Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60I

Thank you I will try that tomorrow morning

Please at your own risk.

Being Itā€™s at arms length. if I was there in the flesh Iā€™d definitely be triple checking things with a multimeter.

I also hoped someone else may and chime in that owns one of these machines.

From the reading Iā€™ve done in both the manuals it seems to be quite a high quality machine.

Yes my dad and uncle have used thermal dynamics for many years I guess that is why I decided to use one.

Has anyone hooked a thermal dynamics cutmaster 60i to raw voltage for thc and got it to work? Iā€™m hooked up but Iā€™m getting a resting voltage of 13.2 so it wonā€™t work.

Mine has a resting voltage of zero but thatā€™s read at the cnc port. However Iā€™m not getting a good running voltage read, like nothing at all). I was going to try live voltage to see if I can get a read with the vim box. Langmuir sent me a motion control board already and it resolved other issues I was having, but Iā€™m wondering if I have a bad vim as well.

Ok thank you Iā€™m starting to get fed up.
If you do hook to live voltage could you let me know what your resting voltage is?
Thanks again.

TnT, I donā€™t have my table yet but If youā€™re are still having problems after I get mine set up, I will try to help.

Iā€™ve been following this thread and the issues that youā€™re dealing with. This is why I got the Automation interface kit for mine. I didnā€™t want to tap in to any wires or connections and risk voiding the warranty either. Iā€™m going to pick up my table Monday so I canā€™t be of much help for now.

1 Like

@TnT Well my table is assembled and I ran the break in program without issue BUTā€¦Iā€™m having the same resting voltage issue as you are(as well as a couple of other things). My 60i has the automation board installed and Iā€™m showing live volts of 12.4 +/-. From following the troubleshooting flow chart and testing it may be the THC is bad. Sent Langmuir a email detailing all and Iā€™m waiting for a response from them now. We may have the same problem but I donā€™t think itā€™s our plasma cutters.

I borrowed a hypertherm 45xp from a friend no live voltage and it worked great. I called into thermal dynamics and they said it shouldnā€™t be that way but they didnā€™t have a answer that was last Friday they were going to call me back on Monday but I still havenā€™t heard back from them. Luckily my dealer has a new hypertherm sitting there and said they would take mine back. So Iā€™m on the fence my family has had very good luck with thermal dynamics but Iā€™m getting tired of chasing my tail. Unplug your thc from from your Langmuir cabnet and see if you still have live voltage

I did unplug the divided voltage cable from the THC box and only 282 mv(less then 1/3 of 1 volt). that was coming straight off the automation interface plug. I hope itā€™s not the TD plasma cutter. Iā€™ve seen others on here who have them and donā€™t seem to have any issues. Iā€™m going to chase this down til I get it figured outā€¦got to be something simple.

I agree if I hear anything back from TD I will keep you posted.

1 Like

Just talked to TD Tech Service and they said call the dealer and get it replaced. Waiting for a call back from them (IOC) now.

Iā€™m Following and very interested in this.

Did thermodynamics figure itā€™s the actual output of their unit?

Its is it the voltage input module from langmuir?

I thought it also might be interesting to do an ohm test on all the inputs and outputs of the voltage input module while not under power.

Thanks for keeping this topic current.

That sounds good Macguyver I will call them back again today and see if the lady I talked to heard back from her boss. Thank you

TD tech guy did not elaborate on why it has voltage present. He just said take it back to the dealer and get it replaced. Langmuir tech support emailed me back last Friday and said the issue was in the 60i and not in the THC. I tested everything I could following the THC troubleshooting flow chart and also tested the outputs with the hand torch and the machine torch connected and got the same results. The readings are not consistent eitherā€¦they range from 8.2 to 17.4 thru Fire Control and 13.0 to 13.3 at the raw voltage connections and 175 to 282mV from the divided voltage pins at the automation interface card in the 60i. I donā€™t think weā€™ll find out the root cause from TD and I donā€™t have the testing equipment to probe deeper into the circuit boards. Iā€™m pretty sure the THC interface box between the plasma cutter and the electronics box on the table is just a shunt.

This really doesnā€™t help your trouble. But the TD 60i has had nothing but trouble with the PCBā€™s from the time Esab started making them.

Houstonā€¦We have a solution!!!

With the help of Thermal Dynamics Tech support (Ana & Gene) over the past few days I have a working system. The 60i(X) is a very capable machine and with a simple wiring modification works very well on the Crossfire XR table. The 60i has a live voltage at the torch tip of 10-15 volts until the trigger is activatedā€¦this is for the pilot arc. This is normal and not a malfunction in this plasma cutter. Fire Control/THC is seeing this live voltage and it causes a delay in firing the torch when the program is started resulting in a fault which stops the program and reports it as an error. The work around Iā€™ve figured out will only work with the Automation Interface card installed in the 60i(which basically makes it a 60iX). It has an ā€œOK to Moveā€ relay in it that tells the torch circuit itā€™s OK to fire and move. The plug going in to the J1 outlet(14 pin I/O port on the Automation Interface card) is where the wiring modification is done. Pins 3 & 4 are torch trigger, pins 5 & 6 are divided voltage and pins 12 & 14 are ā€œOK to Moveā€ relay. To make the 60iX work right with the THC, Pin 5(DV-) is connected to pin 12 and pin 14 is connected to the VIM DV- input. This disconnects the live voltage to the THC until the torch is triggered by Fire Control. However, This solution DOES NOT work if using raw voltage to the VIM. The ā€œOK to Moveā€ relay is only rated for 30 volt ac/dc 1 amp MAX. I will draw a schematic up and post it later but I donā€™t have it done yet to add here now.

2 Likes

I still need to do a little minor tweaking but Itā€™s working like a dream! Iā€™m tickled pink! :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow! Thatā€™s a beast. Makes me wish I had the room.

And was retired so Iā€™d have the time. :slight_smile: