Torch height wont change

This has been a post that I’ve been following for some great info. We were running some test cuts to fine tune settings. What we found was if we lowered the pierce height down to about nothing the divots were gone. We left the cut height at .06 for 12 and 14 gauge metal. We had a hypertherm 1000 with the crossfire pro and now have the xp85 with the XR. The cuts with the xp85 compared to the 1000 are night and day with the fine tune setting. The lines are crazy thin and bevels are good.

1 Like

Just getting to this myself. Using Razorweld 45, Sheetcam, Version 1.6 PP, and Corel to make the svg. I kept changing the cut height to get to .06 actual, was down to .04, and measured .83 with feeler guages. I altered the PP, as suggested by directioneast, and changed the cut height back to .06, and thats what I got when measured. ( I changed the (0.02 * 25.4…) to (0.00 * 25.4…). I’m looking for other threads to see if there is something newer, but this works for now on the last cut I did.

perfect that was exactly what I was looking for. time for some test cuts

I have not actually tried messing with the post processor editor but seems like its pretty easy from the screenshot I posted above. I didn’t want to mess with anything bc I had major issues with motion control errors and dealing with LM. But we got it all ironed out.
I have set a few files at .04 cut and also added some corner slowing rules but I still get some pretty bad bevels. Its becoming and endless fight that is concerning for me. I will say the XR is better at cutting holes than the PRO. But I feel like something is just not right with my setup and or possibly the THC with LM. I just tried slowing down some files yesterday with pretty new consumables and desiccant no luck. Even on my files with .04 cut height. Its mostly on .188 as I cut at 125ipm. When I cut 1/4 at 80imp its less bevel but sometimes it shows up more dep on consumables.

I seem to be having a similar problem as the original poster. I noticed some unwanted bevel on a few smaller parts and grabbed a set of feeler gages to check my pierce and cut heights. My initial pierce height was set to .15 and measured .21 while my cut was set to .06 with .01 of backlash and measured roughly .11. I got the pierce height to .15 by changing the pierce height in fusion to .1 however no matter what I changed the cut height to it would not go lower than .09. I stopped the machine in the middle of multiple programs with it cutting, with the thc on and off and with the machine and thc off but ihs on. I changed the cut height down to .01 and backlash set to 0 with the thc turned off and still measured .09 on the cut height. The z axis carriage moves freely up and down and my torch head can pass the slats. I am not sure what else to try, the g code numbers are correct but the torch is not going to those numbers.

I am having the same problem with bevels while cutting 14g. No matter what you set the cut height at I get the same bevel. This is apparently a problem with the post processor which is provided from Langmuir? Is there a fix for this yet or are we applying Band-Aids. I am using the XR with the Razorweld Cut 45 and using fusion 360.

Still looking for what fixed the problem for AultFab. Not sure if I need to try the nominal voltage business as it worked for some other guys? Or whatever fixed the issue for AultFab.

Im with Rustycuts. I am also experiencing this same issue and my high is similar to others?? I have changed multiple things and I am still getting angles, almost zero dross but bad angles

After measuring I am way over .116" as well and set to .0591". I posted on this before and was told it was the way I had the torch mounted in my holder but I have checked this several times. What is the cure for this?

Can you get a picture of how it is mounted? Is the ihs switch opening before the torch touches off? Is z axis moving freely all the way up and down? Do you have any chance of electrical interference cause false readings? Have you monitored voltage while cutting or wrote in voltage?

Hi Phillipw. Thanks for your reply. I would get anything you need as I have been fighting this for several weeks now and getting a bit frustrated. I think you are just wanting a pic of the torch and how its mounted?? I can grab the tip of the torch and easily move it up and down from stop to stop. I do not believe the IHS is switching before the torch touches off the plate. I have checked these measurements several times according to Langmuir’s instructions. There is a good chance I have electrical interference. I have ran the THC tests dozens of times with no issues and after I posted this I ran it again and the test is now saying I have EMI noise but the voltage tests are all good. have looked at a few thinks and I am going to move to run some grounding cables on this machine. This is a bit odd as I stated I have ran this test many times with zero issues. I have just ordered a couple filters and I will run a separate ground to the chassis this week to see if this does anything. What I do not understand is this is repeatable. It seems every time I check the gap (I have checked often) the numbers are always the same. I would think they would be all over the place if I had to much noise.
Does this pic look adequate?

Check your USB cable make sure it isn’t touching anything as far as the frame . I am sure you can search grounding issues. I will me more than glad get on the phone sometime and help you diagnose

1 Like

Nothing has fixed it.

Have you tried removing the rack and lowering the torch more? At slow speed lower your z axis until the ihs light comes on then see if torch is touching the plate.

I would like to try adjusting the nominal voltage but I can’t find any examples of how to do that. I’ve read in some of the other threads that it has worked.

What plasma are you running. In the THC section of fire control there is a settings button

I’ll check that out, I had seen a settings button but never tried to change any values. I have run a report on voltages, is there a rule of thumb on changing the values up or down?

if you are running a Hypertherm the manual has the voltage to enter. it depends on material you are cutting i assume which is dangerous that most plasmas are going to be relatively close to the same voltage.

what do you have your cut height set to in your settings? what material are you cutting?

1 Like

Thank you Phillipw I might consider that. I will first run the new grounding wires to the chassis and report back.

AultFab NOTHING HAS SOLVED YOUR ISSUE?? Has Langmuir responded to you?? I really find this hard to believe there is a height issue with this as I have moved my torch a few times to ensure its touching the plate and lifting correctly PLUS it seems to always be in the .115" mark like it pierces but wont retract after that. I am also using Hypertherm 45.
I am struggling with this also so maybe we can find a cure with Phillips help.

Dangerous? How ?