Mr-1 tips & tricks & mods

Yes some riser blocks is the way to do this for sure- and I agree that the reduction in rigidity would be manageable.

2 Likes

I see the option for 4th axis material work having a lot to do with potentially being able to raise the gantry with some blocks.

3-4 inch blocks could make for some real flexibility in 4th axis work.

Yeah, im thinking at least 3" between the x axis gantry and y rails. Seems the most logical now. Especially if a 4 axis it coming in the future. Looks like a job for my PM Mill.

1 Like

I know exactly what this is. It is not due to the limit switches, it is the gantry causing tension. In order to alleviate this, I realized that I had the gantry forward on one side, and back on the other, then tried to square which was difficult as well. To solve this, I loosened the gantry entirely and made sure to push hard on each end as I retightened. Then redo the squaring process. That sound is when the stepper has insufficient torque to make the move. Anyway, I suspect there is a slight bind going on here as it was with mine. When you tell the stepper to go fast, the torque curve actually drops significantly so it cannot overcome the bind.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue during my gantry squaring. Where they recommend adjustment by hand turning one Y ball screw, I couldn’t get them to properly square. I had to loosen one side of the gantry’s horizontal and tap it into a little. Then, square up with the hand turn method. Otherwise it seemed like the difference was consistent and just offset either way with the hand turning

Albeit, mine didn’t bind up, it was only like a 5 thou difference I was chasing in

2 Likes

I made a video about what I have done so far with the MR-1.

12 Likes

The laptop stand, if it had a lip on the front edge would make a decent tool tray mounted opposite of the PC/touchscreen.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing the STL file for that tool setter spacer? I’m setting mine up very similar to yours, only two vises, once I finally get time to start assembling it.

I did similar to probe storage

File: MR-1 Probe Holder by Kozmonot - Thingiverse

5 Likes

if someone were to make these riser blocks would you recommend to make them and install as you build the base machine or after its been built? reason i ask is that tramming and z axis takes time and would be nice to just do all that once. I was thinking of making risers on my amnual mill 1 1/2" taller for the Mr-1 as im almost there to mount the x axis.

You’d have to do them after you machined the base plate most likely.

Idk if this mod will get me banned, but it’s hilarious

I’ve sent them to friends to be snuck onto others machines and has caused a bit of laughter.

9 Likes

Where did you get that. I have friends that need that on thier machines lol

1 Like

I 3D printed it. The orange I had just managed to match perfectly.

I made some covers for the newer Haas style halo nozzles too :rofl:

Link: Coolant Wee Wee by Kozmonot - Thingiverse

4 Likes

Here’s a quick one I’m sure somebody else has already thought of but figured I’d just throw it out here; when adding or changing shims use a piece of wood and jog the spindle down slowly to increase the gap while you get them in place. Recommend orienting it as shown that way you can see the holes from the front.

4 Likes

Why it have to be circumsized?

Because it wasnt made prior to 1940

Since there are some 3D print tools here I’ll throw these here and in the Fireshare. One for the hold down clamp set and the other I use for staging tools to make parts. I bought some extra collet nuts from MSC, the Langmuir one actually seems a little higher quality (tighter threads) so would be cool if they throw those on the store.

Fixture Storage Print.stp (803.9 KB)
Tool Storage Print rev1.stp (1019.3 KB)

4 Likes

FYI, MR-1 spindles have non-standard collet threads.
Explained here.

I’m not sure if it’s been confirmed that are planning on staying with this unique thread size on all future machines.

I like the fixture storage tray, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

:melting_face: Wish I read that one before buying nuts off MSC. Haven’t pushed them too hard and they have held up, but good to know I should probably get rid of those nuts.