Thoughts about improving cut in 1/2 inch steel

I can overlay the PLA+ 3D printed test piece and it’s almost a 100 percent match in size. Very close.

The pins are undersized 1.25 inch, Fits prefect on the front where it was an outside cut, the holes cut slightly undersized with a small amount of bevel. Holes and front fork were sized to 1.25 inch. No issue, I still have to bore out the pin bushing for the top plate (was machined) so a quick pass with boring tool and that should be fine.

I’m really pleased they cut out great in one go. Had just enough good 1/2 steel plate to cut three bottoms. I could mess up once before having to get more 1/2 inch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is what I call a success story!

Thinking this experience over, the cut60dn seems fine for steel < 1/2. While the actual cut on 1/2 is clean, the heavy underside dross is disappointing. For kicks, I might rig up the original hand torch and see what that does.

I’ve been searching youtube for 1/2 steel being cut. Checking out undersides. The best cuts seem to be using Hypertherm cutters. Next to zero backside dross even with > 1/2 inch. Nice dross free zero on them. Others have varying amounts of backside dross. The tips of the Hypertherms seem to have an advanced design. The hynade tips are very simplistic.

I should start the crying now and get a Hypertherm, sort of just rip the bandaid off principle.

2 Likes

If the underside dross comes off easily, I would have a hard time spending the money to upgrade just for that small benefit. Now if you are going to cut 1/2 plate daily that might be a different story. Now if the cutter you have takes a crap, then at that point I would give more thought to a Hypertherm

3 Likes

Looking at the spec you posted it should be able to cut faster then 5ipm. I use the Primeweld Cut 60 and the output specs are identical (except the air required) to the ones you posted. I’d be interested if it’s actually putting out 104 volts at 60 amps.

I have cut 1/2 and am not getting anywhere near the backside dross you are getting using the settings I posted above.

There has to be something you could change to improve your cuts if the cutter meets the published spec.

I do find it odd that all other cutters call for 5-6 cfm and the hynade is less than 2 cfm.

I don’t generally go against a manufacture recommendation but I have a hard time believing that <2cfm is sufficient.

Maybe consider upgrading your air and air drying before spending the $$$ on a different cutter. You will need more air to run the hyperthem anyway so why not start there.

That being said you can’t beat a hyperthem eventually I’d like to get one.

5 Likes

The 2 cfm is for the PM60 torch. The PTM80 is much higher, closer to 5-6. I kept an eye on air pressure when compressor kicked on. Compressor had no issue keeping up when cutting and was actually filling the tank, much slower than normal but defiantly filling as the tank pressure was creeping up from the turn on point.

Maybe I’m just a moron (never can tell :slight_smile: ), increasing air pressure just did not help much. It’s like the 60 amp is not really 60 amps. Would be fun to measure. One comment I see says that cut60dn is more a 45A cutter than 60A. Could be they skimped on their design (or copy).

I’ll keep an eye on FB marketplace and other places for a nice hyperthem.

PT 60 spec’s
current - 10-60 amp
duty - 60 amp/80%
gas - air/n2
gas pressure - 65/75 psi (4.4/5.0 bar)
gas flow - 320 scfh/5.3 scfm (150 lpm)
pilot arc - 18/22 amp
use a 3 way solenoid valve inside orifice 2.3/2.7mm (0.090/0.106")

PT 80 spec’s
current - 30/80 amp
duty - 80 amp / 60%
gas - air/n2
gas pressure - 65/75 psi (4.4/5.0 bar)
gas flow - 340 scfh/5.6 scfm (160 bar)
pilot arc - 18/22 amp
use a 3 way solenoid valve inside orifice 2.7/3.0mm (0.106/0.118")

2 Likes

It would be interesting to measure the output of both current and voltage.

I have seen some people speculate that some of these manufactures overstate the amps they are putting out, but if you look at the specs considering the output voltage the hypertherm is generally puts out 30-35% more watts than the cheaper brands because of the higher output voltage.

Its likely they have made the comparison because the output wattage of a hypertherm 45 vs your CUT60 are similar.

Reading your posts, you seem to understand all this stuff better than I do so I don’t need to tell you that watts not amps are the unit of power for electricity. W=VA

Here is the comparison based on rated power between a Hypertherm 45 amp machine and your machine. I also included the rated power of a 60 amp Hypertherm for perspective.

