MR1 ER20 collet nut issue(Solved)

Use of aftermarket ER20 collet nuts. My machine seems to be a different spindle thread than the 25mm 1.5mm standard. The OEM nut fits perfectly and seems to be 24mm x 1.5. Anyway it’s a full 1 MM smaller than the standard.

It may be just my machine but, I certainly don’t want anyone to get hurt or damage their spindle threads.
I did not see this problem till it was brought to my attention by AlexW. You would never know it unless you put it on the spindle without a collet inserted.

3 Likes

There’s two types of commercially available ER20 collet nuts- one comes with M24x1.0 threads and the other comes with M25x1.5 threads.

When we were designing the MR-1 spindles we accidentally spec’ed an M24x1.5 thread on the drawing. By the time spindle shafts were in production, it was too late. The only option we had available was to customize the collet nut threads to be M24x1.5 to match.

We’ve got a good supply of these collet nuts now so we’ll make them available for purchase on the website.

4 Likes

Hey thanks. good to know.

1 Like

Straight talking, to the point and including the solution. I like that!

Anyone who has a machine in their shop that takes a ER20A collet nut can have 14 brand new nuts. Just pay me for shipping and they are yours. Due to the fact that they don’t fit my MR1, they are of no use to me. They are all brand new in the boxes. You can email me or just respond to the forum.
jmessar2166@gmail.com

1 Like

I would take some and have no issues giving you something for them? I will send you an email. I have a router that also takes this

1 Like

You got it. Just tell me how many. No charge. No worries.

1 Like

I would think 5 or 6 would be plenty and give someone else a few if needed. Do you have paypal?

No charge pal… Just send me your address. Its better than throwing them out.
Recycling right?

1 Like

You don’t want me to at least pay shipping? I will email you my address.

I will send 6 out Monday morning. No charge. Glad you can use them.
8 left for the others guys.

3 Likes

I just sent you my info

Good dude right there!!!

1 Like

I got 8 more left if anyone wants them.
ER20-A collet nuts. Free👍 just email me
jmessar2166@gmail.com

1 Like

@ bigdaddy21666,

You clearly have those nuts for a reason (although sized wrong). What is your operating philosophy that uses a bunch of nuts. This is all new to me so I am not getting it.
Thanks,

Sbdon

I set up all my often used collets with the nut attached.
My thought was it would speed up the process. I was wrong. The time saved was not worth the effort.

Wow. Thanks.

Sbdon

I like to blow out the taper inside the collet nut each time I install a new collet. Otherwise chips can get in there and cause runout. So, for me, having more than one collet nut wouldn’t be a benefit for me either.

2 Likes

On a prior machine with an ER spindle I found it helpful to keep nuts setup with tools and collets inserted. It allowed for faster tool changes and I could keep them all labeled with the tool numbers so that I quickly knew what to grab when doing a tool change.

I’ll probably buy a few of them when they are listed. On the MR-1 it would be nice to have a dedicated collet nut and collet for the probe since I use it so frequently.

2 Likes

As a fellow design engineer, it makes me feel better that I’m not the only one that encounters these kinds of mistakes; bet that was a bad day. I love the honesty, thanks!

2 Likes