Learning 3D printing

@OldNBroken - cheater

2 Likes

Got a 3D print-in-place box for Christmas. It has a locking mechanism in the lid.

6 Likes

I finally moved the needle far enough that my wife relented: my Bambu X1-C has been ordered.

7 Likes

So is the car still in the garage? Dumb question huh?:rofl::rofl::grin:

2 Likes

You’ll love it! Super easy and fun to design and hit print. Few hours later you have a model.

1 Like

But I have had to not only agree to a road trip next year :tired_face:…already tired and ready to come back home.

AND…and…she is right at this moment, planning a trip in the spring with another couple out of the country. :roll_eyes: What have I gotten myself into?!

Naw…it is all good. We are both getting what we want. Compromises, you know. And I do love her so there’s that.

I am really excited about it and glad I have learned some 3D stuff before I knew I would use it elsewhere! Thanks for the encouragement!

2 Likes

Make sure you order PEI plate and not sure what nozzles sizes you get. I had a few prints I used 0.2mm on over holidays.

2 Likes

Well spoken and so true. You have to give more than you take. I am glad mine doesn’t like to travel past the barn … How blessed we are.

3 Likes

She just walked in the door and is bubbling with excitement “Oh, we have it all worked out…” I kind of stopped listening at that point and did a lot of smiling and nodding “yes, sounds good!”

1 Like

Haven’t read the whole thread, but for those of you struggling with threads, or just want a better and easier way, I just found these brass inserts for 3d or plastic parts browsing on amazon. You make the hole the right size and push the brass threaded insert in with a soldering iron to heat it up. It melts into the thermoplastic. I just ordered some today to play with.

And look into rivnuts as well for threaded additions in your Plasma cut parts. I’m doing a van conversion and they are the bomb!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B46YBNV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

4 Likes

It did take a little playing around for me to figure out I needed to offset the threads and I also rounded them which seemed to help. These do seem like a much easier alternative. I ordered 100 of them in my normal 1/4”x20 size to try out. Thanks for tip!

1 Like

setting cut height to 0.020" worked a TREAT. Holy heck there’s almost zero dross “droopies” and cleaned up with a surface conditioning 4.5" angle grinder wheel very easily!

1 Like

Glad it worked for you.
Note: I think you dropped this note in a different topic. It happens. :upside_down_face: :wink:

Thanks a lot you assholes, just spent $1600 and it’s all your fault.
Now at least you can save me some trial and error and tell me what filiaments and other things I want to buy and what I don’t want to waste my time and money on.

Is it here yet? I CAN’T WAIT!!!

4 Likes

My must haves

Prints stick to build plate with any glue or fuss

I like matte PLA, get a spool of white for lettering in 2 color prints

PLA-CF prints with 0.12mm layer height have the most beautiful surface quality

3 Likes

You have to be careful what you click on this shopping channel…I mean Langmuir website! :rofl: :innocent:

1 Like

Was Bambu, not langmuir
Although I am eyeballing a few of the tables when I get the shop straightened out

I did order the plate
Should I order from Bambu or is amazon a reliable source? PLA or petg for beginning or what?
I want to have a good variety to try but not anything that’s going to frustrate me.
Bambu seems to be out of stock of a lot of it, like that white you recommended.

If you’re new to 3D printing, just get some fun colors, play around and have fun. Download some designs from printables or thingiverse. I’ve burned through many spools just goofing around.

1 Like

Get it from Bambu. It has the build plate locator QR code. Aftermarket plates do not and you will have to baby sit the printer until it start, because it will gripe about no build plate marker and stop until you acknowledge the error. Bambu Lab has a closed eco system that the aftermarket has not succeeded in matching yet to make any plug and play parts. A Chinese company that has succeeded in locking their stuff down and keeping the others from rubber stamping/cloning it.

Once you get familiar with the printer and aspects of printing, then you can start with aftermarket plates (PEO, PET…) and other parts.

ETA…For what it’s worth, I have 978 hours on mine with 0 breakdown time. Idiot print fails, but no breakdowns. I honestly can say that I don’t have anything else that has that kind of use on it that is problem free aside from my vehicles.

2 Likes