Who are you? What are you doing?

Are you a business owner or perhaps just a hobbyist? How do you plan on using your CrossFire?

2 Likes

Hobbist / Side Business
I will make anything from signs, art décor, off-road brackets, 4-links parts, automotive parts, custom one off pieces, etc…

I went in with a business partner last year got a 4x4 machine cheapo that was a pita to be honest. I ended up doing 90% of the work and he would hardly show up to do anything. Mostly last minute and would do crappy work on grinding or powder coating. I finally got tired told him to kick rocks.
Now I just placed my order for a Crossfire and doing it all on my own with family coming by helping and hanging out.

You can really do some great things with these machines and I’m using it to help save up for my own CNC Mill or Lathe. I have been a CNC Programmer Machinist for 11 years working on making my own company. Anyone ever need any help on programs, parts, or files I’m more than happy to help out.

7 Likes

I’m a sheet metal worker by trade. I like to dabble in all sorts of metal work. Blacksmithing, coppersmithing and welding/fabrication. I have many thoughts on how to use my new pro but always looking for ideas/inspiration.

1 Like

Bought the Crossfire in May to build my own bumpers and suspension parts for my Jeep. Already had a plasma with a hand torch and figured the cost of the crossfire would be a wash vs buying parts and much more fun and “custom.” I ended up taking on small orders and making some extra money. That’s grown and I’ve upgraded to a Hypertherm with Duramax torch, 2 stage 80gal compressor, refrigerated and desiccant dryers, etc. I’ve used the profits from the Crossfire to buy the upgrades and a finger press brake, powder coat set up, tube roller, ring roller, parts cleaner, media blaster, and various other tools. I’m 2-4 weeks away from buying a 5x10 table and leaving the Crossfire behind. I do have a “side business” but it’s not organized enough to accommodate large scale orders. I’m hoping with the new table and some more time/effort I can call it a business.

6 Likes

@dingus1331 I’m also a sheet metal worker by trade (17 years in local 66) I have the regular xf and my pro just showed up today. It’s the best decision I’ve made and I love all the things in able to make for friends and family.

2 Likes

@OffRoadDevilDog that is amazing. I hope I have that type of success. @jeffhansen541 I spent 12 years in local 105 and now I’m in local 5.

1 Like

My wife and my son bought me the Crossfire for fathers day last year. I had a plasma cutter that I bought to build metal signs for my Driving range. I wanted signs that rang out load when they got hit by a golf ball. The first set I cut out of 3/16" steel before I had the table, now I am finishing up 2 more sets that will complete this project. This set is all stainless, I designed a way to mount raised letters by using a 1/4" rod on the back side to lock everything together. I bought a Swag Offroad finger break that works very well with the Crossfire. I also work on a Nascar race team and I make parts and special tools for our team, I have no intention of cutting anything commercially, maybe if I retire someday.

6 Likes

Those signs are looking sharp. Nice job. Just needs paint eh?

1 Like

Ya man, thanks to you they are coming along fine. They are painted and the paint is curring right now.
Went back to Logan Steel today and bought stainless 1/4" rods.
I still have your Spare plasma cutter.

1 Like

Which NASCAR team are you with?

1 Like

It is a local SK modified team.

3 Likes

I work at a Utility company, North central Mo. I had no intensions of having a cnc plasma table. One day I came across it somewhere. I looked at others,they all cost alot more. I pondered over it awhile and thought it has to be fun so i ordered it ( regular crossfire ) At first like many here I about gave up many times. It was all brand new stuff to me. Then I got the XL kit. I give away most of what i make. Actually I donated 3 things today to an auction for school kids to raise money to go to DC. Then the PRO came out. I didnt need it or really didnt want it at first. Then I got to thinking if I wait it will cost me more so I got in on batch 1. So here I am having fun losing money. That dont happen often in life.

6 Likes

I’m a weldor at my day job, spend 8 hours a day or more tig welding aluminum. In 2018 I started a legit side hustle, mostly welding repairs. I do some machining as needed and some blacksmithing work. Bought my Crossfire mainly for cutting floor flange plates, wall flanges, and gussets I’ve been cutting out by hand. Plus it gave me a reason to finally learn Fusion 360. Having a cnc has definitely changed the way I approach projects.

2 Likes

Good looking car. I crew for a dirt modified, a late model and a street stock. All of em out of Louisville.

1 Like

Oh cool, my brother runs a dirt modified in ND.

1 Like

I’m an Advanced Manufacturing Engineer in CT and bought my Crossfire for hobby use. I finally got around to using it for a more useful project and made the attachment brackets for my skid steer out of 3/4" plate. I have an older Gehl so it doesn’t have the universal attachment and uses its own style :roll_eyes: . My main Hobby is Lawnmower racing, so I’m excited to use my plasma table to make parts for those along with various other projects.

5 Likes

You’ll want to hook up with @ctgolfer - he’s making things for his car racing team but you guys might be able to trade ideas. He’s up in E. Htfd.

Have been in the same machine shop/job shop for 26 years, I can run and program everything from saws, to cnc lathes/mills/wire edms grinders, shipping, receiving to office work. Currently Purchasing manager and got some great hook ups from local metal suppliers and such, now I decided I was tired of cutting out art work and truck parts with a cut off wheel and grinders.
Cant wait for May…or earlier, working on a make money idea and stop working for the man

2 Likes

I can see this thread for what it is!

OP is an OPERATIVE working for Autodesk… and he/she is JUST trying to get us all to ADMIT that we’re using our “educational copy” of Fusion 360 for COMMERICAL PURPOSES!

…and I AIN’T falling for it bub!

So if you MUST know, my name is… (ahem) John Smith, and I’m currently a “STUDENT”… yeah, that’s it! and I only use my shop for things which are (coincidentally) also deemed by the Autodesk Fusion 360 license agreement as “Educational purposes”!

Umm yeah! That’s my story, and I’m STICKING to it! :grin:

OMG! What is THAT over THERE??!!
(points to horizon over OP’s shoulder… Runs away)

7 Likes

I love the smell of paranoia in the morning err evening? I never even considered something so nefarious. Just looking to get to know some people with a similar mind.

3 Likes