Sketch to SVG. Shaper TRACE

did not realize it was going to have this feature…bonus!

Edit: My mistake. I did not know what “Designing for Origin” was and ASSUMED “Shaper” support meant the Shaper “Trace” product…nevermind…(head bowed in shame) :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

That’s listed in the category ‘Designing for Origin’, which is a totally different device.

According to the review that @Gogo linked, the Shaper Utilities MIGHT be an extra cost item. I don’t know, one way or the other, but, until I get official links for Tracer, I wouldn’t assume anything.

1 Like

Yes. I see.

I did read that upcharge for the full editor version. I was hoping we would get by without a subscription charge for using software, especially when we are strictly hobbyist. Hopefully, the lite version is sufficient to get the SVG to Fusion or whatever program one uses.

I think it will work how I needed since it does list this in the FAQ section:

Yes, that’s what the Review pointed out, but the Shaper Utilities is a different tool. As you say, it was mentioned that Tracer includes the Lite version. Does the Lite version work with the Fusion 360 add on? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe they will feel more generous since they got 10 times the money they were looking for and will allow greater access: At least for those of us on this first wave of purchases.

Not holding my breath as there are probably a few in their ranks that were looking to buy a new Toyota Truck if the deal went thru. But now, they have their sights on a new vacation home in Maui with the money.

While I fully expect Shaper to change their business model based on the response to this KickStarter, I don’t think I’ll spend the next four months imagining them becoming a beneficent manufacturer. My expectations are what they explicitly said that they would deliver as a ‘reward’, nothing less. Anything more is gravy.

1 Like

Alright… I got onboard and pre-ordered a TRACE to play around with… In my spare time, I’m wondering what does one do if the item you’d like to “trace” is bigger than the frame itself?? I’m sure we can come up with something… Any thoughts on this gang?

I am hoping they have a “splicing” feature in the app. But Tom is saying I am too hopeful.

Meanwhile, I will leave you with this image:

3 Likes

Let’s not ‘hope’. Let’s analyze. What is the claim of this device? That it ACCURATELY converts lines falling within the Trace border into 1:1 Vectors. Now, if you have a sketch that is larger than the border and take multiple ‘snaps’ of that sketch, moving the border an arbitrary amount, but less than the border size, what do you end up with? Several SVGs that are accurately captured, but skewed and offset from each other. If you organize those individual SVGs in generally the same orientation as the original, then it would take fairly simple, (Let’s call it Lite) software to stitch those SVGs together into one.

Wouldn’t you say? Mr. Scrooge McDuck?

3 Likes

Say perhaps, as simple as “snapping” in Inkscape?

With a line that is identified as a “construction line,” one could easily orient all of those SVGs. You are a genius! Now I am even more hopeful! :star_struck:

I did a pair of Traces. Either give one to my Dad or a friend. So why can’t we just make a
larger frame ourselves with matching dot pattern. Do it so the software generates an exact percentage, 50% size and just size up in your choice of software. I can’t create software, but I can accurately make a simple frame and dots at 200% for larger drawings. Seems pretty basic.

2 Likes

Well, got my request for shipping info today and was pleasantly surprised that I could add MORE Trace units to my order! I added one more for gifting. Probably should have ordered two, but I need to confirm it works well enough before I go crazy with this!

4 Likes

Oh, you shouldn’t have. I already ordered one for myself. :rofl:

3 Likes

" We estimate that we’ll get through this entire backer queue in a few weeks."
Good news on the shipping! This is how it should be!

2 Likes

As of today, they still have 17 more “Early Bird” specials available. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I was worried I was going to miss out when I got on and it said only 5 left of 1200…. Then I refreshed and it said only 45 left of 1250… an hour or so later only 24 left of 1350… and so on and so on…

They got me :clap:t2::wink:

2 Likes

I am excited to get it and tinker with it. I was hoping with the big early response the deliveries would be a little early.

1 Like

Yes. Me too. I did a couple brackets recently and this would have been great to have.

And yes, the early bird thing seems to have become a perpetual sale!

3 Likes

It does seem they are gaming the system. However, in my case, I was glad that I could order a second one as a gift for that special someone, right Erik? :wink:

2 Likes