Hypertherm Powermax 45 145VDC @ 45 amps = 6525 W
Hynade CUT60 104VDC @ 60 amps = 6240W
Hypertherm Powermax 65 139VDC @ 65 amps = 9035W

You can see that the cutting power of a Hypertherm 45 amp machine slightly edges out your CUT60s rated power.

3 Likes

There is several older models that can be retrofitted with the duramax torch. look for these models.

https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fileId=HYP116299&zip=False

Powermax1000/1250/1650

I’m sure @mechanic416 may have some insight into this too.

3 Likes

Given the thoughts about cfm on this setup, I figure as an experimental physicist I could calculate it but it’s much easier to measure it

I should be around 5-6 cfm.

2 Likes

I happen to look up this manual for another reason the other day and I thought I’d post it it’s a requirements. It falls in line with most products out there.
5scfm

It does have the warning about insufficient air flow causing torch overheating at the bottom of that page.

I happen to own one of these miller units with the other torch but it doesn’t ever see the light of day anymore.

And one caveat is only IF the temperature is held constant.

3 Likes

You are not fooling us…you read these manuals just for fun!!!

2 Likes

sdavilla, I have the Hynade 60 also. I felt that the internal regulator was a restriction, so I removed it altogether. I don’t know for sure as I haven.t cut 1/2 in yet but it did make a big difference for 3.8 in. It sounds like more volume of air is coming out now. I set my regulator to 70 psi and it doesn’t fluctuate as much as it used to.

3 Likes

Here is the razor weld asking for 6cfm

1 Like

Interesting results. :slight_smile:

We start here. Normal setup, 60 psi. Touch cable not connected. Say 5.2 cfm.

Remove internal air regulator.

And we get,

Now 5.6 cfm. Progress. :slight_smile:

If we remove the air switch and let it blast to get best free-flow through cutter (less torch cable).

6 cfm. I also removed the external air regulator (just in-case) and used my house air regulator on the wall. The external is much, much better than the internal. Both are same model number, very different cfm behavior. :slight_smile: lol. My Hi-flow husky (HomeDepot) air regulator on the wall is even better. Free flow with front panel disconnected is 8+ cfm, I’m pegged on the flow gauge.

No joy poking at air switch. Can’t see a good way to open up the orifice. No joy with google ether. Nothing that really tells me the different models (SYMC STG2321-08) with respect to orifice.

1 Like

Hi flow air regulator swapped in.

Still 5.6 cfm. :frowning:

Now let’s attach PTM80 torch (new consumables).

Interesting, 1.6 cfm through PTM80. Also tried the PT60 torch head, Same 1.6 cfm.

If I remove the tip, 3 cfm. WTH ? :slight_smile:

Looks like air fittings and airline are restricting air. What size is your air supply line to cutter?
You want at least 1/2" airline to cutter and 110-120 psi air supply to cutter.

pic of my set up 3/4" from air tank to first filter then all 1/2" fittings through rest of filter system.

1 Like

Sure, 1/2 all the way is better than 3/8 but I tested max cfm with air switch removed (see previous posts) and venting inside the cutter. The air plumbing setup can deliver at least 6+ cfm to inside of the cutter and hold better than 60 psi easy. This is actual measured rate with a quality flow gauge. The restrictions are after the inside cutter air input (air switch, front connector, torch lines, etc).

1.6 cfm ~= 45 lpm which matches the “air flow rate” in the manual. I’m getting the impression that while the cut60dn/PTM80 “can” cut 1/2 steel, the cut rate is much, much slower than higher quality plasma torches. Heh, it will cost me $3k to find out. LOL.

To add to all the info on the Hynade plasmas
I have the cut 80 and I’m a electronic tech and have disassembled the cut80 and have analyzed the circuit and construction quality including parts used and can say after seeing the insides of the cut 60–they are completely different inside with the cut 60 looking way less robust, not that it didn’t cut the 1/2" but looks like it is at it’s end of capacity on 1/2", the cut 80 has a higher output current and voltage and is a better match for the 80 amp torch, look at the reviews on amazon on the cut 80 and you will see a guy who cut 1" without dross–so don’t discount the Hynade cut 80 for thick stuff !

The original poster is trying with some success to use the 80 amp torch with the 60 amp plasma, I’d try the Hynade cut 80 before paying 3K for a Hypertherm !!

You might consider doing an edge start for the cuts if possible.