Cutting table fluid.antifreeze?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.intelitek.com/resources/pdf/PlasmaGreenMSDS.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiP8OjJlbr1AhX5IDQIHVzEDtUQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3DlPWjZv3SZpyrLCLorC0B

For some reason the MSDS won’t load on any of the links I find to the PDFs.

I’m having a hard time finding an MSDS for the KCI plasma green 9010.

I assumed it was the same thing as green cut.

And by its MSDS it is propylene glycol.

Ok Guys Any thoughts on using Sterling Cool ? Love to hear it ??? Dont have to baby sit it !! Like the others with PH levels and all that stuff… You dont use anything for your engine but motor oil. So why not use Plasma fluid for your Plasma ??? I dont get it sometime when people use other things for plasma fluid … When you spend all that money on the Plasma and table and then you skimp on the fluid which is the cheapest thing for the cnc plasma table… Oh my god Im sounding like one of those forum guys !!! Ha Ha !!!

I’m a convert from the Borax recipe for homemade fluids since giving Sterling Cool a try… The stuff works great and makes the clean-up so much more enjoyable… No affiliation here just a good product!!

2 Likes

I started with greencut…then switched to sterling cool when I ran out of green…I am very happy with it…
I do not even wipe down pieces and nothing rusts…
I drain my table and run it through a drinking water filter as it goes into the storage tank…comes back up clear and blue each time…the green did not do that as well.
no foaming…

Thanks for the mention! I’m the chemist here at KCI Chemical, and our Plasma Green 9010 does not contain Propylene Glycol. The reason is that PG can actually be food for micro organisms like bacteria, mold, & fungus, and promote biological growth. We use higher tech components that are less likely to promote bio growth. I also believe our product is cheaper or more affordable than most additives.

3 Likes

Hello @KCIMark welcome to The forum.

We just recently switched over to plasma green 9010.

We had been using green cut up until then.

We were trying to look for an MSDS for plasma green 9010, I was able to find a MSDS for green cut but the link I found for plasma green 9010 didn’t work a little while ago and it still doesn’t work today.

This is the one link I found for it
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.intelitek.com/resources/pdf/PlasmaGreenMSDS.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiP8OjJlbr1AhX5IDQIHVzEDtUQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3DlPWjZv3SZpyrLCLorC0B

If you could provide us an MSDS for your product we wouldn’t have to speculate about its contents.

We like your product so far , definitely has a lot of dye in it.

2 Likes

Found a copy of the plasmagreen 9010 MSDS.

Plasmagreen 9010 msds

Looks like they use Triethanolamine which is widely used in cosmetics.

It’s been pretty cold the last few days.
-18 Celsius (-.4 f) overnight.

My shop thermostat registers zero Celsius because residential stats don’t show minus numbers.

I checked the fluid temperature this morning and it was 25° f (-4f)

There’s a pretty good crust ice on the KCI plasma green 9010 .

I haven’t seen any claims of antifreeze temperature this product.

Maybe @KCIMark could clarify what the freeze temperature of their product mix that 20 to 1 would be.

Our Plasma Green 9010 does not contain any anti-freeze products, and will begin to freeze at 32 F. Plasma Green 9010 is formulated to not leave a film or deposit on cut parts or your table, and any added material (like an anti-freeze component) would risk leaving a deposit due to the increased solids in the product. However, we do have a tank side additive called Plasma Add AF, which is specifically intended to prevent freezing of your plasma table solution. We feel it’s a better approach, because you can add as little or as much as needed, will protect your solution to below 0 F, and most people only need it for a short period of time each year. Hope that helps!

3 Likes

As an added note, some people have used a car battery warmer for their tables with some success. Cost can be as low as $40 or so.

1 Like

Never gets below 70F in my shop Tin, can’t beat wood heat. I start a fire about mid-November it burns 24-7 till end of march.

