Coolant Evaporating

I live in New Hampshire and run a woodstove all winter. The table has gone completely dry twice this winter (20+ gallons in 4 months of consistant woodstove usage). Does anyone else have similar issues? And if so, are there any solutions? Coolant is too expensive to be wasting THAT much.

I drain the table down into a tank with a lid, and pump it back into the table when I need to cut. Draining takes a few minutes, but I don’t pay attention to it, I just open a couple ball valves, filling takes about 45 seconds with the pump I’m using. Evaporation losses are extremely minimal as long as I remember to drain the table after I’m done cutting for the day.

7 Likes

I think this is totally my only option. I appreciate the feedback!

Some guys use sealable plastic tanks to drain into and then pressurize with air to transfer the fluid back to the table. Probably a more reliable solution long term since there aren’t any moving parts besides the ball valves, but the trash/sump pump I’m using has been fine so far, was relatively inexpensive, and I don’t have to worry about being able to pressurize my tank or the possible problems that can come with a setup like that. I pump the fluid back up through the same lines that drain the table, no special extra lines or anything.

4 Likes

You could consider something like Borax if you are going thru it that quickly. One reason to use the expensive products like Sterling Cool is that it is non foaming, safe for the environment, kills bacteria and prevents rust.

All of that is true. But if your fluid needs to be replaced often, you are not having that much of a biological breeding ground. Borax is cheap, noon foaming, and prevents rust. But I would have to say, the minute you rinse it off, you start seeing rusty spots. So it is not perfect. But, those rusty spots wipe off with paper towel.

4 Likes

Instead of using a treatment its only 15 gallon or so just use plain water. Drain it at the end of your day.
Some days when I really run my table I have to add 3 or four gallons every hour due to evaporation and splashing.

3 Likes

I heat my shop 24/7 through the winter with wood as well, drain my water table into tank at end of day of cutting. haven’t had to top off water through winter months. Will top off around July 15 gallons usually.

12 Likes

I knew that I liked you

11 Likes

I’d be cautious about bringing politics into a manufacturing forum. Things are liable to get out of hand quickly.

1 Like

Who is talking politics? All I see is a couple pictures… one features a crossfire pro equipped with a tank drain, an XR likewise equipped and welding table in a nice tidy shop. :wink: :rofl:

10 Likes

I’m not one to get my panties in a wad, just warning that I’ve seen this kind of thing devolve before. You do you.

1 Like

here is my water treatment / holding tank solution…hve not changed my water in 3 years…I just add a few gallons every few months…

7 Likes

Hey @rat196426
I heat my garage also…not wood…heated slab…hmmmmm warm feet…

but I use this to save heating costs and help ventilate the shop…

5 Likes

I was thinking same thing. Lol. Love your shop setup

2 Likes

I do the same. I go long periods between cuts so I drain it into a plastic container. It is a 16 gallon container meant to go on an atv. There is a pump inside. Takes just over a minute to fill. I have a switch on the side of the table to turn the pump on and off. Once filled or when I am not using the table both valves are closed.

5 Likes

Been looking for a tank for my Pro table that won’t break the bank. I think it holds something near 25 gallons, right?

Anyone got any advice on where to find one that hasn’t been for septic that won’t break the bank?

Here is what I have under my pro, old basketball hoop base free if you drive around on garbage day in a neighborhood… tank Holds 24 gallons, pro water table holds 16-17 gallons.

5 Likes

Home Depot is where I picked my tank up, it’s just a huge heavy duty Husky tote with a lid. If you’re not using air pressure to force the liquid back up into the table you have tons of options out there in all kinds of sizes for very reasonable prices.

1 Like

Haha this made my day. Love the ingenuity and making-do with what’s available.

3 Likes

Love it… thats how Im gonna finish mine up. I have been searching through these pages for month looking gor the system I want to use.

How long does the filter last?

What do you do if the PH gets low?

I bought sterling cool but have not added it. I wanted to get my tank system up and running first.

Thanks. Great system