The Borrowed Idea Build

Incredible documentation and amazing ideas and mods you have done…thank you for sharing with us.

As the ever pessimist I do have some concerns on your mods.

• your electrical is not any type of sealed components I would be a little concerned about water getting into the boxes and causing a short…
  • your plasma machine sits right under the most possible leak location on the table…a glued seam.
  • your plasma unit is sideways…so unless you plan to roll out the plasma unit all the time you might find it a bit of hinderance trying to adjust your amps on the torch when you need to fine tune the cutting.

but overall…nice work

Your welding work looks great…I am no where near a great welder but I did bolt my 2 water pans together, no caulking or sealant, added 1/4" water to each pan then used my TIG to fuse the standing seam between the pans…no warp…no leaks…no warping.

As for our plasma unit I would greatly consider putting a drip shield under the table to protect the plasma unit…

2 Likes

Earit and TinWhisperer – Thanks for your thoughts on the coupler issue. Looks I’ll be tearing into that next.

Toolboy – Thanks for the feedback!
• I am also concerned about the water/electrical combo (never a good thing, right?) and will certainly be keeping a close eye on it. Tucked up under the table frame I’m thinking (hoping) any splashing will not travel inside and then back up to get into those areas.
• So aside from being able to freely roll it around the shop, another benefit of the plasma cutter cart address a concern I’ve read about here, which is the electromagnetic interference that sometimes causes havoc with the control box. Maybe not as much with the Hypertherm, but still… I was planning on running the table with the cutter moved out from underneath and as far away as possible from the control box that the cables/cords allow (second to last pic as a demonstration, not stretched out all the way). It’s really only going to be under the table when not in operation, thus allowing me to store it in the same footprint as the table. Square footage in the shop is valuable, and all that.
• If the magic 3M sealant ends up being not so magical - I’ll probably try autogenous tig welding of the pan with your water trick to minimize warpage. A drip pan seems like more of a band-aid than a cure and I really don’t want any leaks or wetness under the table period. Having zero experience in this, viability of that remains to be seen. I have some ideas kicking around about splash shields, but I’d like to see how much of an issue it will actually be before tackling that.

Again, I appreciate your input!

1 Like

@Stormcrow …hey Todd…when you need to direct something at someone in the forum…you start with @ then type the name of the person…the forum will actually autofill some names for you…like I did for you…

As for your electrical…it is not the splashing I am worried about…but the way water can travel along and edge under a pan and find a place to drip to…open electrical boxes…

My saying in life …the two most destructive forces known to nature both start with a W…water and…Women…wtaer can destroy a mountain…and men have had to move mountains for women…wars have been fought over water and Women…"

I do like the fact you can pull out the plasma and roll it around…I really like that.

1 Like

I am brand new with my table and still figuring out what goes where. I was really surprised with all of the water that occasionally splashes out especially when the torch is doing its cool down over the water bed without any metal resisting the air after the cut is finished. But I love your creativity and skill. I too need this table to be mobile as I move it all over the place: it performs where my car is usually parked. My solution was less sophisticated and much less strength. I welded 3/16" plates to the bottom of the legs. I might consider you method if I add the water/fluid circulation system. Really love your StarTrek docking station for the plasma cutter cart.

1 Like

@toolboy you gave me a chuckle about the most destructive/powerful things: Water, women, wars…I know it doesn’t start with a “W” but many of us have stories about grandchildren. When you are parents, you usually don’t own many things of value and/or you are conditioned to store your stuff out of harms way. When you are grandparents, you get used to your “stuff” being available. Love them with all my heart.

1 Like

need women for children and grandchildren…

heheheheh

2 Likes

First off: @Stormcrow , I don’t want to hijack your thread but I really like many of your ideas. I tried to find another thread that would have people share what works and doesn’t work with their “builds.” I thought your “borrowed idea build” seemed most apropo.
My thoughts/experiments:
I would like to experiment with increasing my USB cable but my set up is currently working.
I think it might have been @jamesdhatch (on another thread) that said he used a removable pin with the laptop stand: outstanding idea. I did not have a long enough pin. It would require 1/4" x 5" pin to work nicely. But, I found that I could put 2 bolts secured with nuts (both pointing down) and it works great.
I may regret part of my hygiene with the water but I am just using it until it needs to be changed. No filtration, no draining. I have added 8 oz of washing soda for limiting corrosion and about 3 oz of Physan for killing growth of stuff.
When not being used, I put a 1/4" plywood board (coated both sides with spar urethane) over the slats and this becomes the place to store the cutter, cables and laptop stand.
And I was initially disappointed with spending the extra for a machine torch as I already was forced to buy a laptop just for this setup. No money left for outfitting the build anymore. At some point, enough is enough, BUT!!! I love the simpicity of the machine torch.

1 Like

@toolboy - I’ll give this “at” thing a try, thanks! I always type everything out in a Word document first, and then cut/paste it to the forums. I just find it easier to put it down in writing here first, versus directly inputting into the various forum formats. The water/electric thing does weigh on me a bit, I might need to spend money on some of those Liquidtight fittings and weatherproof boxes. Shouldn’t be too much work to swap out the components.

@ChelanJim – No worries about any hijacking, your comments and input is appreciated! The extra shelf space was a must for me, so the casters on the shelf versus straight to the leg is where I went. Your set-up looks clean though, and I’m sure works great. I like those leveler/wheel combo units, everything I’ve read says they work pretty good. I’ve mounted my computer to the table (you’ll see below) and so far no issues. I went with SterlingCool Plasma Cut for my table. I’m sure the DIY recipes work just fine, I just wanted something I didn’t have to worry about and was designed for this work. Time will tell how it holds up without a bunch of filtration and I’ve had good results with the fish bubbler on keeping any growth at bay. I like the plywood covering the table. In my shop everything gets dirty. Between large gaps under the doors, open soffits up top, and living next to the desert…it doesn’t take long for everything to acquire a layer of dirt/dust. So even when the table is drained it will get some accumulated dirt unless otherwise addressed. I’ve already talked to my better half and she said she might be able to make some sort of cover that goes over the whole table. Kind of like a fitted sheet-tent thing. Maybe even cut/sewn from an old sheet?

So took the Z motor off and it works just fine, the coupler must be the culprit. I spun it 180° and re-installed, thinking there might be a very slim chance it would work that way. Can’t hurt to try, right? Was only able to get one of the screws tight this time, as two more stripped out after just a small amount of torque was applied to them. Aluminum… So back to the forum and used the search feature to find replacement couplers off Amazon. (the one on the left)

Ordered four of them, just in case and considering it’s not the only coupler on the table. Installed and the Z-axis now functional again.

Ran the break-in program and then made a quick series of shapes to do some test cuts on. Ran that through as a Dry Run only multiple times and the machine was acting wonky (technical term). X and Y run-aways like you were holding the button down, program stopping mid-stream, etc. Seemed more EM/software rather than mechanical. Went back through all the Langmuir literature again and noticed that in the THC user guide they had a picture of the Voltage Input Module (VIM) mounted to the plasma cutter. For convenience I had temporarily mounted mine to the table right next to the electronics enclosure box. I pulled the VIM off the table and stretched it out as far as the cable would allow and tried running it again. It ran through multiple programs and movements without a hiccup.

Time to make the first cuts! Sample shapes out of .070 aluminum.

Seems good to me, time to cut out a real part.

Bracket and lasers installed

I saw this somewhere here, but can’t remember who to give the credit to. Ran the power wires through one of the table tubes and installed a switch in the end-cap. Powering the lasers from a cut-up 5v charger found in the “charger and cable” drawer. Everyone has one of those, right?

Some fun stuff out of .125” steel.

2 Likes

Next I used the Straight Cut function to get a rectangular piece of aluminum to size. Bent up on the press brake and drilled holes for mounting.

A little rattle-can paint job and mounted to the table. The computer has a new home.

Here’s the set-up, ready to run.

Oh, after refilling the pan up for the second time it started to leak. In two places. One is at the van stone flange, evidently I monkey fisted tightening it and cracked the plastic threads. Fortunately it’s dripping right over the tote lid, which then drains back into the tote, so not a big deal for now while the replacement flange is on order. The second is a slow-drip from the back of the pan, right at the mating seam. I gooped some more sealant across the whole thing and am crossing my fingers while it cures.

Had to do it all over again I think I would have just done the dimple-die mod with the kitchen drains and tig welded the pan seam. At least I can still (attempt to) weld the pan seam if it continues to leak.

2 Likes

nice work…you got it now…

Another idea to borrow you will not regret…my simple indexing jig.

I’m using it again today to cut a 45"x45" complex piece, but it stays on all the time as a great alignment tool.

1 Like

Love your laser set-up. Btw, I have already abandoned my home brew and just filled my table with SterlingCool this weekend. My mixture was foaming too much and I did not like the white deposits on the table. I am looking forward to see how the SterlingCool makes the hot debris turn into bb’s (or so I read). Just ordered more metal - had to take out a loan from the boss. She said it is my Father’s Day gift. I was hoping to get a 20 ton press from HarborFreight for Father’s Day. Oh well.

1 Like

@Jpep – The indexing thing is something I will probably end up borrowing at some point. Right now I’m still cutting my teeth on smaller stuff. Thank you for the link and recommendation!

@ChelanJim – Thanks, but that laser idea was borrowed from Mr. Jpep, so all credit goes to him. I am digging the functionality of it, though!

I hear you on the metal costs. I recently picked up 40’ of .125” wall 2” square tube for another project and thought I’d throw in a half-sheet of .125” sheet with the order. Total cost came to over $400! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I just took home the square tube (still $200+). I’ll use up some of my scrap pieces for now before taking out a second mortgage to afford new plate.

I put together my HF press a few years ago (sheesh, where does time go?). Did the standard mods – grade 8 bolts, casters, air over hydraulic with foot pedal, and hand-crank winch for the table.

The SWAG press brake is also a worthwhile investment, in my opinion:

Just used it this past weekend on another Borrowed Idea – the table scoop:

Now I am salivating for that hydraulic press: why did you go and add to my pain!!! :sweat_smile:
As for the metal prices, I am getting a 4x8 sheet of 12 gauge steel for $260.75 and a sheet of 10 guage for $338.25. I suspect we are looking at this leaping in price in the coming months. Plus there will be tax.

For Father’s Day you can take a loan out from the boss for your Birthday or Christmas present :laughing:

Definitely! Also, add in a set of the gooseneck dies and you can bend an awful lot of complex shapes that the standard fingers won’t let you make because they get in the way.

This topic is not over yet. Don’t count out my stamina for a tool! The boss is just shaking her head. I will have to research the gooseneck dies. Not familiar with that item.
Update: Researched it. Now I need it! You people are not helping at all.

Check the SWAG Offroad website you’ll find them. They are shaped like beckoning fingers. You will need to do some welding to set them up. They come in a few sheets of a half-dozen fingers. You cut through the sprue that holds the individual fingers together and then weld them into 2, 3, 4, etc groups so you get the different overall finger widths you’ll want. The bend in the fingers lets you bend more acutely than the standard flat ones will because you won’t bump into the vertical finger plate as quickly.

@jamesdhatch Totally cool idea (gooseneck dies)…still no good without the press. Baby steps here.

@ChelanJim - I’m just fueling the fire for the desire. :wink: Fortunately my better half is really good with my man-logic on why I NEED more tools. Usually because it means I’m either fixing something she broke, making something for her, or saving money on DIY repairs/projects around the house.

@jamesdhatch - I had seen those dies when I got their finger brake kit, but it was probably an added expense I couldn’t justify at the time. Now that I’ve had the brake for a while and used it some, there have been several occasions where those gooseneck dies would have been a better solution. I think I’ll have to work those into the budget soon. Thanks!

2 Likes