Tool path generation fail

And you purposely created this setup with two operations?

Honestly, I have no idea.

I can tell being set up 8 you did run into some issues.
Extruding back in the design phase will help you in the manufacture phase.

I’ll try to get down to my computer shortly.

I extruded the design to .0625 and then tried to cut it again as well as tried the mini trim method, but still not cutting. It’ll cut out the holes fine, but then it’ll travel to start to cut out the inner part and it’ll trolley, Z axis will lower down and it wont initiate an arc and wont move after that.

ls contour 2
I couldnt get that DXF file in load

I altered the format and can tell there is a few layer in here.

here is a piece of that corrupted file. something missing in translation.

Does that DXF load on your fusion360?

you could export a *.F3D, zip and share that with us.
From this menu you also can export all the layer into one DXF
( this also could create a cornuted file depending on how the layers interplay)

Here you can export a single sketch layer.

Here is a video of a way I would have gone about creating this L ornament in Fusion 360 .

its a little rushed because I only have 5 minutes with my free account. No sound

attached are the files from the video

L ornament.dxf (46.1 KB)

L xmas ornament.nc (12.8 KB)

slow the video down here

at 2m30s that radius step is the step that stops your contour problem from happening.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that I didn’t draw the ornament in it’s entirety, I converted a silhouette to a .dxf and modified it. Could this have been the problem?

Definitely can be part of it.

Converting an image to a vector does work. And whatever algorithm is doing the conversion adds and losses information.

So sometimes the vector can be a little disjointed.

Then you have a layer are you threw yourself integrating over top.

This can definitely cause some issues.
Dirty svg’s dxfs as well as semi-circles cut acutely can take its toll on fusion 360.

There is some proper steps you can take from finding decent imagery to converting to layering to combining.

Post original converted file I want to see what that looks like before you started working with it.

1 Like

Here is the original converted file:
clipart181938.dxf (14.0 KB)

I used convertio to convert from an image file to a .dxf, imported it into fusion, scaled it to the size I wanted.

Then I deleted the larger hole around the at the time and then deleted the inner portion of the ornament because I wanted a thicker border. I then offset the outer part 1/2" to create my new border.

All check it out when I get home from work.

When using convertio do not convert to a DXF convert to an SVG you’ll have way better results.

2 Likes

I appreciate the time and effort you’re putting in to help me out.

1 Like

I followed step by step with what you had and when I am done selecting the toolpath and I simulate the cut, this is what is shown. It refuses to cut out the left side, it seems.

When I get home I’ll download that file and have a better look at it

It’s going to be the tight corners in the features that are missing the need to be radiuses.

A semicircle cut acutely is fusions 360 biggest downfall . When I started learning it it drove me insane until I figured out how to manage it.

1 Like

I also was reading up on THC and people having issues with that as well.

I tested mine and it came back higher than recommended:

THC-Test Report_11-09-2021_18-04 2.txt (215 Bytes)
THC-Test Report_11-09-2021_18-04.txt (275 Bytes)

I converted my hand torch to a machine torch using a post I saw on this forum as a reference. I then made a plug to go into my CPC port and have DIV box. Hypertherms have the 50:1 voltage dividers already interally, so I thought this was the correct way to do this?

I am starting to hate this machine entirely.

The THC is an issue and another mountain to climb.

Take a couple clear pictures of how you have your THC wired and start a new topic.

Try to used the DXF I posted earlier, can you get it you complete the toolpaths?

Huge learning curve to all this.

I struggled for quite some time before getting it .

1 Like

I redrew an ornament and then also sized it down just for a test piece. I changed the fillet rad. from .0625 to .090 and it actually recognized the pattern this time. I went with a much simpler letter in a simpler font. The cut quality seems to be fair, there is a little bit of dross on the front, but the back actually looks better. I also read where a lot of people say to add .4 to the pierce delay on Hypertherms, so I changed that as well. I am thinking the dross has to do with my live voltage issue now? I am using 45 amp consumables, I have an air dryer as well as a filter/regulator coming off of my compressor. My shop is very small, so I don’t have a ton of line in between my compressor, to my air dryer, then to my cutter. This has been quite the learning curve and it just seems like its one issue to the next.

1 Like

Definitely a part of it. Surely that will be solved soon too.

As long as the air has a chance to cool off.

sounds like you are most of the way there now.

Having parts you program coming off the table is a pretty satisfying result after all the challenges.

2 Likes

Again, I really appreciate the time you’ve put into helping me figure out my issues. I am pretty blown away by the community support aspect of Langmuir. It has been a really good resource for me as well as encouraging. I have been so frustrated the last week or so trying to get everything dialed in just right and to product quality parts that people would want to spend their money on.

1 Like