Who are you? What are you doing?

Heck just build a stealth fighter :smirk_cat:

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 85 that i use with my table and only used my crossfire to cut everything out. No drilling operation or secondary process. It pierced down through the plate and then started cutting the shape. I have a video of it but I was playing with the time lapse feature on my GoPro and the setting i had it on made the video too quick. I might be able to slow it down to make it better to watch…

I actually used the 2nd set i cut out to make a fork attachment. They are so useful and make moving things 10x easier. You wont regret spending the time to make yourself a set

1 Like

@jimt - haha, yep, the fingers need to stay away from the spinny-thing! :slight_smile:

-Ben

1 Like

I guess when you stop and think how crazy this world is …

My fields are corn, wheat, Beans or hay. I fly in the river bottoms. nothing but crop ground. There is a couple comercial air ports but there 2 hours that way and that way.

Well your corn & hay fields will be non-compliant non-compliance fields. If the rule is implemented it will be illegal to fly in your fields. I expect the commercial fields will become authorized non-compliance fields. There’s paperwork involved but no word on fees.

Fields that non-compliant RC aircraft are to be allowed to fly in must be authorized to be a compliant non-compliance field. :roll_eyes:

Hobbyist - So far I’ve used it for:

mounting brackets for card swipe stands for my day job.
Christmas presents.
Farm equipment repairs.
Personal furniture.
Items for friends projects.
Recycle old metal items into usable items ( Circular saw blades into caster mount brakets).
Metal targets for plinking.
Instagram has a never ending supply of projects #langmuirsystems

3 Likes

There already have been numerous encounters at / bear airports. It’s the same-old-same-old - a few @ssholes ruin it for everybody. At the same time, I wouldn’t want to be on a plane taking off that sucks a RC in at 300’ and grenades a jet engine… We all know how well that (wouldn’t turn out).

Worked 20 something years in a non-exciting privatized, non disclosed position doing boring work.

Retired. Worked another 15 years doing some cool stuff that I don’t really talk about anymore.

And now I try to work a horse farm in Florida and do my metal work while managing another small horse farm in Florida.

Also a strong Christian who won’t force my views on you but will always invite you to church.

My wife is an exceptional woman who has brought life to a 50 year old grumpy man who was always skeptical, critical, judgemental and harsh with people.

I love guns, shooting guns, flying drones, tractors, dogs, farm life, my wife and God.

7 Likes

Not real likely. Certainly less likely than sucking a goose into the engine (and btw, the engine is designed to fully contain an exploded engine - those blades fly apart and they’re staying inside the engine housing).

This is over-reaction to a perceived problem that was blown up by the get-excited-for-ratings people. Notice how many “drone close encounter” reports you’ve read in the last 6 months? How about 2 years ago? Every freaking spot on a jet’s windshield was a drone 2 years ago and got reported as a near miss. Now they’re dirty spots again.

Do stupid people break the rules? Yeah, there are already a bunch of ways to chase down a dipwad who does that. Check the stats on how many RC planes have been involved in near misses or aircraft accidents in the past 50 years. (Don’t spend a lot of time, you won’t find any.) But regulators have to regulate and the masses don’t like drones so bundle everything that flies in the same bucket and prohibit it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Dairy Farmer from Wisconsin made a lot of parts in the last year

4 Likes

Are you on the owners map? I’m down by Janesville.

That sure looks like a hunk of steel! How thick is it?

1.25 and it was bigger than 4 x 8 sheet from what I remember mount for excavator

Hello!
My name is Greg Carter. I’m from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Full time gig is writing software for oil and gas research company. I hope to use the Pro for cutting steel and copper for my art projects, in addition to various fab stuff for specialized tools I need. I built a large CNC saw to cut stone, currently 2 axis adding rotary this spring. The goal is to use the Pro to combine metal and stone.

If you are bored I have a youtube channel that shows how the saw works:

7 Likes

Wow! CNC stone cutter. What do the cutting Mills cost for that? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi James, the saw use a steel cable with diamond beads. It’s more like grinding than cutting. The saw uses a 15 meter loop (~45 feet) and costs ~$55 USD per meter. It lasts a fairly long time.

3 Likes

Amazing! Thanks for showing this to us! What is the linear cut speed on the piece that you’ve shown? Does it vary by thickness and/or type of stone?

1 Like

Hi Tom, yes you are correct the cut speed varies by both the width of cut (how much wire is touching stone) and the type of stone. Cut speeds are SLOW. The above stone is limestone, which is a soft stone to cut. It was about 24" wide where the rectangles were cut out. I cut that at 1"/min. I’ve cut up to 44" wide granite at 1.5"/min but that was pushing it. Technically I can cut up to about 11’ wide if I can get the stone on the cart. Then I would be probably cutting in the 1/4" or less per minute. I had to make some compromises for rapid rates, because my motors are just regular AC induction motors I had to make sure that they ran around their normal rated RPM (1750) while cutting, since cutting operations will be long running and rapids moves less. So with the gear reduction necessary for that it means my rapids are limited to about 4" per minute, and that’s with the motors screaming at 7200 rpm. Hope that answers your question.

4 Likes

Watertown not on owner’s map yet

Incredable. Wouldnt the cavemen loved to have had you around. Thats one of the coolest homade things I have seen in along time.

3 Likes