XR reviews, opinions, projects, etc

Yes directly from Ever last, z Carriage is spot on clamping directly to work piece.

just small amount of top dross,

If you’re torch height is too high during the cut, just lower the nominal voltage. Or if you are using smart voltage, then reduce either the backlash compensation or the cut height in CAM.

1 Like

Agreed, but whats the point of smart voltage if i have input my own setting to compensate for the incorrect value the Fire control software is imputing ?

And my pierce height is correct so why inst my Cutting height ?

I mean .115 is not even close to optimal, why isn’t the fire control even coming close?

Even if i remove .020 of spring back im still way off.

I can set cut height in cam to .00 and it make no difference in actual cut height when using smart voltage.

Yeah, you’ve got something different going on. I missed in your post above that you were measuring .115 actual.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can remember to pause and measure tomorrow. I hope I have my feeler gauges at shop. My cuts are good but always sporadic with taper bc of metal warpness and which way the cut is going. Iv had a feeling I may be running a tad high bc of FC. I only use smart voltage. Iv never messed with anything as far as overriding it. I use Hyp xp65 with regular consumables, shielded. I haven’t ran the fine tips on here yet. are you post processing through fusion or sheetcam?

Is the THC hooked correctly?

I watch my voltage as a longer cut is going an its usually around 128-129. I have my machine set at 64 amps when cutting 3/16 and 1/4.

1 Like

FC use to show the actual cut height when THC was running, now it just says THC activated or something to that effect, and doesn’t show actual readout. I don’t see why they did that to be honest.

Do you remember what version that was ?

Old version wasn’t anything they did recently but I remember when they changed it. It use to show you the cut height but now it says under control when THC activates.

Nicely done, documented and explained. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Jim

1 Like

Here’s another spin on size. We needed to cut a new top for our downdraft table so we could incorporate flush mounted magnetic hold-downs. Long story - running a hand-held metal finishing machine and didn’t want to have stuff moving around on us.

We had a 4x10 sheet of 1/8" steel. Just what we needed if a little large.

I’m liking the work envelope and capacity of the XR.

We’ll install 4 of those security door magnets (about 600 lbs pull force if you have enough metal). Modeled a new table top incorporating cutouts for the magnets and fixturing/downdraft holes.

The XR and Hypertherm did an excellent job on a fairly complex project. Holes-o-pleny.

Finished product. Perfect fit. No runs, no drips, no errors. Very happy with cut quality and accuracy across this 19" x 59" surface. Some cleanup and finishing and it will look great. Next, we’ll machine some custom mounting blocks that will allow us to fine tune height on the magnets. Happy with the way this turned out and very happy with the XR.

2 Likes

We finally needed to use a 4x8 (plus…rounded edge) 1/2" steel plate we had in the shop. First time loading something on the XR with the gantry crane. It was quite the game of Tetris but it worked! Gantry has to come straight over the weld table and then makes a 90 degree turn for the plasma. This is good because we put the shop together assuming it would work…but hadn’t tried it yet. Wiin.

Didn’t seem to phase the XR a bit (about 650lbs). Note: we couldn’t have done this with the OEM monitor mount - the pivoting mount just gets out of the way so nicely.

Cut quality is pretty good overall - a few squirrelly lead-ins to address. We also need to shim our torch for alignment just a tad. And that water tray is pretty awful - not looking forward to cleaning day.

5 Likes

Im at 43 production runs so far with the XR. I usually cut 3-4 days a week and fab the rest. This photo is at 40 runs. So about 6 full five gallon buckets. Haven’t completely drained table yet. Will do soon. I end up scrapping this stuff. Last dumpster I filled weighed almost 16,000 lb of all my scraps. I saved those for a long time. Overall the XR is finally doing me well. Early on was rough. Iv been experimenting with nominal voltage lately to try and reduce some bevels, but ultimately with the 65amp and the speeds I run I just think its inevitable bc the torch will bend. Iv set some rules for corners to try and help reduce that and also just slow my speeds down 10% to try and help.

2 Likes

I read your displeasure posts with the XR a while back. Are you happy with the XR table purchase now? I am thinking about purchasing the XR for bigger cut envelope over my PRO table .

2 Likes

Curious, what are you cutting?

Yeah definitely happy so far now. I had to reflash my control board bc they had to rewrite something, thats why I was getting motion control errors. Then I started having random FC freezes, so far the additional chokes have helped. The rails have been running smooth. I would say go for it, for the price its hard to beat. I was contemplating getting a 5x10 from another company but almost temped to get another XR now! If it wasn’t for the forum and companies ethics I would be long gone, but as Iv stated I really appreciate what they are doing and wanted to stick with them and help them grow. now with the MR that will be my 6th machine and if I get another xr that will be 7. The only thing I wanted to try another brand for was mainly the Z axis. Every other company has a different method than LM. The LM one with 4 bearings just always seems to have play in it, then when it touches off its a bit harder and say with ohmic sensing. I do fight with bevel quite a bit so not sure if its Z axis issue or what. Iv been running nominal voltage lately to help with that. Overall yah Im happy with it, but I would hope to get atleast a solid year maybe two out of it atleast for the costs, but even at 7k to your door its a great price.

2 Likes

I cut proprietary parts. Mainly hotrod related. I ran a printshop for 13 yrs and doing custom art and orders just gets old. I like designing my own stuff and selling it. I also weld alot so its a combo of things to learn and do. Now with the MR coming out that will open more doors. I go through almost 2k lb of steel every few weeks or so.

where did you get your magnet?