NOn profit for teen welding lab needs HELP! (solved)

Follow this trouble shooting guide from Langmuir

1 Like

I am suspicious of a ground loop also. Check continuity between the out side of the usb connector (the end that plugs into the computer) and the water table. Also reseating the thc module is a good idea.

ty i will do that next. i did not have to install my chip it was done at the factory. Should I still do that? I could not even think of how to start doing that. but i am game to try. As for the usb connection I will try changing the cord and see if that works.

As a side, I just cut a piece for the customer and it looks decent I will try using it without thc for now and go from there.

You take the cover off of the control box and it sits on the board it is a red circuit board. You can find a picture on the Langmuir site.

The cable is probably not the issue. It is a ground loop created between the plasma cutter and the computer. You need to isolate the ground for the computer if possible.

Any suggestions on how to best ground the computer? I cant get it much further from the table. a diff cable or a grounding strap to something>?

Are you using a computer plugged into the wall?

I would investigate the grounding issue first. Watching your video it seems like an interference issue.

Your plasma cutter is set on 4t mode in that picture. It should be on the 2t mode for CNC use. The top light with the single ended up and down arrows.

2 Likes

Good catch. Even looking at the pic again I couldn’t see that!

1 Like

Are you certain the THC module is installed on the board? I’ve never heard of them being installed when you receive the table. It’s an add on option and the module comes in a static protected bag.

Is the green THC connection showing in the Firecontrol screen?

1 Like

I looked at that but wasn’t sure if that was the 2t/4t switch, why bother to label it. That does seem strange that it works with out thc turned on though.

1 Like

Put it on 2T and then try turning THC back on and see where we’re at.

yes the computer is plugged into the wall

made the switch on the plasma cutter. No luck with THC

Hey Neil,

We’re familiar with an issue that affects THC while the laptop’s charger is plugged in. The grounding circuit is pushing a small amount of voltage through your computer’s USB port, which is adding errant voltage to the THC module. You can try the following:

1. Only use FireControl while your laptop computer is disconnected from its charging cable

2. Replace your grounded 3-prong laptop charger with an ungrounded 2-prong laptop charger

3. Use a USB isolator between the USB cable and USB port

The forum is an excellent resource full of helpful and knowledgeable people, but feel free to reach out to us at support@langmuirsystems.com as well for additional support!

3 Likes

i 100% did not install the chip. I will try taking this apart tomorrow and go from there. Running this with THC off is working but producing garbage parts. I will try again tomorrow. TY all for the help. I will be back in here chatting tomorrow and see if we can resolve this.

1 Like

It is not a laptop it is a desktop PC … would the same issue exist? I will look into getting a usb isolator

The same issue would exist assuming the computer is plugged into the wall via a three-prong power cable.

If you reach out to our support email, we’re happy to provide a USB isolator free of charge!

I find it quite strange that you’re reporting that the THC module was pre-installed onto your Motion Control Board. THC is an optional add-on, so the THC module ships completely separately from the rest of the machine. Shipping out pre-installed THC modules is not something we have ever done.

1 Like

lol… maybe I did install it… its been over a year since i put this together. i do not recall installing that as its something i am timid doing.