Cutting table fluid.antifreeze?

I run about a half gallon to my water system which holds about 12 gallons total with no corrosion or rust.

1 Like

I use it and have never noticed a smell, but I do have a exhaust fan. Mix is 1 gallon to 20 gallons of water.

Which sterling cool did you buy?? They make several versions for different applications

, did end up with the wrong part number??? Double check.

STERLINGCOOL-PLASMACUT is the correct product but they make 20 types of other cutting fluids that come in the same black pails.

2 Likes

@TinWhisperer
IMG_2360
IMG_2361
This one is in a blue pail but the label identifies it as plasma cut. Its a bluish color.
also after cutting i have brown foam.

Mine came in a black pail, blue fluid and brown foam after cutting.

I called and spoke to the company. They are checking my lot number but everything seems to check out that i have the correct product. sure smells like steaming glycol or antifreeze to me when Im cutting.

To be honest that is why I say any chemical even made for plasma can’t be good for you. I have the pro ptable fill with water drain and discard. The only thing you are protecting is the slates they are a consumable anyway. I do hope everyone is wearing a respirator while cutting. Believe me I have seen many people suffer from black lung. It isn’t a way to go metal dust and chemical vapor isn’t any better. I also understand it isn’t that easy with the xr table but the pro is well under 20 gallons of water.

2 Likes

Hi Ken!
We use your fluid and would like to know if this is dangerous if our dogs ingested it.
They haven’t done so, but I’d like to know if we need to keep them away from any spillage in the shop?

Thanks!

welcom e to the forum @AngryPirate
I do not think you will get an answer from @KCIMark …doubt he has been here in a long time…in fact a year since his last visit and he ony has 3 posts to his name…

I would look up your SDS information on the product…

As for the dogs licking up the water…I would not allow it… not healthy for them…unless you want to drink it…

2 Likes

The MSDS is very unspecific. It basically says humans won’t die from swallowing it. Which is some comfort, but there is planty of things humans can safely ingest that dogs cannot.

As for dogs licking or drinking it, well, spillage happens and we’d obviously not allow them to ingest anything like this if we can help it, but sh*t happens.

Thanks for the response and letting me know I won’t likely hear from @KCIMark .

I would keep the dog out of the plasma area.
Water/fluid is constantly splashing up over the side of the machine. Even if you don’t use any water conditioner, the heavy metals left behind are definitely not dog or cat, monkey, or whatever pets roam the shop.
Just my two cents… Pet lover… Better than people…
Bigdaddy

7 Likes

I personally just use water. It gets pretty cold here outside Chicago. When the water freezes I just run the machine anyway. The heat of the plasma plus turning on the heat in my usually unheated shop melts things pretty well. I don’t get as much cooling to the steel at first but that solves itself pretty quickly.

2 Likes

@DougStrong

I live in S Indiana. We get some extended cold spells here too. I was wondering if you use any kind of drain and pump to refill your water tray. If so, what pump?

My concern with letting mine freeze is I set up a holding tank with pump under the table and I’m afraid the pump diaphragm will be destroyed if I let my water freeze. Those type pumps never seem to drain completely. I know I could remove the pump in the Winter and store it, but I’d like to keep the system functional if possible.

I used a farm spray tank from Rural King. Not the most robust setup.

1 Like

I have a tank and everything set up on mine too and i run the coolant additive as well as antifreeze. Make sure it gets mixed well and run ventilation when your cutting with the antifreeze in it because the fumes aren’t to good for you. Besides that I’ve had no issues

1 Like

Do yourself and the neighborhood a favor, GET RID OF THE ANTIFREZZE SOLUTION. You are fuc#$%# with your life, poison…

2 Likes

Put a water heater in tank or a milk house heater under table to keep warm, simple and safe solution.

3 Likes

Its easy to say add all these heaters but definitely not practical. My setup is well vented when im cutting and the risk i take is nothing in comparison to people using no ventilation and no water pan. I don’t use my table everyday and definitely not coast effective to run heater in shop all winter so a antifreeze is a natural choice. Like anything else you have to implement safty procedures when adding in more risk.

Heaters are cheap to run and safer than chemicals, if you can’t afford additional 5-10$ a month electrical bill then you need to find a different hobby. A milk house heater has thermostat and fan built into it. I put a milk house heater under my XR table for two weeks to keep 75-gallon water tank from freezing while I was on vacation because had no one to add wood to my shop woodstove that I burn 24/7 through winter months. I had welding blanket draped over sides where heater was, and scrap drywall leaned against sides on rest of it. Heater set at 45 would come on every 3-4 hours for two to five minutes and shutoff.

1 Like

Lol like i said, easy to tell others to just add heat especially when you have no clue of all the variables in play. We are all big boys on here ( maybe a few girls) some more experienced than others but when people like yourself try an splame… stuff to the kids its very off-putting.

So heres my pecker measurements. I’ve worked as a micanical contractor who is a machinists, fabricator, pipeline and steam line welder including welding live gas lines, 18 years as firefighter/EMT, passed my firefighter #1 #2 and instructor #1, plus the daddy of passing all safty training an being on safty and rescue team. Thers more but im tired of typing…

That all said just so i can say. There’s more than one type of antifreeze. Ive put in enough geothermal systems to know what im handling. If a little antifreeze is as dangerous as you make it to be then we’d be seeing anyone with a cracked heater core dead on the news. They do make antifreeze that is even safe for animals incase they drink some.

Come down off the hill chief, the wars over…we all live to fight another day…

Just to be a little clearer so im not misunderstood. If anyone trys antifreeze don’t just use cheap antifreeze from the store. Use (propylene glycol antifreeze) propylene glycol is the same chemical in vapes. Don’t go intentionally sniffing it but it is a low coast insurance against loosing your overflow tank if you run one.

Yup you are a clueless fuc$#, Why even have water in it, you said you hardly use it?