RockMountainFab - Build and Burn - My Experience

Also used up some misc. scraps and threw this together. Sure has turned out useful for me.
It should be self explanatory.

She is quite heavy, but is very stable and rolls around a clean smooth shop floor without grunting too much. :wink:

2 Likes

On the Artsy side, made this one for a 2 month old’s room. It’s a 2 layer with the Rose’s welded to her name. Not enough meat to trust sticky tape to hold it together.

2 Likes
  1. the heating system for you table actually looks pretty comfortable…almost like a bed with a plams cutter at the foot of it…

2. would love some more pictures of the rolling cart with the metal rack…looks like it would be a great idea for my shop addition next year.

3. thank for sharing the pictures.

1 Like

@RockMountainFab- Do you have any tips for cutting thicker material? I am struggling with severe beveling while cutting thicker plate(1/4-3/8"). I have direction correct(CCW for inside cuts and CW for exterior cuts) and have been all over the spectrum trying to find the right cutting speed. I am using 60 amps with all new consumables and still am not getting this dialed in. I use a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 which uses 3/16" cut height(steel). I am thinking this sounds a bit high but I have tried lower and all it does is burn up nozzles. My air is clean and dry so I don’t suspect much there. Anyway, I really am just scratchin my head on this. I actually bought this table for cutting thicker material and so far it has been a disappointment. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I have a different 65Amp Cutter but I run 1/4" mild steel with these settings 45Amps 47.25IPM(1200mmM) @ 60PSI (.06 nozzle clearance for the CF without THC) With no real bevel on the cut.
3/16 would be the same settings with a Travel speed of 63IPM (1600mmM)
I am not picky about CCW or CW it doesn’t seem to matter.
I have noticed that on thicker material Pressure and Travel speed have more impact than Current (within reason) on cut quality.

Your CutMaster Manual shows the torch standoff to be 1/8-3/8". But if you’re using the drag shield cup it should be touching the metal for material up to 3/16" and then spaced up for thicker metal. But this is for hand operation.

There’s section in the manual that covers machine cutting. It states peircing should be done as high as possible and maintain an arc. But that cutting should be done between 1/8"-1/4" (exposed tip to plate)
I’d try 1/8" (.125) for 1/4" plate and adjust from there.
Your cutter also like to run higher and faster recommended settings are 60A 80IPM with 70PSI (from the manufacturer’s literature) for 1/4" plate.
in case you don’t have the manual Cutmaster 52 Manual
Even if you’re using the hand torch with the CF table. Use the machine cutting recommendations as a starting point. It’s still a machine cut after all.

You should be able to get good cuts with your machine and this table.
Don’t give up you’re close! (post some pictures of the cuts if you need more help!)

I saw this in another thread here. Thought it might help.
plasma%20taper%20issues

1 Like

Did our local small town (3000 pop), Christmas Bizarre, even though the Chamber of Commerce shut down all the towns main street activities this year. The people that came out, braved cold weather to come inside for a bit, get some hot chocolate and shop local crafters. We did a little over $700 in total sales over 7 hours, and had a blast. Made a number of contacts, handed out over a hundred business cards, and got 3 custom orders…

Part of the sales were for a piece that we raffled for charity. This Give-Away is good for business. It shows commitment to your community, and helps build a good reputation. It creates a Buzz about you for a bit. The piece was 28"x22" and 3 coats of rattle can satin black. We raised a total of $230 for the local food bank, and made a couple of videos to announce the winner on Facebook. It was a lot of fun! And it might even drum up more business!

Heres the raffle prize…

These others sold like hot cakes as well…
I used 1/2" copper rivets to fasten the handles to the tree saws and squished in a HF 20 ton shop press to secure. Got a lot of compliments on them and sold all 4…(guess I should have made 8…LOL
The first Grinch sold within minutes of posting an ad about the craft fair on Facebook. Again I should have made 8. And as I figured for a logging town, our chainsaws were a hit as well, sold 2, and 3 different logging outfits wanted custom names and larger saws…

All in all it was a fun day that left my wife and I broken but enriched… We’re looking forward to the next holiday. We have decided to do a charity raffle for each holiday during the year, and offer a piece based on the theme of each holiday. There’s enough holidays that it keeps our brand name active in the community, and helps others that are worse off.
Hope this helps inspire others to do the same… Happy Cutting Everyone !!!

5 Likes

3 days later, and some orders are still coming in. A strong FB presence is paying off. However, a lot of them want it by Christmas…:roll_eyes:
Having to turn down a few because of the time left to get it done… guess that’s a good thing, kinda :roll_eyes:
Part time my ass! I need some time to finish splitting my winters wood! :grin:

1 Like

:santa::santa::santa: MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :santa::santa::santa:
I’ve heard through the grape vine that Santa has brought a few out there a new toy, or at least some pieces of it…:grin:
I hope that every one is enjoying the world of CNC Plasma cutting! I sure am having a good time learning and earning with my Pro? Covid slowed down the traffic at shows the last part of the year, but it worked out well. The people that I met were eager to have someone local to work with. And, it wasnt too overwhelming all at once. I was able to see where our weaknesses in the sales department were, and have been filling the holes here and there. Being able to accept credit cards was a plus. Book keeping is a different story…lol
Still need some work there.

Anyway, I hope the New Year offers great gifts, business and experiences for everyone of you out there.
2021 has got to be better you would think…:thinking:
Cant be much worse…lol.

:santa::santa::santa: MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR :santa::santa::santa:

2 Likes

One of the hardest things I’ve had to do is keep a secret for over 3 months on a custom project. I was commissioned to make this back in September and delivered to the client later that month. It was a birthday present for one of our local law enforcement officers. He is a big Punisher fan and kept trying to get me to make him something for his man cave. It has been hard stalling, knowing that his wife already had this present for him.
Well his birthday was the 29th and he absolutely loves it.
So now that the secret is out, I can actually share the first 2 layer art I made. The “2011” is his badge number.

:tada::confetti_ball::balloon: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE ! :confetti_ball::balloon::tada:

Client approval image and Completed project.

My only regret was not carrying the backer down to the teeth…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

It turned out really nice!

1 Like

That is really awesome. I’ve enjoyed reading your story as I’m trying to make the same path in a way. Keep up the good work!!!

1 Like

Looks great! What did you use to attach the backer plate to the front plate? How did you do that?

1 Like

Used 3M #30 automotive molding tape from Napa, everywhere I could fit a small piece. But remember tape is only as strong as the paint its stuck to.

Very cool! Im sure he’s very proud to have it!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Finished another project the other day and got it delivered. So cool to see how happy it can make people.
It’s 47x32 12 Gauge for hanging outdoors on a couple of chains. Many coats of primer and satin black. Threaded cut off 1/4 bolts through it and plug welded on the front. Made for a clean look on the back and very secure mounting. Weighs 22lbs.
Couldn’t have been much bigger without indexing…

6 Likes

PS. You can sure find all the flaws in the files when you blow them up this size. Took quite a while to straighten up the saw blade portion and modify things to look good, but was worth the time to make it right. The teeth and vallies had square corners where it shouldn’t, and minor crap like that… I threw in the drops from the letters, as they are 7 inch tall and can be used elsewhere on their property.

2 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

That’s awesome

1 Like

Very nice looks great

1 Like