Thc won’t fire in program

The first G4 line would be G4 P1.3, if 1.3 seconds is long enough.

I tested the Sheetcam modified post processor and it adds a full 2 seconds to the programmed delay for the first pierce. Some testing may be necessary for you to find what works best for your machine.

1 Like

So my assumption is once I generate g code through fusion with Firecontrol post processor, I can edit the .nc file in notepad, first G4 line to P1.3 save file, open in Fire control and give it a try, correct?

Yes. Generate the file with the pierce delay that you want to use on all the subsequent pierces. Then open the .nc file in Notepad and modify the first G4 line and save. Then just open the file in Firecontrol and run it.

1 Like

Ok I’ll give it a shot. Thanks. And to original poster, sorry for the thread hijack, its just interesting we have same exact setup and same problem!

1 Like

@daemonjeep no worries I had same assumption but haven’t had time to check it.

I’m going to add @Macguyver to this conversation. He has had some good success with his thermal dynamics and maybe he could share some of his experience with you

Thanks for the add in @TinWhisperer but I’m not sure I can help as I’ve not had an issue like this nor has my friend in AZ. who’s table I set up. I run a Cutmaster 60iX w/cpc cable and his Cutmaster 58 using raw voltage but I don’t think he’s had much time to work with his(because of work). I’ve done a few multiple pierce cuts with my table and they worked perfect every time. I have set the pierce in the post with no additional changes to the g-code. I’ve also never set the pierce delay that long, .8 secs on 1/2" plate max.

Last thing I cut, this has 21 pierces.

2 Likes

Well that bit of information helped considerably. now we know that some thermal dynamic units behave completely different than others when it comes to pierce delay.

Saw blade looks good! that’s super high carbon steel sure cuts nice eh?

1 Like

Thanks and Yes, I’m super happy with it! :grinning:

1 Like

It appears they’re are 3 ways to wire up a Cutmaster. @Macguyver do you have the full automation circuit board or just the basic cable off the main board? I am tapped directly to torch switch wires with the supplied connectors in the crossfire pro kit. They way Langmuir set up is it leaves out “ok to move” circuit that is bout in to the Cutmaster82. A lot of the diy build kits seem to utilize this circuit some how. The owners manual shows the pin out fir it but I’m not savvy enough to figure it out.

@Macguyver @daemonjeep does your torch fit with bolts given? I have SL60 hand torch and had to use 1/4-20s I had because the stainless bolts it came with were to short.

@Duhicky I have an XR table using the SL100 machine torch and yes I installed the automation card. Look at this post. It explains how I used the “OK to Move” circuit too. Note…It does not work when using raw voltage.

If I remember correctly, I did have to acquire some longer stainless 1/4 20 socket head bolts. I have same torch SL60

@Macguyver Thank you that is great info. I have an SL100sv machine torch that I just received. I hope to get to hook up today. Do you recall what your THC was measuring during tests? I get 0v as I am not hooked into that circuit.
Hoping to make this all work without the automation card. I lucked into the Cutmaster82 for free and got the machine torch for half price used. The automation card is over $300 now. Hoping to not have to spend it just yet.

If you are using raw voltage you can not go thru the "OK to Move " relay. It is only rated for 30 volts @ 1 amp. You would have to route the raw voltage thru a separate relay rated for up to 300 volts. You could power the relay thru the “OK to Move” but I don’t know where you could pull power to activate it when you needed the torch to fire.
The Cutmaster 60iX supplies 10-15 volts all the time for the pilot arc. The THC in FireControl sensed that and would not fire the torch. It needs to see 0 volts. I routed the 50:1 divided voltage (that’s what the THC senses) thru the “OK to Move” relay. That solved my problem.
My friends Cutmaster 58 does not have live voltage at the torch like my 60iX and I wired his in to raw voltage to the VIM box using the supplied banana plugs. We did some test cuts and didn’t have any issues.
I don’t know if the Cutmaster 82 has live volts all the time or not. You would need the check with a volt meter to know. Edit…I see you have 0 volts. You might have to bite the bullet and get the automation card. I have seen stand alone divided voltage cards but I have no idea if they would work with your Cm 82.

I hooked up the Machine torch SL100sv and set pierce delay to .05 and everything worked perfect. The thermal dynamics torch connection is call the ATC. there is a different pin out between them. Both have the PIP (parts in place) circuit for the consumables. However the SL100sv machine torch does not have the trigger switch pins 3 & 4 and instead has pins 7 & 8. I believe these activate the air solenoid that is on the torch. This seems to some how switch the need for the long pierce delay while running the machine torch. In addition to that with the raw voltage hook up as @Macguyver stated the “ok to move” circuit has no affect.
When I run the THC test with machine torch I get a very high reading. it was around 220v and the torch does not stay on but is like in a rapid fire mode during the live tests.

I’m not sure if the SL100sv will work without the automation card installed. I’m using the SL100 and the pin outs are the same as the hand torch. Also, Is your CM 82 set on “Rapid Auto Restart”? That would explain the rapid fire.

No it was on normal cut mode not rapid. Machine torch worked really well and didn’t have to adjust the first pierce time in the g-code. Which is a real pain on cuts that have long travels between pierces.

1 Like

My SL60 did not fit either. I removed 0.1" from all four faces on the mill and it works just fine now.

Was having the same problem with my Cutmaster 82. My lazy short-term workaround is to just tap the trigger on the torch starting the air flow. By the time I hit START in firecontrol the pre-flow has done its thing and all works at it should.

Torch didn’t fit the holder either so bored it true to size in the mill.

1 Like