Torch crashing into plate when starting cut

Having a real problem. Not sure what it is. I zero everything, and when I hit start, the THC Z axis just plunges down into the plate, no firing, lifting the entire y axis arm then errors out. I just cut something the other day and it was fine.

This plate is 3/16. It has milscale but its clean.
Test firing works fine
I clamped the ground to the piece, made no difference
I cleaned the table stands
Its metal to metal on everything

52I everlast
Simulating the cut in Fusion looks good

any Ideas?
sett

Try a different program. Some small trinket you have saved. I take it back follow ds690 instructions.

It’s not the THC doing that. The IHS system is what controls the torch probing sequence to set the Z zero.

The code for the IHS sequence commands the Z axis to go down (up to 5") until the IHS switch opens. Then it raises until the switch closes and sets the Z zero.

Your IHS switch is not opening, which is why the Z keeps trying to drive the torch down. You need to investigate why that switch that is behind the Z carriage is not opening.

It’s not a broken wire, because you would get the IHS fail error if an IHS wire was disconnected.

6 Likes

Thank you!! It was a loose wire! I tighten it a bit, but how do you get anything in there to tighten the bolt? I used a small needle nose and held the screw somewhat. It will probably loosing up again.

2 Likes

I haven’t had to do it, but some people have drilled access holes through the back of the Z axis.

The proper way is to completely disassemble the Z axis.

2 Likes

Here is where I discussed doing that. I don’t know if it is the best way but I fixed mine:

3 Likes

Thanks again @ChelanJim @Bigdaddy2166 @ds690 for the quick response today. I was in a time crunch and you saved the day! It’s great to see the regulars and all the time you dedicate to this forum.

5 Likes

People like you make it worth it for us. You will be one of us soon! :wink:

2 Likes

It is our mission :muscle:… I new David was correct and got out of the way.
Happy cutting.

5 Likes