Coolant Evaporating

Not taking anything away from what you did Andy, but you never established a PRO/CON approach (COST/BENEFIT) of a different water bed with your approach. No one bought one of these tables because of it having the best water bed.

I agree with you Knick.

This is sort of like back in the 80’s you actually would hear people say “Yea, I bought ‘this’ car over ‘that’ one because it had more cup holders.”

In my mind I was like: “YOU DID WHAT???!!!”

1 Like

If you ever had 4 kids in the back you’d know that was as important as accept, gas mileage and safety features.

I once bought a minivan because it had a factory installed Lego table on the back of one of the middle row seats. Fold the middle seatback forward and presto it was Lego time :blush:

2 Likes

Plumbed and leak free!

“Fountain” looks like a fat butt jiggling back n forth

4 Likes

Great job. Your shop floor is very nice. Mine looks like a old machine shop.

2 Likes

Thank ya! Did the epoxy job myself. Heck of a lot of work!

5 Likes

Yeahhhh. I got greedy. Amazon water pump.

36gpm on the low end.

3 Likes

I like it. Very reasonably priced. Never thought about a hot water pump. Great idea.

Between evap and splash I go through 7-10 gallons a day when I am running the 100a plasma. I need to either get a second tank or a larger one.

I still need to plumb in my pump. Like you, going to run the water back up the drains. Split between 2 bar drains, is should keep the geyser effect down…mostly.

I have a problem with making a plan, then life turns into “Hurry up and get it running, need to use it.”

Liking that poly drum idea. I have 2 or three of those 35 gallon ones cross my path every year. Might have to snag the next one if they don’t loose the lids again.

2 Likes

Cost me $5 for this one. I even CNC’d out the bung removal tool for it with the plasma.

Oh, @Sticks , get barrels with integrated lids, just the bung caps

2 Likes

@langmuir-aksel the water table should be optional. Many folks have resources and are able to either manufacturer their own 1 piece table with a large drain or have a local shop that can build one. Make the drawing available so people can send that to a local shop. Saves Langmuir the hassel of shipping the table and the customer will have what they want. A single piece table with a large drain. Its really nice being able to quickly drain the table, clean and fill.

I have spend a considerable amount of time, money and resource to get where Im at. All could have been avoided if I had known up front.

It makes absolute sense to do a 2 piece table for shipping.

Knowledge and Options are good.

@Scoopburt I don’t have a say in such decisions, but can pass your feedback along to our team!

3 Likes

Sounds good. Its just a thought. I tagged your name because when I did @langmuir your name was the only one that popped up with a title also.

At anyrate. Im very happy with my machine and only currently using a fraction of its potential. I can say the drain and leaking 2 piece table are the only short falls I have run across.

And the fact the table only came with 1 electrode and 2 tips. I missed the xmas season because I had to wait the tips and electrodes where sold out on langmuir and I was unable to find definitive guidance from Langmuir about what parts to use.

I can say draining, filtering and refilling is so much cleaner and better air quality than 3 months of cutting in the same water.

Langmuir could promote some of these systems people have built, complete with parts lists and resources. I figured it out but it took me a long time since the post are all over place and many are not tutorials just “Look what I have done”. ( I still need to add me pump before my system is 100% operational) I would like to post mine but frankly I suck at organizing the info in a satisfactory way that Im comfortable with.

Thanks for the response. Its great you guys are active in the forums

@Scoopburt
I like your idea of optional water table in 2 parts or a drawing with basic specs to have a single pan locaaly made…neat idea…

I was able to “fuse” weld the 2 pans together at the start and install simple bar/kitchen drains…and I have had zero leaks…I also used what is called PIPE DOPE on all my screws and drains…zero leaks after 4 years…I used the actual table with the plasma to cut my drain holes

Your comment that the table only came with 1 electrode and 2 tips is really not the resoponsability of Langmuir…they just offer the purchase of the plasma through them for a discounted price…they do not determine what is included in the plasma box.

Knowing the products you buy and what is included is really your responsability. When I bought my systems I researched what came in the box and what I might need for “consumables”…so not being prepared for getting up and running with proper supplies is the users…as for guidance…that is what the Manual in the plasma box is for.
you can also buy plasma consumables all over the web and mostlikely locally to yourself at welding supply shops.

I do not think Langmuir will ever be in a position to promote wtaer systems people have built…you as the user is responsible for any after sales modifications …it takes on to much responsabilty for Langmuir…Langmuir does provide a great forum for asking…looking…searching for things you want to do or help with.

I am not lambasting or trying to insult anything you have said…just providing my experiance in having a langmuir product, being in industry for many years and being on this forum and Facebook and seeing and reading what people have done.

5 Likes

There are always the pros/cons with anything that is provided by a company.

This “economy” water bed has served hundreds if not thousands of people with very little problem. If the water bed was not included, there would be people ordering the table without the water bed and then complain that they did not know it was necessary and would complain of the added shipping cost when they ordered the water bed later. Or want reimbursement for some damage caused by using without a water bed.

When a manufacture sets up too many variables with options, it slows the process of filling orders and leads to mistakes. These added steps increase cost.

AND… nearly everyone modifies the table in one way or another (straight edge, wheels, laser lines, carts…).

That seems human nature in today’s world. People buy perfectly good vehicles and then modify the grill, tail lights, tires, wheels and more. A brand new ‘anything’ usually ‘needs’ something to satisfy the buyer.

Langmuir set out to bring this complex tool to the broader market. That means having a reasonable priced product with reasonable expectations of good results. They never said this system is the “ultimate” in CNC plasma cutting. I understood that from what I read before ordering.

7 Likes

Here is what I wound up with. I have a very small shop. (Well it’s not tiny, but when you have a lot of woodworking stuff along with welders and a table…) I just drain into a bucket when I’m done and have a fountain pump to put it back in the table. I seal the bucket to reduce evaporation. Both the table and the bucket roll out of the way when I’m doing something else.

you might want to get a bit of Sterling cool to add to the water to help prevent rusting of the table and the metal you cut…

1 Like

I was under the impression that Sterling Cool was used undiluted. That pretty much puts it out of my budget.

Nope, my Crossfire pro tank is 22 gallons and I mix about 1 gallon to every 20. It works really well!

1 Like

That’s good news for me. I tried Borax, but didn’t see that it helped much. Now if they sold it in gallons it would be even better.

I concur using a storage tank and drain. To fill a couple of PSI will move the fluid from the tank to fill the water pan in a couple of minutes. I run my jobs, then open the pressure valve to let the air pressure out and gravity empties into the tank.

The only evaporation I get is with whatever doesn’t drain out so I need to add a gallon every couple of months. Been using the same fluid for over four years.

3 Likes