TIG welding the water pan

What did you use to dimple around the drains?

Used a 4 1/2” hole saw to cut out a hole on a piece of 3/16 plate on the drill press, then welded a piece the same size to the back of the hole piece. Then I drilled a 3/8 hole in the center of the hole and drilled out the pilot hole in the inside piece to 3/8. Then I put a 3/8 grade 8 bolt through with thick fender washers centered the works on my hole in the pan and tightened down with an impact until it was dented in about 1/16”. I can get a picture of it after work.

1 Like

3 Likes

Time to go to the metal supplier and pickup a few rems for a die. I think I’ll go with 10 gauge for the hole die.

Sorry for the newbie question. What welder do you use for these jobs? To your mind, is it possible to choose smth decent from this list?
Thanks in advance

@FairFrank Here is a list of compatible plasma cutters that will work with the Langmuir Systems tables.
Plasma Cutter | Langmuir Systems.

I’ve got an older version of this AHP AlphaTIG 203XI | AHP Tools Inc.

It runs on 110 or 220 and it has served me well for several years of welding steel and aluminum.

@stinker337 you misread his request…he was looking for WELDER information…not PLASMA information…hehehehehe

not to worry…I have been accused of this many many times

@FairFrank which ever you can afford it about the best option…

1 Like

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Finally got around to welding my pans together. Worked out great and just thought id post so others will not be afraid of doing as i was. I simply clamped by pans down to a certiflat table and welded in small sections as was recommended. I used clamps and a few bolts on the seem as needed. Where the bolt slots were at I used a cutting wheel and opened them up to allow for easier welding. All things considered I was just putting it off as I thought it was going to be a very hard weld to tackle. I used no filler rod and and it turned out fine. Just took my time. Also made my own system with a couple sockets and a bolt to dimple the drain. Ill post a couple pics of that as well. Hoping to get table up and running this week.

1 Like

Uploading: 1F8C7885-E740-49F5-9141-B68B70AD5C70.jpeg…

I got a quote of 580.00 to tig weld my water pan. Seems a little steep ! Is it to much ? Seems like I could have a new one built for that much .

I’m guessing that you don’t have a TIG welder? That price is excessive. That seems like the “I don’t want to do this job” price.

1 Like

Check with local trade schools. Shew that kinda of money you could ship to someone on here and back cheaper.

That’s a super easy autogenous weld job. I would check around for some other pricing.

2 Likes

51xCnc8dXaL.AC_SY1000
This is what i used after seeing it recommended by other users.I have a tig welder but chose to use this and im very happy i did.

1 Like

I am not a master welder by any means…the trick I found was to bolt the tray down on the frame…bolt it together without any sealant…the add 1/4" water in each pan and fuse/melt the seam together…just like the picture above…worked great for me

2 Likes

I followed Toolboy’s guidance and was fairly impressed with how the welds turned out given my lack of time running a TIG torch. I recorded my experience for YouTube and will be posting a video in a few days.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, here is the video I did about welding my water table.

4 Likes

May I ask concerning the drains, did the SS lose some of it’s properties from heat so that it might rust. Any issues there? Thanks

if you use some water additives then you will not have to worry about any SS rusting due to TIG heat…

1 Like