Trouble cutting 3/8” with Crossfire Pro and Primeweld Cut60 (Not solved yet)

Hello @langmuir-reilly or @langmuir-aksel, I have dealt with both of you before, and you’ve both been so helpful, so I figured I might tag you onto my thread and try to ask a question this way.

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get up and running with my CF-Pro (probably not the table or software’s fault, though we haven’t ruled those out, yet, either). I’ve been working with Thomas for about 3 weeks now.

My second Primeweld Cut60 has now failed, so I need to purchase another plasma cutter and I would like to do that today.

I’m waffling between the Hypertherm 45XP and the Everlast Powerplasma 62i. The Everlast certainly fits my budget better, but Langmuir hasn’t added the “i” series of Everlast Powerplasma cutters to the compatibility list yet, so far as I can tell, even though they replaced the “s” series a while ago.

Is this an oversight on Langmuir’s part? Both the “60s” and the “62i” are sold under the “Powerplasma” line.

I need to make sure that I will continue receiving support if I purchase the Everlast Powerplasma 62i, because there’s still a chance that my issue is in the Langmuir electronics or FireControl software, even though the Primeweld seems like it may be the most likely culprit, at this point.

Thank you for your time!

It didn’t go off the list. Just confirmed. It says “2021 and Newer”.

It did, but they reinstated it.

Still, for the amount of people who struggle to make the machine work with the Langmuir table, it probably shouldn’t be on there.

And I don’t want to get into trouble, but PW has been saying that “only 6 people” ever had issues with the CNC port, but I know at least 3 people who have had issues recently, and they’ve all been in contact with PW, and they still say “only 6 people”, so, I’ll let you deduce how realistic that “6” number really is… :rofl:

That is like NordicTrack that claims 4 out of 5 people are still using their NordicTrack 5 years after purchasing. They never contacted me and I stopped using it after two years. Perhaps they included people that used it as a coat rack!

2 Likes

Haha! Hey, that’s a valid use case. Ours had a dozen coats at least hanging from it at one point. Very sturdy coat rack! :rofl:

1 Like
2 Likes

It would be interesting @Phillipw

Langmuir has spent several hours of Thomas’ time, replaced my z-axis after a crash, and sent me ferrite chokes and a USB isolator (no cost).

We ruled the Primeweld out, as the freezing had occurred with two separate cutters, and DRO readings suggested the cutter was behaving predictably.

NOW, just because the second cutter burnt up does NOT mean that it was causing FireControl to freeze; I’m not even sure it’s likely, but…

If the Primeweld does end up being the cause of my issues, and because two units did the same, it would be interesting if that was reason enough to take them back off the list…

It’s a shame because they’re great folks, and their customer service is VERY top notch, BUT, I sure have wasted a bunch of time chasing issues with their machine…

Anyway, I’m babbling.

I haven’t heard anything from Langmuir (support ticket, phone call, etc) since yesterday early afternoon. I’m dying to get a plasma cutter at least ordered. I’ve got jobs stacked up for when I finally get this thing working. It KILLS ME not being able to use this expensive piece of equipment which takes up 10% of my shop space.

1 Like

Not looking to argue, but here is a fresh screen shot and a link to the compatible cutter list. Maybe they need to do some housekeeping:

Plasma Cutter | Langmuir Systems

I think this is a communication error. Previously it wasn’t on the list. Before that it was. Now it is again. They took it off for a while. It IS back on there NOW.

I hope I am properly articulating this information. Sometimes I think I’m articulate, but actually sound imbecilic.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Not arguing in my statement I said it was removed the put back on.

1 Like

I have found that when I argue with @Phillipw about something he has said, usually I have misread it. :blush:

I have a bad habit of not being clear . Must be the water here!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If your wanting completely trouble free operation then why are you even considering any other cutter. Get the HyperThem and get the table working.

2 Likes

••• UPDATE •••
I heard back from Langmuir:

Bear with me here, as I know I’m the “newb” preaching to the experts on this forum.

The Everlast Powerplasma “i” series plasma cutters are NOT on the Langmuir compatibility list because of the voltage dividing calibration. Langmuir recommends that if you use this machine anyway, that you wire it internally to raw voltage (I am unsure why raw voltage through the CNC port is an issue, but that’s what they say).

Langmuir did say that their only hard requirement for table warranty consideration is that the cutter not use high frequency start, but they DO recommend that I (you/me) pick something off of their compatibility list.

Many of you used the fact that the Cut60 had gone off of the compatibility list as a means to suggest that using it was “risky”, but the Everlast 52i, 62i, 82i, etc, have never been on the compatibility list.

Though it seems the majority of you commenting on this thread use the Everlast “i” series cutters without issue.

I just wanted to pass this information along. Please don’t shoot the messenger.

1 Like

I use the Cut 60 without issues it is the 1st gen.

1 Like

@ttoy360, the only reason I’m waffling on the Hypertherm, besides the fact that I’d have to put it on a credit card, is because I’m not 100% sure the plasma cutter has been my issue, despite that burnt up board. Basically, if I put a ~$3,000 plasma cutter on my credit card, and my table still doesn’t work, I’m up the proverbial creek sans paddle.

I’m beyond sick of chasing my tail, but as a rule, I only buy things I have the cash on hand to purchase, but I’m in a pickle because now I have a possibly defective $4,000 table and no plasma cutter to use on it.

If the Hypertherm solved my issues, then I could probably pay it off in a month or two. I’ve got $500 worth of work waiting on me to get running, and I’ve already purchased the steel for it.

Not trying to serenade you with my tiny violin; this is just my internal struggle.

***Edit: thank you; I was going to ask which cutter you were using and forgot.

Also, I gotta say. I’ve tried to call Langmuir’s sales line a few times since yesterday. I left a message yesterday afternoon asking for an OTD price and lead time on the Hypertherm 45XP, and they haven’t called me back.

I know I can buy the Hypertherm elsewhere, but Langmuir actually seems to have the best price.

Everlast answered their phone right away and says they can have the 62i CNC package to me tomorrow.

Hmmmm…

Hey Casey, sorry that you have had a hard time reaching us via the phone- we’ve been beyond busy as of recent.

It looks like you got the answers you were looking for, and I’ve sent you an invoice for a Hypertherm Powermax45 XP in case you want to purchase it from us. Let me know if you want to include our Hypertherm CPC cable to the invoice.

However, the Hypertherm would likely ship from our facility in a couple of weeks, not right away. If you’re looking to get a new plasma cutter as quickly as possible, you may want to consider purchasing the Hypertherm Powermax45 XP elsewhere, or purchasing the 62i directly through Everlast.

2 Likes

Thank you for getting back to me, Aksel. Yeah, 2+ weeks won’t work. I wanted to try and spend a little more money with you guys since you’ve been so gracious with your support.

I think I’m going to try the Everlast machine, and hopefully finally start cutting.

:+1:

Thanks Again!

2 Likes

Question for the Everlast “i” series owners:

I read previously on this forum that the Everlast “i” series had a 100:1 voltage divider incompatible with Langmuir THC, but the owners manual (now) states that the divided voltage signal is adjustable between as-shipped 50:1 (1v to 3v) or 16:1 by removing a jumper.

So, are they just wrong? Or does this perhaps represent a change?

I think I’ll wire to raw voltage regardless, but this is contrary to what I’ve read, so I’m asking the question.