Learning 3D printing

As fortune would have it I ended up with a 3D printed.

And this thing is so awesome and cant even believe it.

I had never even touch a 3d printer before Monday night when my kids and I unboxed a new Bambu x-1 combo. So far the experience has been flawless.

I started out printing the preloaded models on the machine, then download some from Bambu and other sites and finally this morning I built my own model in Fusion 360 to test.

I’ll share a bunch of photos of the machine and my 1st prints.

I plan on using this topic to showcase my experience of learning this system.

!
Had to move my Tandy 1000tl to make room

IMG_20231205_091641_843|668x499

8 Likes

How I created a simple fusion 360 file and printed it with Bambu

Created a simple body in Fusion 360

In the mesh tab I used the export button on the far right to export a STL file

Now in Bambu studio I add the new part, fill out the details and slice plate.

Once it is sliced , review it and Print plate

10 minute later the part exists

3 Likes

Great choice of printer. It’s addicting to be able to design a thing and then have it in your hand, minutes or hours later.

Wait until you find out all of the things that you can do in Bambu studio, like adding logos and modifying models with Boolean operations.

You can import an SVG file and scale it into a 3d model by inserting a primitive on the build plate and then adding the SVG. Then you can scale the SVG by giving it depth and delete the original primitve, allowing you to print a 3d model of the SVG.

3 Likes

Pretty damn good prints for a ‘beginner’!
Sad that you had to shut down your Tandy computer though… :cry:

3 Likes

its all the printer and default settings. I followed the directions too.

Yes, but it has a new home in my library / oddities museum room not far from the payphone.

Sounds like a cool workflow , I have barely scratched the surface Bambu Studio.

3 Likes

AKA TARDIS?

3 Likes

I used Bambu studio to modify this tattoo machine grip that I had previously modeled for another machine.

Modeling internal threads is a pain in FreeCad, so I made a model of the tattoo machine with the threads and the needle cartridge locking mechanism in TinkerCad.

I opened my original model in Bambu studio and used a primitive solid cylinder to fill the inside of the model. Then I imported the TinkerCad model as a negative, centered both on the build plate and then lowered the negative model into place. This effectively uses the TinkerCad model as a Boolean cut tool to make the internal features.

3 Likes

That’s funny shit​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Do you oversize the cut model slightly when you do that?

Yes. I oversize it slightly to provide clearance. It took a couple of test prints to get the thread clearance correct.

Congrats on the X1C! I’ve had one for a year, no issues, I love it because it just works. A friend got one at their kickstarter, now 5 of us around town have them.

A couple of thoughts. Get the Bambu PEI build plate. Bambu Textured PEI Plate | Bambu Lab US
No glue, excellent first layer adhesion and bottom layer surface finish. Once you got PEI, you’ll never go back. I just clean it with an ISO wipe.

The Bambu PLA-CF is excellent, its a little expensive but print surface quality is superb. You can even 3D print M5 threads. Speaking of threads, learn to embed nuts into your prints. Most slicers, in your case, Bambu Studio, can create print pauses mid print. Have you done this before? I’ve even embedded bolts into 3D printed knobs.

embedded M5 nut

embedded M5 bolt - also check out the surface finish of PLA-CF

Let me know if you have any questions. Again, good decision and have fun.

4 Likes

Here’s something to print to learn about clearances.

https://www.printables.com/model/129499-clearance-test-a-new-challenge-who-unlocks-the-006/files

1 Like

Fusion model with plenty of clearance for the bolt to slide down after printing. There are no supports for this model.

layer before you pause.

pause the layer that covers the bolt. Use the inserted bolt as support for this layer. Slide the horizontal slider to see the layer print path. Right click on the vertical slider to insert a pause. See the pause icon next to horizontal slider?

2 Likes

That is really cool! I hadn’t thought of that, how common is it to be able to pause the print to do something like this? Is it available with the budget printers? I would like to get into 3D printing, but I would have to wait or start smaller… We are building a new house in the spring and my wife is tightening (read suspending) my discretionary spending fund until we finish the house.

2 Likes

Its very common to pause the print. Its not the printer that allows for pauses, its a slicer function. Most slicers support pauses.

1 Like

So when you insert the bolt how do you program the tip to avoid the bolt… or inserted item?

Tell your wife to may need to print something for the house and need to be quality. We well take the blame if she gets mad.

3 Likes

I’ve had a 3D printers for about 9 years and they’re a lot of fun and very handy. Here are some prints from my lab.

Raspberry Pi case

Video light mount

Ammeter enclosures

Gridfinity tool holder, uses magnets - https://gridfinity.xyz/ - get from thangs.com

6 Likes

My BIL just built a house at the other end of the road from where we are going to build. We were all sitting around talking at a family function and all the girls went over to the house to help my SIL pick something out… can’t remember if it was flooring or what… anyway after they left my BIL said he had already ordered whatever it was they were going to choose… I guess she kept changing her mind and after a couple of weeks she was back where she had started. Not sure how he recovered from that one, but they made it through! :rofl:

4 Likes

I have to say as long as I let mine have her critters she would live in a cardboard box. I used to sling her in the mudd every chance I had out on the four wheeler…
Back to the topic I am sure you get what you pay for if you really want to get into it. Maybe buy a used cheaper unit to get your feet wet and make sure you will stick with it

1 Like