Who are you? What are you doing?

Most minds in here are slightly twisted and warped. But … Welcome to the gang!

3 Likes

I’m a machanic at a paper mill in North Carolina, I work shift work and get alot of days off during the week and 7 days off in a row every month. Currently I have a eBay business that I make and sale various tools for blacksmiths, rocket stoves, smoker baskets and the occasional offset pig cooker. I got a 18 year old special needs son and his step brother from my ex wife’s new marriage that I spend alot of the extra money from the welding shop on concerts, atv’s, and now racing go karts I’m getting them into. He loves a rapper named Upchurch and I have taken him to 5 of his shows and he even met him one time in person. We went to Nashville last summer funded by my shop to see where Upchurch lives and grew up. Had a ball, plus I got to see Carrie Underwood at the Opry so not a bad trip. But I’m looking to expand into yard art, custom brackets and save time on the things I cut out by porta band or torch now to speed up what I sale online. It’s all new to me but I’m excited to get my box #2 and see how far I can push myself and make the best things possible. I really love this group and in the future after I get it all down packed I’m here for y’all and I’m sure y’all are here for me also. So glad I went with Langmuir

4 Likes

I am an operator at a steel mill in North Alabama and like Punksab2000 I work shift work and have a 4 on and 4 off schedule so I’m only scheduled half of the days out of the year unless someone schedules vacation, then we cover that. We just currently had an operator quit so I am working almost every day until they fill his job, but that was my choice, trying to get house paid off since that is the only bill that my wife and I have except utilities, food and toys like the Langmuir. Currently looking at a 6090 cnc router for my wife to use with her crafts and wood pallet signs that she makes.
I am currently upgrading my table to have the Z axis like tooljunkie, just need time off to do it since we work 12hr shifts and I drive 63 miles one way.

I love this community and have learned allot from the people here that participate. So have fun, ask question and learn allot and make more things when you do.

6 Likes

I have been looking at some bumper designs here lately. Did you do some Indexing to cut the plates larger than the table size? I seen a thread about doing some indexing but the context was hard to follow along with. I’m currently looking into some solutions for indexing bigger parts. Plus already laying out a square tubing frame to go around the machine so I can lay a 4x8 sheet down and maneuver it easier.

Zero CNC experience here before getting into this hobby… Computers don’t scare me.
Have always had a “thing” for figuring out the way things work so, this was a good fit… Stubborn. Working on having patience every day!!

Pretty simple guy. Name here is Bill actually. 50yrs old… I’m a carpenter of 32yrs and have no interest in anything having to do with wood for a hobby LOL!! I’ve found a passion for working with steel in my spare time… Weld, shape, fab…etc… Both artwork and functional pieces that need to be within “spec” are interesting to me. I have friends into cars and racing but, don’t do any myself… Would really LOVE to start Blacksmithing as well. I have a lot of the tools, just not enough time for all… YET!!

I’ve made a ton of stuff and have given most of it away… Mostly, just trying to recoup material costs most of the time otherwise…

Love to create and learn new things!! That’s it for me in a nutshell…

3 Likes

Hey, I do have a question if you don’t mind, what version of fusion 360 do I need if I don’t want to do the toolpaths? Or is that even an option? Thanks.

It’s not an option. You get all of Fusion’s capabilities but can choose not to use whichever ones you’d rather not. The only difference is the licensing - hobbyists are free, commercial with less than $1,000 in sales is free; everyone else has an annual subscription fee.

Good to know, because I need all the support I can get.
Thank you.

I worked with fusion 360 for over a year trying to work through the bugs and hiccups before buying sheetcam. I would have just shelled out the money if I knew the difference back then!

1 Like

This is a hobby to slide into retirement. This machine has paid for itself 10x within the last year!

5 Likes

Started out buying it to make some parts for the kit aircraft I manufacture, but it’s been far more profitable to use it to make signs and brackets and misc things for local businesses! It’s been a great purchase, and I couldn’t be happier!

1 Like

@FortMfg is there somewhere we can go to see your kit aircraft? That sounds interesting.

Sure - you can go to www.thatcheraircraft.com for more info.

-Ben

2 Likes

@nick.lema208 What plasma source did you use to cut the 3/4"? Did you drill the round holes or pierce and cut with plasma? I’ve got a JCB 212s backhoe that has its own 'quick attach" style as well. I really want a set of forks for it but having a set made was quoted $4500 (CDN), would like to put the Crossfire to use on building my own. Anyway nice job.

Pretty damn cool. I better stay away from those. I have a couple RC nitro planes and air boats that gave me a few scars. I learned after a couple times dont touch that thingy that goes round and round.

Did you see the new FAA proposed rule that you’ll have to have that connected to the internet and reporting its position in real-time to some FAA servers?

No but it dont saprise me at all. Probably be an air tax someday.

Comment period ended yesterday. You’ll also need to register it with manufacturer provided serial numbers.

If you don’t, you’ll only be allowed to fly in special “non compliance” fields. They’ll take applications for folks (like flying clubs) to operate those. But only for a year. After that there will be no new fields allowed to fly non-compliant RC aircraft :slightly_frowning_face:

Ima goin ROUGE ! Catch me if you can ( who ever the over educated person that came up with that deal ) lol

Control freaks. They’re afraid of RC craft (& drones) might encroach near airports and they want to be able to find anyone who does. :roll_eyes:

1 Like