NOn profit for teen welding lab needs HELP! (solved)

Try using a ground adapter for the computer. Or break the grounding pin off of the chord.

1 Like

ez… will do

This is the THC module

This is the THC guide it is very informative.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/thc/guide

1 Like

I have seen some YouTube videos that showed issues with the THC which were ultimately traced back to either a metal powerstrip mounted to the cutting table, or a new laptop swingarm that was directly installed to the table without insulating sleeves.

The table needs to be electronically isolated from the PC, ControlBox and THC (IIRC)… so if you have inadvertently created a new ground path for the THC voltage through the table somehow you won’t get any voltage reading at all.

Easy to check continuity with a DMM across various points to confirm. My guess (based on my own limited experience) is this will end up being the culprit.

Good Luck!!!

-TM

2 Likes

So would it be a good idea to put ground isolating pads under the feet of the table? and or the table the pc is sitting on along with the ground eliminator on the pc and the usb isolator? Just isolate everything?

I don’t think pads under the feet will do anything but the others are worthwhile. I think getting the computer isolated from the ground the table and it’s electronics are using is the real issue.

2 Likes

A great video highlighting what you are talking about. I have not proven yet that this is my issue atm. But will update as soon as my isolators arrive

1 Like

@RiseAbove

Yep! That’s the video I was referring to!!! The guy unwittingly created a ground path by mounting a non-insulated laptop stand to the table and suddenly he had all sorts of issues. The solution was easy once he figured out the underlying cause.

-TM

1 Like

for now you can accomplish the same thing by trying a laptop with firecontrol and not plugging it in to the charger while tring to cut. Just download fire control to it and give it a shot if you have access to a laptop. If that’s not it we can continue the troubleshooting. Are you able to cut parts at least? I saw before you were not able to get the quality you want. You may need to manually adjust the cut height until you find what works for your material until the THC issue is resolved. People were cutting on these machines without THC succesfully so you should be able to limp along to satisfy your customer until the THC is fixed.

2 Likes

I received the USB isolator from Langmuir today. Where do I install it on the chain? At the pc and then reconnect the cable to the isolator? or at the table control box and plug the usb cable in? Does it matter?

The isolator should be USB-A male on one end and USB-A female on the other. It should plug directly to a USB port on your computer, then you connect the USB cable from the machine to the isolator.

This issue is resolved. It was 100% a grounding issue. I would say that this issue should be highlighted when you buy one of these machines. The kit should contain a couple 2 prong plugs and a usb isolator. For the cost of these items, Langmuir would save customers a lot of potential headaches. The PR saved would be invaluable to Langmuir. Its a known issue clearly… make sure everyone is in the know! Help rookies like us from making the same mistake! TY everyone for weighing and trying to help our students and me. You guys are all amazing!

3 Likes

I have marked this topic solved…glad you found the issue…

This may be a known issue, but it does not affect everyone…
Langmuir provides great support and a great product…for the price bracket…

Having been here for 2 years…even if Langmuir supplied these things I would bet that people would seem to forget them or not even want to install them…we have seen people build the tables and have left over parts…a wobbly table even though the instructions are really well done…

5 Likes