3 Likes

Nice, I had wood, switched to a high -eff natural gas furnace mostly to free up floor space. I just got use to working in the cold over the years.

How many cord a year do you burn?

3-4 cord, I grew up on wood heat living in northern Idaho and Montana. If doors are left open no money loss or yelling at kids to close door hahaha.

1 Like

So I talked to Shaun at CFD (Cutting Fluids Direct) they make the Sterling cool product.
Outlook-uudisloj

They were kind enough to email me over SDS/MSDS.

SterlingCool PlasmaCut SDS.pdf (177.3 KB)

And here’s the link to their sales/spec sheet

1645744162308_SterlingCool-PlasmaCut TDS.pdf (2.2 MB)

So on point with this topic Sterlingcool has no antifreeze agent in it.

They suggested using a livestock heater.

From the MSDS/SDS sheet here’s some of the chemical composition.

Ingredient name. %
Triethanolamine 10 - 15
Ethanolamine 1 - 5
n-Butylethanolamine 1 - 5
1,3,5-Triazine-1,3,5(2H,4H,6H)-triethanol 1 - 5
3,5,5-Trimethylhexanoic acid 3302-10-1. 1 - 5

I’m going to order up a pail and the next time I switch out my fluid I’m going to try it out.

He’s done nothing but state facts here and some pretty interesting ones as well. Nothing in any of his statements can be attributed as “fighting.” If you take the truth as being offensive that’s on you, but if this is in fact and “open and friendly discussion,” let’s allow it to be just that. If you bother to read the .pdf he posted about 9010 Green it states very clearly that they use propylene glycol in their products. Also, you posted a .pdf regarding a totally different kind of RV anti-freeze. He specifically stated “Supertech” from Walmart. Which is precisely what we’ve been using for almost 5 years now in our table and no one is dead or dying or sick yet. I’m 50 and have a clean bill of health. My son, who also operates the table with me is also doing just fine. No one is dying or sick. So I guess my point is that, great if some of you want to spend 300.00 everytime you change your table water, sobeit. But some of us would rather spend the extra 290.00 elsewhere and achieve the same goals/effect.

If you want the actual SDS for supertech here it is.

It’s a 30/70 mix instead of a 60/40 so a little bit weaker mix than the SDS that was linked above.

But it does added the compound Dipotassium phosphate likely for some pH balancing? I don’t know, chemistry something I need to study more in the future.

If you use the minus -50 version it seems to have a lot more chemical components to it.

Myself I’m currently using KCI plasma green 9010 seems to be doing the job fine , not very green anymore.

1 Like

I’m currently using the -50F version. a

Ingredients are:

Water (7732-15-5) Ethyl Alcohol (64-17-5) Propylene Glycol (57-56-6) Dye (2611-82-7) Dipotassium Phosphate (7758-11-4)

My table, I calculated to hold 15.6 gallons of water at it’s current height in my water table. I use 2 gallons of this stuff but never paid attention to the -50 version. Still, calculating the amount at roughly 13% by weight, mixed in with 16 gallons of water almost makes it negligent? What are your thoughts?

We use to use Sodium Nitrite (powder) until I read an article on it. It worked extremely well. In fact, we lost an adjustable wrench a few years back and found it once we cleaned out the table. The wrench was in better shape than it was before going in.

1 Like

You should see if you can find and post their current SDS sheet.

I found the one up above that was for -50° supertech, maybe it’s an older version. It’s from April 18th 2012.

@TinWhisperer I know I am a year late, but…I just started using sterling cool. Was trying to find out what is in it when I ran across your post here. It is interesting that it does not contain any antifreeze components. Today was the first day I used it and I swear my shop smells like I have had an antifreeze leak dripping on a hot manifold all day!! The smell is still in my sinuses. I hope I get used to it. I used 1.2 gallons to my crossfire pro table so I don’t think I made mixed it too strong but it def smells different from the borax I have been using for the first year of the tables use.