NOn profit for teen welding lab needs HELP! (solved)

use a 1/16" shim to set the height

1 Like

Do you have a multimeter you can check continuity of your THC signal wires going into and coming out of the VIM

I am using a very good desk top pc that is about 10 ft from the table and 6 ft from the plasma cutter

I just shut the THC off and its CUTTING!!! so what causes that?

ok so with thc off its cutting how do I fix that issue? I would like to use THC if possible

video of it not working

Follow this trouble shooting guide from Langmuir

1 Like

I am suspicious of a ground loop also. Check continuity between the out side of the usb connector (the end that plugs into the computer) and the water table. Also reseating the thc module is a good idea.

ty i will do that next. i did not have to install my chip it was done at the factory. Should I still do that? I could not even think of how to start doing that. but i am game to try. As for the usb connection I will try changing the cord and see if that works.

As a side, I just cut a piece for the customer and it looks decent I will try using it without thc for now and go from there.

You take the cover off of the control box and it sits on the board it is a red circuit board. You can find a picture on the Langmuir site.

The cable is probably not the issue. It is a ground loop created between the plasma cutter and the computer. You need to isolate the ground for the computer if possible.

Any suggestions on how to best ground the computer? I cant get it much further from the table. a diff cable or a grounding strap to something>?

Are you using a computer plugged into the wall?

I would investigate the grounding issue first. Watching your video it seems like an interference issue.

Your plasma cutter is set on 4t mode in that picture. It should be on the 2t mode for CNC use. The top light with the single ended up and down arrows.

2 Likes

Good catch. Even looking at the pic again I couldn’t see that!

1 Like

Are you certain the THC module is installed on the board? I’ve never heard of them being installed when you receive the table. It’s an add on option and the module comes in a static protected bag.

Is the green THC connection showing in the Firecontrol screen?

1 Like

I looked at that but wasn’t sure if that was the 2t/4t switch, why bother to label it. That does seem strange that it works with out thc turned on though.

1 Like

Put it on 2T and then try turning THC back on and see where we’re at.

yes the computer is plugged into the wall

made the switch on the plasma cutter. No luck with THC