Slowing down rapids speed to help with duty cycle

If you’re thinking about slowing down your rapid speed to help with duty cycle, Beware that what ever you set your rapid speed to will limit your normal cut speed to the rapid speed you selected.

So if you have a cut speed of 40 IPM and have your rapids set to 20 IPM your cut speed will be 20 ipm.

@Knick That’s a good catch.

But perhaps the reason the rapid speed overrides the normal cut is because it has more overall length or total time in the program?

I’ve seen the g code perform oddly in the past when there’s more feed optimization then normal cutting. maybe it’s the same gremlin here?

What cutter are you using and have you hit the duty cycle before?

Why not just add a pause after cut?

2 Likes

Definitely a good alternative , @Knick here is how to add a pause “dwell” in Fusion 360

5 Likes

RW 45 and no have not hit duty cycle yet. I have some 3’x13’ x1/4” panels I will be cutting like maybe 12 of these large slots in so I will need to do something. I did the rapids thing because it was simple. I will have to look into doing a pause here and there

As always thank you sir!

1 Like

I noted a similar issue when I tried to speed up the lead in on my Sheetcam files. I made a path rule to speed up the lead in to 120% of the program speed, just to see if it improved the marks at the beginning/end of the cut loop.

What happened was the post processor notes the fastest speed in the program speed line at the end of the code. In this case my program speed was 100 IPM and the lead in speed was 120 IPM, so the program speed line was (PS 120). Firecontrol uses this line to determine the program speed for purposes of shutting off the THC when the speed falls below 85% of the program speed.

My program still ran at 100IPM on everything but the lead-ins, but the THC never activated because it was always at less than 85% of the program speed noted on that last line.

1 Like

I guess you could still slow rapids down from 400 you just don’t want to set them slower then your cut speed. Which still might work on a lot of stuff

1 Like