Trouble cutting 3/8” with Crossfire Pro and Primeweld Cut60 (Not solved yet)

Oh I agree I would tell noone to spend that kind of money. I don’t want to see you quit for sure …

Just trying to point out my first laptop was lucky to be a 64 bit . The one I use now I don’t know what the specs are. A local school trashed them I picked it up. It had no os on it. previously had win 7. I had 10 pro installed it will run f360 and fire control. Although I only logged into f360 and played no hard core work to see if it could.

Well, my desktop wouldn’t support Windows 10, @Phillipw, but it runs 360 like a champ. I modeled my bomber seats in 3D, and they’ve got a lot of geometry (all the rivet holes).

But my brand new Windows 11 laptop struggles to load the flat patterns for these seats in Fusion. I believe it all has to do with the graphics card.

FWIW, I asked Langmuir for a list of incompatible graphics cards, and their response was that they would be more than happy to tell me if the card from any computer I purchased was incompatible. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Right every program has different requirements. My point was I think you have been lead into a rabbit hole. I have a hard time believing your computer is the problem…

My advise to you would be to address your cable management and emi issues. Then fire up if it doesn’t help try 20.6. before you sink another grand into it. Fire control shouldn’t be that demanding or I wouldn’t have run it for over 2 years.

1 Like

I learned a new word today. Probably synonymous with engineer… so it’s not my fault. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Can you provide more insight on the swirl cap… I wasn’t aware that it should have a specific orientation. What have you learned the correct orientation to be?

You guys really need to learn how to use the search funtion.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

what are the specs on his current laptop?

He posted them. I just have a hard time believing that it is his computer causing it when his wife turns on the dryer or his air compressor kicks on it freezes up.

3 Likes

The only spec I read that he posted is it is a 1.1 ghz processor which is below the recomended 1.6 ghz. I have no idea how much ram and how much video memory but if it is 1.1 ghz my guess is it is very minimal on both ram and video memory.

It’s 4GB ram and an OpenGL 4.6 video card, so the area it falls short of FireControl’s current minimum recommendation is the processor speed.

It won’t run Fusion worth a darn, but my Windows 7 machine does a good job there…for now.

I hear what you’re saying @ttoy360…I wish I had a better laptop to try, to see if that’s even the issue, before I spend a bunch more money.

@CrazyCasey I just got home from work. I have some hauler steps to get put together when I am done I will try to check my computer specs. It may not be bare bones but it isn’t a screaming demon either. My old laptop is about 15 years old I used it for a year before I busted the screen. Then again if changing versions of fire control to get you goin it is worth it til you recover your money I say give it a try.

I am not saying your computer isn’t part of your problem . There is a several using cheap computers. If it is your computer it will be the first one I remember seeing in 2 years that causes these issues.

1 Like

Thanks @Phillipw. I’m certainly curious. I’ve been out of town the past few days trying to make some money, but I’ve got a list of stuff to try as soon as I’m back. I’m basically starting with the free stuff, and working my way up to spending money. Gotta un-bond the neutral in my sub-panel, and make the ground return to the main panel per John’s recommendation (previous owner did it all wrong and my inspector didn’t catch it :roll_eyes:), and then I’m moving the plasma further from the electronics enclosure and trying to do some better cable management. Last step will be installing 20.6, and I’ll be making cuts at each iteration to check my progress. I’ll consider a different laptop, I guess, if none of this works. And I’m going to try and make it all happen before next weekend.

I am so appreciative of your help, and of you trying to stick up for me here and there. I realize I’ve been a little pissy since FireControl locked up and broke my table, but some of the remarks on here have been down-right condescending, and anything but helpful.

I’m not trying to shirk my own responsibility here; I obviously didn’t research this thing as well as I should have, but I did a LOT of research. And unfortunately, I took to the Facebook “Support Group” before I really took to the forum, and, as I said earlier, this laptop Christmas deal was actually recommended by several of the users on there, and since it was “a brand new computer” I just didn’t question whether or not it would work. That’s just my own inexperience coming through; the last time I bought a new computer from a reputable source, it was more or less impossible to buy something that was already outdated, but I guess the technology was moving even faster back then…

Anyway, thank you for everything! You, @ds690, @DnKFab, @mechanic416, @Bigdaddy2166, @ChelanJim, and @72Pony have all been IMMENSELY HELPFUL! And @TinWhisperer has been really helpful too, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. :rofl: Sorry not sorry. I’m also sure I’m forgetting people, and I apologize.

I’m going to make one final run at the this thing before I throw in the towel.

2 Likes

he is very passionate about making sure people are not misled…he is mostly “by the book”…and I respect his blunt forward answers…

8 Likes

I do too, @toolboy. His “old news” about Fusion 360 just really bummed me out today. It’s the nature of software to constantly evolve, and that’s fine, but yes, it changes everything when what works today won’t work next week.

I want everyone to succeed!!! It will be a little while before I get a chance to look I had to powder coat some more parts. On word of advice. Change one thing then test so we know the fix… hang in there man you will get it

2 Likes

No worries, @Phillipw. It will be the last thing I address. The wiring fixes and cable management need to happen anyway.

1 Like

well Casey i have to admit this laptop i am using now is a little more powerful that what i thought.

it has a 2.6ghz processor and 8 ram… which shocked me to see what it had. it was one of those garage sale type computers.

with that said i ran a win 7 laptop for a year that was around 15 years old. i still have it i just can’t check it to see what the specs are because of a busted screen.

i still don’t see it being your problem or all of your problem because if i remember correctly you said you could run with success until you end up with a load on the electrical system.

1 Like

Ok, so @TinWhisperer and @ttoy360, I’m all wet about the desktop machine I use for Fusion 360 (big surprise there I know). It’s an Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.41GHZ with 16GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirextX 12 with 12198 MB of graphics memory.

The upgrade this computer wouldn’t allow was from Windows 10 home to Windows 11, because (it says) the i7-6700 isn’t on Windows list of approved processors (and not that it isn’t capable of running the operating system?). I don’t know, this stuff is over my head.

I really don’t want to stick this machine out in my garage even for a day, but I’ll email Langmuir Support to see if the graphics card is even compatible with FireControl, and maybe I can do it to rule out the laptop as being my source of trouble.

As long as you have a fully updated copy of Windows 10 it’s fully supported by Fusion 360 currently.

You would likely need to see what the model number of your motherboard is and with that information you could find out what the most upgradable CPU you could get for that motherboard is and then cross reference it whether it’s okay for Windows 11.
But you have no need for Windows 11 currently

I wouldn’t use your nice computer in the shop either. ( Mind you I am a bit of a saddest and I bought a brand new super fast gaming laptop for the shop I think most people would cringe) but originally I did the same as you had an old Windows 7 lappy I upgraded to Windows 10 and used that to run both fire control and fusion

2 Likes

you have a computer that is very simialar to my desktop it is a very good machine and I am very upset that windows is not allowing it to be upgraded to windows 11.

PM me with your phone number and I will call you to discuss.

Also some guys on the forum are using these type units you would have to add a monitor and key board and mouse. https://a.co/d/6doct60

2 Likes