Learning 3D printing

Yes. I realized. I am calling this the ‘shopping channel’ because of how often I seem to find ideas for things I can’t live without. I’m with you. Tin and BigDaddy are always talking me into one thing or another. And, yes, I know they are talking directly to me! :rofl:

Erik read my comment right.

1 Like

Nope. I plan to make signs and sell lots of stuff at the craft fairs. I am going to get my money back for all of these purchases. Just kidding. :upside_down_face:

But I do have a number of things that I plan to make that are functional for my own needs. Nothing that I plan to sell.

Here is an example of something I bought (three of them) when doing my trailer lights. It is something to hold the trailer connector so that it doesn’t lay in the dirt and water. One of my connectors was totally rusted and ready to fail. I could have easily made these myself with a 3D printer:

4 Likes

You’ll find all kinds of cheap and easy ways to use it and justify the money you spent. I’ll hold off the talks about 3d cameras for another few months. Some of the new technology they have out for IPhones are interesting but not on top of my list of things to add currently.

2 Likes

That’s the best reason.

1 Like

That’s a different topic
@TinWhisperer is learning to 3D scan

3 Likes

OOPS - We’re gonna resurrect another thread.

Learning how to 3D scan thread

@holla2040 - I thought you linked it, but just TWs profile.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input all. Yeah I looked at all the options and went with the x1. I’m not sure if I will like it or get into it but I always tend to lean towards the tool that does not limit or hamper the possibilities IF I do enjoy it. Tool limits can just add to frustration and artificially impact ones attitude about an area of interest. For that reason I usually go with the best option if I can afford it.
So I’m thinking of ordereing some PLA, PLA-cf and petg. Do these sound like a good choice for starting out? As the conversation went earlier in the thread, this whole filament rabbit hole is something I don’t want to climb down again. I just want to make fun things and useful things for around the property. I do make a lot of things for other people too but I just give it to them, I don’t have the ambition or drive to try to make money on it. If it’s a “paying” gig, I just have them buy me some material to cover those costs and the standard toll for stepping on my property is ya better have a coffee in your hand…don’t worry, the girls at the coffee shop know what I drink.

3 Likes

Well @OldNBroken - IF you decide to opt out, I’ll take your X1 and what ever you accumulate. I can’t seem to find a gently used one, let alone any used ones that are reasonable.

3 Likes

You and I seem to be on the same wavelength: buy the best you can afford so as to not limit your choices later.

I also consider the best you can afford usually have the best options that have been tested for reliability and offer the user the best experience. I have owned several Toyota vehicles (satisfied with both) and several Lexus vehicles (thrilled with two that were certified pre-owned; problems with two that were “used” and bought on lots other than Lexus).

As for the filament I have ordered, I am going with a similar approach:
PLA: seems to be a goto, cheaper alternative
PLA+: because David (@ds690 ) recommends that he is quite satisfied with the results for usability/durability. Bambu does not seem to have this filament.
PLA Matte: because of Craig’s high praise. It does look like a great finish!
PETG: because @DonP seems to be having a good experience with it, and the properties seem to align with some of the things I plan to do.
TPU: I have some things like shoe orthotics that I want to experiment with. Being a retired Physical Therapist, we are always trying to get the most out of our aging bodies. Don’t know if they will work but it seemed to strike a chord with my wife! “Happy wife, happy life…you know!” :innocent:

Actually, I am getting a bit nervous of all of the packages that will be arriving. And they are not going to be the printer or the Yukon mobile bench I have ordered. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Not totally off topic but definitely a different animal (3D printer…3D camera/scanner). I would imagine someone like Bambu might create an add-on to their printer similar to what we now have on most printers (copy/scan/fax/print).

It seems that technology is not quite there: still mostly prototype for the consumer market. Personally, I am not interested in buying things like that.

Yeah…if only it were that easy. A lot more work in 3D scanning to printing.

Kind of like taking a picture of a thing and uploading it into firecontrol to cut it out. You got step A and Z done, but without the rest of the alphabet, it just aint gonna’ work.

2 Likes

Agreed. Just like that simple part, that I shared above: trailer connector plug protector. There is too much of the part that blocks the inside of the part. You physically would not be able to photograph every square mm of it let alone map it accurately.

That part is simple enough that it would be easier to design in CAD from start to finish.

1 Like

Plus, you’ll learn about tolerances and tight fitting parts.

1 Like

We’re thinking about getting this scanner. Will let you know.

1 Like

That is pretty cool!

I was watching the video of it scanning the dragon and was a little uneasy about the number of times that it gave “lost signal” and a few other alerts but the final result after meshing was impressive.

Craig…STOP making me want MORE!!! :rofl:

All you have to do is schedule another trip and you got it. Maybe you could do Whidbey island? …or might i suggest Utah :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It is interesting that you say that: both have been suggested by Mrs. ChelanJim.

She really does not care where we go. She just wants to go. But truthfully, I think the two trips that are planned for this year (almost typed ‘next year’…yikes, creeping up on me!) will be all I can handle.

One more trip and I am sending the printer and the filament back! :rofl: (Bambu does not take returns.)

2 Likes

Bring them with you on your trip to Utah… two birds with one stone! :rofl:

2 Likes

Plan a romantic camping trip to the garage… It just might work!

3 Likes

just think how you’d mix this with a crossfire and bambu (throw in a fiber laser too!)

3 Likes