Cletus' Crossfire Build n Mods

The enclosure turned out quite well I think. Turns on the exhaust fan when the stack-light goes green. Built it as an interface that goes in series with the stack-light 4-pin connector. Uses a solid-state relay to switch the fan AC (it’s the one I had on-hand).

I got one of these to monitor the voltage in my shop but don’t know how to connect it to 220v?

There are a few ways to connect it, depending on your application and what you want to monitor.

In 220v wiring there’s two live and one neutral (L1,L2 and Neutral respectively).

If you want to really monitor the whole shop you would need three of those units:
a) one powered across the two live and the ring around any live line for 220V monitoring
b) another, powered across one live (L1) and neutral and the ring around L1 for 110V L1 monitoring
c) and the third, powered across the other live (L2) and neutral and the ring around L2 for 110V L2 monitoring

That said, with a single unit you can really only monitor the 220v (as per a above) or either one of the 110v legs (as per b or c above). Unless you wanna get into some fancy switching beyond the scope of this conversation.
Hope this helps.

EDIT
In our context, I use mine as per “a” so I’m monitoring only my welding/plasma outlet.
But, I have one configured as per “b” on a devoted workbench outlet, so I can monitor any load plugged into that outlet on the service bench.

1 Like

What write up is that?

For monitoring 220v and 120v in the shop with the digital panel meter above

Great work!! Nice to see everyone getting use out of my write up and making these machines 100x more powerful with Z and THC. Mine is still going strong and cutting flawlessly.

Now you need to order a longer ribbon cable, take the boards out of the THC and move them inside your enclosure, cut the face plate for the controls and mount it to the outside of your enclosure, and mount the rheostat to your enclosure. Nice and tidy and you can get rid of that big black box.

@Dicky Your write up was invaluable to the success of my project. Much thanks to you, and all the other folks on this forum who assisted me and made this possible. Lots of talented and scientific minds on this forum… Great people! :beers::nerd_face:

1 Like

you know i have to say it again if I have no said it…
every time I see a new post in this thread…I am excited to see what has been done…scared to see what devilish creation is created in that shop…and truly terrified of the way this man’s mind works…

1 Like

As you should be! :grimacing:

Hahahaha! :rofl:
These days I’m busy consulting, helping design a small Plastic Surgery Hospital. Just finished tricking out a gun-safe for a buddy of mine, Plasma cut and folded the shelving from 16g steel and 3D printed the pistol racks and shotgun clasp along with a couple bandsaw cut lexan parts. Added a little automation to keep things inside at a nice ~50% humidity

Cut and slot 16g steel sheet:

Cleanup, Fold and Paint:

Completed project with 3D printed and Lexan parts:

4 Likes

A couple Screen 1 tweaks to Mach3 today

Last nite’s project, playing with Machscreen by Klaus, sipping a Merlot and created an additional screen which I suitably labeled “Simple BIG” (this all started because I simply wanted a large outstanding “ZERO ALL” button on screen 1) :rofl:
It’s what the name says, a minimalist operating screen with just the every-day basics and a HUGE Toolpath Display area. The background for the axis jog buttons turns red when the torch fires. Not quite done, just a couple items to clean-up, but you get the picture, this consumes time!:crazy_face:

1 Like

As you may have noticed, there’s really no end to this project. I modified my water-table reservoir so just one control floods and drains the table. One hour’s worth of plumbing and wiring mods and this thing is sweet! …Hell, if I wanted to, I could even control this thing from the Mach3 screen, but I see no need to.
This 9-24V, three-wire Motorized Valve switches itself off at both ends of travel (open/closed) hence draws zero current in those positions.

1 Like

Cool…but I still can not get the movie old scene of Dr.Franenstein yelling…“alive…ahahaha…it’s alive!!!”…and in the background lightning flashes…or in your case plasma arc flashes…

I truly do admire your work and creativity…and thanks for sharing

Yeah, I use that valve to cut off my air supply when it’s not needed. Saves wear and tear on the compressor. Tied in with my Home Control network so it shuts off automatically after 6:30 PM and stays off until I flip the control to give me some air! Handy that it’s fail safe on power failures…

dang…never thought of that…great idea…I tend to leave my compressor on all the time…drives the wife nuts when it goes off in the middle of the night…this way I can tie it into my light switch…no shop lights…compressor turns off

1 Like

First time using it and I’m VERY impressed! Opens up a lot of possibilities!

My compressor and some other critical stuff (workbench and soldering stuff, etc) is on a Geofence routine that shuts down if I leave the one mile radius (if I have my phone with me, that is)
Really happy tearing away from SmartThings and migrating to Hubitat!
BTW Tom
I ordered the NAS with 4TB, got frustrated trying to do it with Raspberry Pi.:crazy_face: