Stainless 14 gauge line cut. Text at business card size

Made my first attempts at stainless steel langmuir pro today.

14 gauge #4 304 stainless.

I’m using a single line font from fusion 360.
Stencilified the text after I exploded it.

The outer dimension is 2 in x 3.5 in.

I used a fine-cut consumable pack @ 45amps which gave me a .036 kerf. the setting straight are from hypertherm’s cut chart.

Pretty happy with the results.

may try the low speed fine-cut next weekend.

3 Likes

Our website is still a dead link.

you are on fire with your cuts these days…!!!

1 Like

Are you using air or argon for stainless, argon is even cleaner with next to no cleanup. They do have special gas mixes for stainless but they aren’t cheap…

@bjohns0n
I have not used argon yet.
This is just compressed air.
I would like to see less clean up, I should try some argon.

I just looked it up quick in the hypertherm manual the f5 gas that would be neat to try.

It cites this application document

hypertherm 809060

F5 stainless cutting charts

I found this little quote about f5 on the internet.

What is f5 plasma gas?
F5 (5% hydrogen 95% nitrogen) is used primarily for cutting stainless steel. F5 provides fast, oxide-free cuts, however the hydrogen gas introduces a lot of heat into the material.

The only reference I can find to argon being used with the plasma torch is with marking on the hypertherm 45xp.

The three gases that I can find hypertherm using and having cut charts for are

compressed air
nitrogen
f5 hydrogen nitrogen mix.

wonder what f5 is worth?
I’m going to check tomorrow at my local supplier.

With doing the 14 gauge according to their recommendations I wouldn’t be able to use the fine cut consumables and it’s smaller than the 1/4" recommended with using f5

I would like to see how dialed I can get these cards. Some experimenting is in order.

According to the 45 XP service manual.

The dross is the same with F5 and air.

I found this clip and article at esab site while researching water table solutions for my pro

Submerged plasma cutting.

Submerged plasma cutting video

I think the submersion tables likely help with distortion more than they do the oxidization.

Maybe somebody’s doing some immersion and different gas?

I have a few unfinished stainless business cards at the shop I could post a picture so you can see what kind of dross I get with air.

A little peek behind the scenes. Ugly…

Some shots of a straight off the table stainless business card.
No clean up at all.
Running dry compressed air at hypertherm 85 book settings.
finecut consumables at regular speed.

You can see on the first pierce which is the f of fourthstate.ca there’s more of a divot.the delay was set for about 25% more before I could dial it back in fire control.

1 Like

Canadian quarter…converts to 18.5 cents USD.

those are pretty fine letters to cut

1 Like

Had this comment on my Instagram post of this card.

I had pretty good laugh.

I thought about commenting back.

“How big of a fiber laser do you think I should get?”

Hey Tinwhisperer, I was curious where you got thar single line font? I’ve been want to give it a try.

1 Like

Range of single line fonts are available in the text insertion tool for Fusion 360.

I think it’s a *.shx file extension.

1 Like

Don’t use Fusion360, thanks for the reply.

@crash

Richard, there’s a bunch here… They are on the Lightburn forum… I think it’s OK to go and grab them… You have to look through all of them, some are not useful…

2 Likes

That’s an awesome link, thank you. I’m going to use that to bolster my font inventory in fusion360

Thanks Bill.