X Y axis stops abruptly

Has anyone experienced issues with the servo motors stopping abruptly during a cut, but the program continues on like the torch is still moving? Fortunately I experienced this in dry-run mode and didn’t waste material. I started to exercise the table in both directions and found when the x-axis does this, I can gently grip the motor coupling and turn it and it will start again, but it repeatedly does it. This table is 3 years old and never had an issue before, but it probably doesn’t have 30 minutes of cut time on it. I’ve hardly used it.

Unplug the X axis motor connector at the control box. Inspect it for burnt pins and plug it back in without tightening the screws.

It could also be that the X axis lead nut bracket is not square to the rail, but check the motor connector first.

1 Like

I’m back home now. Will do that shortly.

Check the power supply voltage. Should be 36v DC.
They fail all the time.

Fixed it! Luckily no burned pins. I was about to swap servo’s and noticed when I went to unscrew the coupling the screw on the servo side was slightly looser than the drive screw side. I decided to just tighten it up, fixed it. Odd though, I would not of considered this screw loose at all. Just loose enough for the motor to slip. Thanks for the help gentlemen. I did check all the other couplings too.

2 Likes

Bigdaddy2166-
Tell me more about the voltage supply, is that inside the ECU? Should I order a spare?

They are readily available on Amazon for 35 dollars or so. They put out 36 VDC to the controllers. When they start to fail, the voltages drop, which makes the motors stall from improper voltages. I keep one on the shelf, but there is no need unless you’re a prepper like me.

Alright thank you. Good racers have spares, I’ll be ordering one.

Aclorol 36V 10A 360W Switching Convert Power Supply Universal Regulated AC Adapter for LED Strip Pixel Lights CCTV Camera Security System Radio Computer Project https://a.co/d/aREezri

1 Like

If you decide you want to check and/or adjust the power supply, here is a graphic from Langmuir. They caution that you will need to be “Careful: High Voltage.”

3 Likes