you add water to the table, add 1/4C of the solution to every 2 Gals of water you add. That will give you the proper 1oz/G mixture.

1 Like

13-15 gallons depending on how close to the top you get it.

1 Like

ahhh fantastic…thought it had to be scaled back…! awesome

OK, for all you veteran Pro table users out there, has anyone come up with a way to keep fluid departure to a minimum when cutting. Especially when cutting right next to the edges of the table. I cut 2 full 4 x 8 sheets of 3/16 the other day and lost 3 gal of fluid to the floor. It looked like a flood had come and gone. LOL. Anyway, any suggestions would be great not only for myself, but for the group.