Z Axis Height Does Not Match Programmed Height - SOLVED DIP Switch Error

Glad you figured it out!!

Good learning experience for all of us… thanks for sharing.

I replaced my couplers with the ones bigdaddy suggested and haven’t had any problems.

2 Likes

I feel like a moron for even posting, because I had coupler issues before and solved it right away without ever posting here.

Did so by seeing the coupler move without axis movement; tightened it down and marked my lead screw to match the coupler screws. If they ever became misaligned, that means it slipped again.

But Z axis; the coupler was still tight as I had to pull on it to get it off the shaft.

So, the right amount of tight to not detect slippage right away but loose enough to slip with continuous force applied.

So, THC is off and I’m going to see if McMaster or Grainger or someone has that coupler that was linked. Nothing wrong with the linked item just need it sooner than 2 weeks.

Mc Master Carr has them. The reason I gave you the amazon post is to keep the I can get them cheaper mail down. I love McMaster Carr. I can order stuff a 6pm at night and have it first thing in the morning.
Shaft Couplers, Steel, for 1/4" x 1/4" Diameter Round Shaft

2 Likes

Even if it’s a budget table, this is too important of a part to skip out on.

Appreciate that McMaster Carr link; ordering now.

wait a minute…now I made the connection…Freddy…Kwikfab…same person…just like me and Glen Clayton…lol…

1 Like

Thought you made that connection some weeks back when I did my port mod :rofl:

…you obviously do not know my memory…lol…
I am old and I forget stuff…
by the way did we not connect on Facebook…???

lol…

NOT SOLVED.

I’ll update the thread title and report my findings here shortly.

While I waited for my new coupler, I cleaned my table and tidied a few things up.

Then it arrived!

All put together again -

I really don’t understand all the fuss behind this torch and the many no-fire issues I read about in the FB group. It fired perfectly on the first try, and every run after that.

I cut both 1/4" and 10 gauge; here’s today’s 1/4" on the UPM-105 next to the 1/4" (exact file/post process) when I ran it with a slipping coupler and PTM-60 -

The issue?

The dry run still results in a low cut height of .02".

The file that @Phillipw provided a link for and states if this doesn’t set the correct height, will help answer other things.

I still decided to cut and test and wouldn’t you know it, here’s what happened.

The new coupler solved the issue of slipping, completely. The motor makes a weird noise if I forced it up past the stop, and if it goes down passed the work piece, will actually lift the gantry tube. So yes, that fucker is on tight.

What this did provide is an average voltage of 93.7v when cutting either the 10 gauge or 1/4", as I placed the work clamp in different spots to experiment.

Also, I changed the post process programmed height from .06" to .10" with no actual physical changes.

The resulting cut height each time was .025" which I assume is based on the higher voltage now.

I decided to then turn off Smart Voltage, and entered a value of 110v; I ran the program again and Live voltage still displayed 93.7v.

What I do notice is a voltage of 123v during the initial pierce so it’s a brief second before it starts cutting and runs at the 93.7v. Same result when I entered 115v manually.

Last but not least, I removed the old VIM (with bad divided voltage circuit) and used the new VIM (was still wrapped in plastic) and same exact results.

And what’s funny too is I’m quick to admit that I’m an idiot, had it been the coupler causing me headache.

Now I see I wasn’t just imagining things as the coupler fixed nothing.

not only does that happen to me…some of my “friends” here often beat me to telling me!!!..lol

2 Likes

Does Langmuir support/tech ever look at these threads?

Maybe one of them can chime in; I’d hate to email all of this or start troubleshooting from the start on the most basic things I’ve already checked.

Maybe something went bad in my THC/IHS when my VIM first blew out a resistor.

@langmuir-reilly
hello Reilly…are you out there?..

can you take a look here and offer some advice please…

1 Like

If Langmuir does chime in, and they want the short version I’ll supply it -

Cut height cannot be changed and is stuck at .02"

Whether program changes are made from .06" up to .10", no physical changes occur.

Post processing screenshots noted above, as well as cut results showing a cut height of .02".

Rectified a small issue with a slipping coupler, still have the same occurring result of too low a cut height that is not adjustable. Before the slipping coupler, I had a constant voltage of 87.8v.

Smart voltage now reads 93.7v, and with smart voltage disabled, still reading a live voltage of 93.7v even if I manually entered 110-115v.

The only things that have changed from BEFORE the issue and AFTER my issue are -

1. A new voltage input module was mailed to me since I blew out a resistor (8) in the divided circuit

2. I switched to raw voltage since then

3. I added a quick detach/port for my raw voltage

However, a file that has no activation (no fire) should tell us it isn’t exactly a wiring issue right?

1 Like

For what it is worth this is my opinion and how I would start to address it .

First I hate this didn’t fix your problem.

If your torch height isn’t changing. The z axis must be sticking these motors don’t have a ton of torque. My thoughts is when you wrote in a voltage and didn’t see it that confirms your z isn’t moving. Is it trying?

It could be vim or other electronics issues . Then I would follow the THC trouble shooting guide. It is pinned on the forum. Go all the way testing torch voltage output all the way to the control box at the THC chip.

Still believe it is mechanical because you are not achieving the correct height to begin with and the THC can’t correct with writing in a voltage . Could even be software but very unlikely.

Which version of fire control are you using… I have stayed away from the latest version.

Hope this helps

3 Likes

What exactly are you suggesting regarding the motor?

It had enough torque to force the gantry tube upwards; the coupler will not slip.

Remembering back to cutting a few days ago, my Z on Firecontrol does light up to move up or down. In fact, that video of cutting hangers out of 1/4"…you can visually see the screws on the coupler turn as the Z axis moves as needed. So yes Z axis functions while cutting, and it maintains a specific voltage for a specific cut height. It just cuts at the wrong cut height.

I will troubleshoot as far as the THC goes, but I will admit I want to dive right into measuring the VIM out, and going to the control box. Anything before that I’ve done so before when I first had the VIM issue. And only after we rule out a few other things first.

I’d like to believe it’s mechanical…but if not at least specific to IHS. That TAP file still puts me at .02" and you even saw the video and pictures of clean and secure contacts.

I have to ask, does updating Firecontrol require manual input?

If so, Firecontrol has never been manually updated by me and no one uses this laptop as it’s just me and my wife.

However, if Firecontrol updates itself, then I can only share with you my version current version. Screenshot taken minutes ago.

About the motor just saying that they are not powerful so they can’t overcome binding and such … with that said if the gantry tube moved with the z axis motor something is loose. Maybe?

Something is lifting .040 then leaving you with .020

Nothing is loose, that’s been checked more times than I can count.

Especially since I checked everything for square again and measured 1/16" deviation from one end of axis to the other and adjusted it.

I should add, this was when my VIM went out so very recent. Whenever something goes down, I check everything again.

If you want or need, I’d be happy to take a file you post process to eliminate the possibility of the issue being my CAD/CAM.

It’s why I posted screenshots of my post process above; I’m open to being told “you did it wrong” if that solves the issue. But I haven’t deviated from what I’ve been doing all this year either so I’m at a loss.