THC not detecting voltage

They lay out several different ways of going about it in the assembly PDF depending on your application. Depending on the age of your Prime weld and whether you hooked up to raw or divided voltage there may be issues.

Both the prime weld and the table are roughly 3-6 month old.

And it does not use the red and black top ports on the THC box. They are connected with black wires to the side of the box that needed to be spliced in.

IIRC I remember seeing something in the instructions stating my machine needed it the way I wired it. Because originally I was going to use the red and black wires but read to not and had to cut n splice the other connectors instead.

As well as in the prime weld manual stated something that was used in the prime weld manual that stated to use those wires and pin layouts.

I would double check CPC pin locations

It sounds like you’re using the divided voltage.

After looking in my manual for the instructions I used on my prime weld.

Yes I’m using the DVI with pins 4 and 6… Which worked fine for the last few months until this weekend.

So I am using divided.

Manual here (page 29)

PrimeWeld Cut 60 Manual

I didn’t realize that you had been using the THC successfully in the past.

I seen you were just talking about the plasma unit itself that you had been using.

I would check for loose electrical connections.

And then I would check for voltage after the vim. Or really anywhere along that line

It’s about finding out where the electrical buck stops.

Have you gone thru the THC troubleshooting guide? Should help you pinpoint the problem.

Other than that, did you maybe unplug the cables from the VIM box for whatever reason and connected them back in the wrong ports? Since you’re using divided voltage, you should be using the DV IN/OUT ports on the box. Cutter → DV IN / DV OUT → control box.

I’ve tried the wire pull test, I’ve checked all connection points. Removed and reseated plug connections, I ran the THC test option on FireControl, and checked plug in connections and it’s all correct.

I haven’t busted out my multi meter yet.

Was wondering if you fixed your problem with voltage on thc?

No I was not.

I get 20v into the barrel connector into the Div THC box on firing. And 0 out of the THC box. So my power is stopping at the box.

And I also get 14.5v constant into the IHC from the machine.

I’m starting to believe my THC box is dead.

It is a possibility.

I know some of the older PW Cut 60s were somewhat unreliable with the voltage divider at the CNC port. Langmuir mentioned that in one of their PSA’s. After I saw that I switched mine to the raw voltage. Try chasing it with your multimeter. Perhaps you could wire to your raw voltage and see if it works. There are a couple of different threads that show how to do it on here. It is pretty easy… hardest part is they use what seems like 100 screws to hold everything together.

If you are getting 20v at the DIV input, your plasma cutter is not set up for 50:1 divided voltage. The LS THC troubleshooting guide specifies between 1.2 and 3 volts. I don’t know how much it can handle, but 20v might have fried the VIM internals.

If you are getting 14.5v resting voltage, something is definitely wrong with the wiring or something is bridging the contacts in the IHS system.

2 Likes

Not sure how.

I ran Pin 4 and Pin 6 to the THC as instructed which is the 1:50 div.

And ON/OFF to Pin 1 and Pin 2 which as per instructions are both right.

Checked connections on both sides of the pins. Correct.

And there is no way of bridging being each individual pin solder has its own heat shrink, as well as each wire, as well as the entire wire bundle. That’s 6 heat shrink connections in total with no exposed connections or wiring.

Page 29 of the CNC connection in the Primeweld manual

I’m not saying you hooked it up wrong, I’m saying its not putting out 50:1 divided voltage. Even with the 300v spike at start up, it should only be putting out 6v.

Read the 4th paragraph.

1 Like

I’m speaking to Langmuir about the issue now.

2 Likes

Would like to hear how you resolved this issue. I just started having this issue but have a Razorweld 45. It cuts if you disable the THC.

So after getting ahold of both Langmuir and Prime weld. My cutter is putting out 20v which blew a resistor. I opened it and confirmed the first one in line of the positive on the board is burnt.

Both companies sent me a new THC, and Cutter. But I haven’t used the new THC because the new welder is still putting out 20v like the last one…

Problem is I haven’t had time to retest and get ahold of prime weld about the issue about the new machine. And Langmuir for obvious reasons said DO NOT hook up the new THC box until I can get voltage output of my cutter down to the 3v range

Did Primeweld send you the updated cutter (cnc port on upper right)? I haven’t seen/heard anyone with the updated cutters having issues with cnc port.

If anything you can wire is for RAW voltage and still use the original VIM box. the divided and RAW voltage lines are separate so the RAW voltage side still works.

1 Like

Both models I’ve owned were the Gen 3 2022 models.

But yea I’ve been thinking of just running raw voltage.

I think that would be best. As we know that works.