Cutting 3/8in metal W/ Tips on settings and how to add pauses to your cut to help with duty cycle in Fusion

Manual

Here are a couple excerpts from the manual 53-54(4T-9 & 4T-10)

the 40 amp unshielded chart

the 60 amp unshielded chart

Some important notes.

ESAB has very high cutting heights (0.19")similar to the Hypertherm SYNC

In the 40amp chart pierce delay and height are NR this mean you sure only edge start it at this amperage so use the 60 amp chart.

The cut and pierce heights are the same height (.19") again similar to the new Hypertherm SYNC consumables.

Also a Different tip ( nozzle) is used for either 40 amps(part no 9-8208) or 60 amps (part no 9-8210)

Here is a look at the duty cycle page 18 (2-2)

@ 60 amps you get 5 minutes of cut time for every ten, so adding a pause or pausing maybe in order

Use the information for the 60 amp charts to get you started.

The kerf width information maybe in the manual too somewhere?

3 Likes

thanks for sending. The manual says for 3/8 the pierce height should be .19

the manual can be found here: https://www.thermal-dynamics.com/thermal-dynamics/shared/content/requestliterature/en/aseriesairplasmasystems/upload/0-5466-manual.pdf

Can you help show me where to set the IPM? I have seen people on the forum says for 3/8 to set the IPM to 15 but the manual says 50

ok thanks I will set the pierce height to .19 and pierce clearance to 0

Thanks for sending. I noticed in this other version of the manual that the kerf width is 0.09in. Do you know where to set that in fusion? Also where to set the IPM in fusion? manual is recommending 50. Others on the forum mentioned around 15.

Can you also mention how to add a pause? Thanks!

The kerf is set in the tool setting in the tool library of fusion. I already sent you a screenshot above that shows you where to set IPM in the 2D cut profile, first tab. I don’t think you can set pauses in Fusion I think you need to edit the G-code for that. You can pause it manuallly in Firecontrol. I would keep it simple until you have the basics down.

UPDATE: as @TinWhisperer points out you can in fact add it to the g code in Fusion, I stand corrected!

1 Like

You can. it appears to make proper code but i have not run an actually program doing this way.

Check this out

6:30am mst

+1 to this

here are some screen shots of where to find and see the pauses or “dwell” in CNC talk.

Right click on the setup in the browser bar > new operation>manual NC then select the dwell option and write in your delay in seconds

The other reason I personally don’t end up needing pauses is that I run a PowerMax 85 so I have a really decent duty cycle.

5 Likes

@TinWhisperer Just watched the video, I did not know that ws there! Thanks for the video and pointing it out!

1 Like

Great to use when a potential tip up issue can threaten a cut. I am going to try it and see if the simulation shows the pause, then start using this method. I’ve been trying to jump in there with a pole magnet and snag tip ups.

BTW, that first time when you tried to enter 20 secs and it only showed 5 in GCode, wasn’t sure if you remembered initially you entered 5, then backspaced over it and entered 20. Seems like that “crappy F360” liked the first answer the best :grin:

5 Likes

Thems fightin’ words!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Just quoting one of my all-time favorite threads on here. Crappy fusion 360 - Langmuir Systems Forum

BTW, I love F360. Love being able to switch back and forth between CAD and CAM for quick fine tuning.

3 Likes

Agreed. I rarely keep my same initial setup. Always wanting to tweak something.

I know this is gone from twitch, Looked on YouTube but did not see it. I see how its done, but not sure how you control where the pause goes?

1 Like

Unless you want to go into the tap file and enter the lines, I believe your option for us learning this is to put it in between tool paths.

You move the various tool paths (including the dwell “tool path”) with a left click and hold with the mouse and then move it up or down the tree of tool paths. You will see a line indicating where it will drop. Dropping by letting go of the left mouse button. So, you can create the dwell command/tool path at the end of the entire project and just move it to where you want.

That is what I remember from Tin’s demonstration. I admit that I forgot this instruction so the pictures were good for refreshing.

I feel like doing a little bit of live @Knick streaming today , I can recover this.

Anything else you want covered during the live stream?

I figure about 1:30 to 1:45 pm pst today. After I get my youngest down for his nap.

3 Likes

I won’t be able to watch live. Hopefully it will be available later.

I always like more understanding of the contour selection menus in the CAM. The part that really messes me up is when I try to edit a tool path and remove, add or change of contour (inside/outside). It does not mess up every time but when it does I just have to delete the entire selection and start over. It seems to lock up and stop responding to mouse clicks and will change to a different color for the contour. I know it is trying to tell me something. I just don’t know what.

Edit: I got to watch this about 7:30 pm. Thank you @TinWhisperer so much. It was cutting and not cutting one side or the other of a rectangle that gave me most fits. Pressing on the gear was the element I was missing. It used to access this feature by a right click on the line you did not want before the most recent update. Okay…I will try to keep quiet for a bit and give others a chance.

1 Like

Thank you! Will you be putting this on You tube?

So I take it this was on Twitch and is now gone? I am trying to bookmmark the videos you do on specific topics.

the video is but the screen shots walk through it nicely

For me videos are the best. I see you can save your own Twitch videos but I cant save one of yours.
How To Save and Export Twitch Streams | DataProt.
Ok I found a way to save the Twitch Videos so I am set moving forward.
Thanks

1 Like

Another thing you could do is if you let me know what video and the timestamp you want saved and I can do a video" highlight"and that video will be available on twitch forever.

Cuz a lot of the time the whole video isn’t relevant so if you knew that you needed from 10 minutes to 17 minutes on a video for example let me know and I’ll make a highlight

1 Like