Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 60I

I’m Following and very interested in this.

Did thermodynamics figure it’s the actual output of their unit?

Its is it the voltage input module from langmuir?

I thought it also might be interesting to do an ohm test on all the inputs and outputs of the voltage input module while not under power.

Thanks for keeping this topic current.

That sounds good Macguyver I will call them back again today and see if the lady I talked to heard back from her boss. Thank you

TD tech guy did not elaborate on why it has voltage present. He just said take it back to the dealer and get it replaced. Langmuir tech support emailed me back last Friday and said the issue was in the 60i and not in the THC. I tested everything I could following the THC troubleshooting flow chart and also tested the outputs with the hand torch and the machine torch connected and got the same results. The readings are not consistent either…they range from 8.2 to 17.4 thru Fire Control and 13.0 to 13.3 at the raw voltage connections and 175 to 282mV from the divided voltage pins at the automation interface card in the 60i. I don’t think we’ll find out the root cause from TD and I don’t have the testing equipment to probe deeper into the circuit boards. I’m pretty sure the THC interface box between the plasma cutter and the electronics box on the table is just a shunt.

This really doesn’t help your trouble. But the TD 60i has had nothing but trouble with the PCB’s from the time Esab started making them.

Houston…We have a solution!!!

With the help of Thermal Dynamics Tech support (Ana & Gene) over the past few days I have a working system. The 60i(X) is a very capable machine and with a simple wiring modification works very well on the Crossfire XR table. The 60i has a live voltage at the torch tip of 10-15 volts until the trigger is activated…this is for the pilot arc. This is normal and not a malfunction in this plasma cutter. Fire Control/THC is seeing this live voltage and it causes a delay in firing the torch when the program is started resulting in a fault which stops the program and reports it as an error. The work around I’ve figured out will only work with the Automation Interface card installed in the 60i(which basically makes it a 60iX). It has an “OK to Move” relay in it that tells the torch circuit it’s OK to fire and move. The plug going in to the J1 outlet(14 pin I/O port on the Automation Interface card) is where the wiring modification is done. Pins 3 & 4 are torch trigger, pins 5 & 6 are divided voltage and pins 12 & 14 are “OK to Move” relay. To make the 60iX work right with the THC, Pin 5(DV-) is connected to pin 12 and pin 14 is connected to the VIM DV- input. This disconnects the live voltage to the THC until the torch is triggered by Fire Control. However, This solution DOES NOT work if using raw voltage to the VIM. The “OK to Move” relay is only rated for 30 volt ac/dc 1 amp MAX. I will draw a schematic up and post it later but I don’t have it done yet to add here now.

2 Likes

I still need to do a little minor tweaking but It’s working like a dream! I’m tickled pink! :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a beast. Makes me wish I had the room.

And was retired so I’d have the time. :slight_smile:

@TnT Did you get your TD working with the THC?

No I haven’t yet. Have you had any luck?

While hunting around I did find this plasmaspider post from 2018 where they’re trying to figure out the same thing.

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=26813

Thank you I will look it over.

Yes I’ve got mine working but not with raw voltage. See my post above. It explains how I did it with CNC card installed and the Hypertherm plug n play cable Langmuir sells. It works like a charm!

I just got my 60i automation card and cord installed and was able to do my first cuts on my PRO with the IHS but the THC test is not working. No voltage. I have the pins connected per your previous post. My question is, do I need to do something with the plate contact pins? Am I missing something obvious? Any help is appreciated.

The only mod I did was to route the divided voltage thru the OK to Move relay. Did you verify the Automation Interface card is set to 50:1 output? It should be by default but it’s possible the dip switch is not set right.

Got it working! Bad connection on the divided voltage wire! Thank you!

1 Like

Good to hear. Have fun burning metal!

Thanks for the info, just to confirm. If wired correctly, there should be continuity between pins 12 and 14 while the torch is on?

Correct. And Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. 12 & 14 are not continuous during cutting and so I am not getting a voltage output through pins 14 & 6. Makes me think my “Ok to move” relay is bad. Do you have any suggestions and if not I am wondering how you got in contact with Thermal Dynamics.