Cut Quality Help

So I just watched the plasma while it is cutting, psi on the gauge is dropping down to 55-60 psi. At idle when not cutting it jumps right back to 75psi.

Not sure if that’s normal or maybe my issue

Do you have a long run to compressor? Could be just drop in line pressure. Crank up the air pressure.
Mine drops 5psi but my compressor is 2 ft from my cutter.

1 Like

Ok just installed a gauge at rear of plasma. Got a solid supply of 100+ psi, when plasma kicks in it goes down by maybe 1 psi but the gauge on the plasma is still showing a 20psi drop to ~55 psi.

Should I crank the RazorWeld up so it’s cutting at 70 psi rather than idling there?

ya. You need to get pressure up.

also make sure your swirl ring is in correctly. As far as direction of small holes in it.

1 Like

Which way is correct way for the ring? Also gonna tear into this thing and get that pressure up then report back

see link above

Ok yes my swirl ring was like the picture, clockwise

You should maybe drop 5 to 7 psi you have something wrong. Check the filter in the plasma cutter it most likely is bad.

Everything looks ok, haven’t used this much so it’s still pretty brand new, I set it for an idle pressure of 90, see if it drops to 70 when cutting, I def find a 20psi drop weird

Edit Update: think the weird lines was a poor ground possibly

Ok I set idle pressure to 90psi, when running it drops to 76psi.

I did the test coupon below at 126IPM, so that’s definitely improved my cutting ability

Not sure what happened on those straight lines. Far left is first, then 4th line was cut 2nd, 2nd and 3rd were cut 3 and 4, then 5 as 5 and then 6 as 6. Confusing I know. Something weird may have happened gonna try another run

I’m thinking the pressure regulator is bad in this razorweld. I’m noticing my air pressure now randomly dropping to 20psi while cutting. I’m going to try to readjust idle pressure again and see what happens. Bit frustrating

Also what should my Live Voltage be when the torch is just hanging in the air? i feel like mine used to be 0 but now that ive been messing with stuff its reading 22.6V

Gonna take a break for the night, cutting worse now, think I un-squared the torch somehow got a bad 1-direction bevel. I’ll mess with it tomorrow I guess

Here’s a video of my current issue, the gauge I installed at the rear of the plasma stays steady, the gauge on the plasma will do this at random when firing the torch.

I thought maybe it could be my PTM60 torch, so I installed the factory hand torch, does same exact thing.

Not sure what to do or who to contact, I’m sort of doubting the whole plasma unit at this point.

The more I pay attention to it/think about it the more I think this may have been the issue the whole time I just never looked there, there were a few times where things just wouldn’t cut out of nowhere (got a half cut gnome in my sheet to remind me)

Now that I’m only cutting when the gauge shows 70psi while cutting it making dross improvements:

Give me a call and I will try and help you out with this.

George
302-690-6995

Hey George, I’m about to go out for today then won’t be back in the shop until next weekend. Can I give you a call then?

Here’s my last cuts for today, that one line on the 88IPM coupon is where it was directly over a slat, so ignore that.

I also bumped the amperage to 35A altho I’m on the 30A nozzle, wanted to see how it would do, as well as increasing cut height to .06

That 95 is looking pretty sweet

2 Likes

Yea I was thinking it looks best, would you say that’s pretty normal amount of dross for a good cut?

Have you tried faster cuts above 95? I would if you have not to see if can get better .