MR-1 First Parts. Post them here 🦾

The Knight has emerged

Or maybe Mr. Ed :horse: your decide. Needs a little edge clean up. I wasn’t willing to chance a chamfer operation, F360 was having a rough time recognizing the wedge shape of the stock left by op #1. Still had some passes cutting air on the thinner end at the head, but much better cutting operation this time, thanks to @TinWhisperer for getting me on the right track for the stock orientation and @langmuir-mike for posting the cutting parameters sheet, I made adjustments accordingly.

I’ll post a short video later

11 Likes
10 Likes

Cool as heck. Great first stainless project. Good to see your rapids back up to speed with the sub to fusion. My CNC machining is currently strictly hobby. So I find work arounds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty cool. Could you not do full depth of cut? was that machine limiting or the tool? Maybe less step over?
Just curious.
T

Yes. I was able to do full depth on the contour finish pass, the profile is much thinner compared to the nearly 1.5" on op #1. I left 4 thou for the finish pass, but that long mill still struggled to do a good cleanup.

I actually did an increased step over from the 0.0375" in op #1 to 0.040" with an increased RPM to 3700 as per the recommendations on the parameters posted by LS. Kept the same depth of cut, 0.100". The clearing operation was much smoother with these settings.

3 Likes

I’ll assume you made the model in F360, then took it into CAM to do the setup and path info…what did you select to post process the Gcode…???

You would use the Langmuir MR1 post processor from the download page after you load it to your machine files

1 Like

I don’t see an MR-1 listed in the F360 CAM library of machines to select from. So what file do you export out of F360 CAM to be able to post process via the Langmuir S/W…?

You have to download the Langmuir post into your machine file in Fusion. The directions are on the assembly page. I believe? Download it to your computer and click on the file folder in machine icon at the top menu bar in Fusion. Don’t remember exactly but someone here will help you.

Here is a link to the instructions to install the post processor:
Install CutControl Post Processor

3 Likes

My first attempt at thread milling. Went pretty well. No crashes but my thread offset was a little big. Fits good but could be a little tighter.

8 Likes

Solid start!

1 Like

Perfect this time. 1/2-13 thread offset .003
:sunglasses:

9 Likes

I did a similar thing. The Pucker factor is super high when you’re trying to threadmill a 4-40 hole.

7 Likes

What brand thread mill did you use. We use Carmex multi tooth thread mills at work and they work way better than single tooth ones do.

Lakeshore carbide multi tooth. Worked great.
Very expensive, don’t want to break any.

Lakeshore makes good stuff as well.

I watched this as it randomly popped up in my youtube feed earlier today. Nice work!

1 Like

First part off our mill today. These will be for a customers box and pan brake to hold the fingers onto the upper brake frame, the current clips he has are bending all over the place when they get torqued down. It took a few tries to get everything right and work the bugs out. A36 steel, 2 setups, 7 ops and 3 tool changes. The thread milling took multiple tries to get the fit loose enough to freely thread but that was mostly just me working up to the right pitch offset. Overall very happy with the mr1s performance and I have 16 more of these parts to run so it’ll be a good test for repeatability.

Two things I did notice after running this part and taking some measurements. The back jaw of my modular langmuir vise moves a good bit when It gets torqued down onto the part. I measured it with the dial indicator just to see and measured 3 thousandths of movement when the part was torqued to 30ft lbs which is what I ran them at. This is also why you see the small step in the side of the part where my top and bottom operations intersected after flipping the part over.

I also never noticed that the @langmuirsystems stub drill index doesn’t have common collet size shanks, they match the nominal size of the drill bit itself so I will either have to find a low profile drill chuck to work with the mr1 or find a bunch more collect sizes to be able to run all the sizes in the index.

4 Likes

I’m less familiar with the inch size collets, but generally the metric collets have a 1mm range and a 12pc set will cover basically any shank that will fit in an ER20.