Sketch to SVG. Shaper TRACE

This device is so you can draw and change that directly into a SVG!
Sounds amazing and super useful for us.

KickStarter is up on June 22nd so you should be able to snag a discount there

Trace_Logo

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. That looks very cool.

I hope all of you guys don’t copy me…because I plan to make a chisel. First thing!

Deleted by some guy too early in the morning with too little coffee

So what I get out of this is that it’s a visually coded frame that you put around your own sketch, take a photo with your phone and their app (presumably), and it will generate an SVG of the sketch inside the frame??

Should be high profit margins on something like that!

1 Like

Under 100 $ with no subscription.

This device seems like such a perfect pairing with the Langmuir.

Especially for somebody with less computer skills or is just more comfortable drawing by hand.

Here’s a product video and some screenshots.

I don’t even have one yet but I already want one with a bigger frame :joy:.

I guess draw smaller and take advantage of the scalable part of scalable vector graphic.

1 Like

Of course you do! And you’ll want all the manuals too! And you’re already planning the Twitch videos on how to build your own Skid Steer loader using this and a CrossFire system (using Fusion 360, of course!).

7 Likes

I do see this being a great time saver especially for brackets. For art, maybe not so much.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Then I thought, maybe you can somehow, piece together an image with multiple pictures and moving the frame.

I recently bought some pens similar to the ones being used in the video. There are great.
Multi-Purpose Deep Hole Marker Pens Deep Drill Hole Long Nib Marker Waterproof Deep Hole Marker Pens Colorful Carpenter Pen for Bathroom Woodworking, Red Black Blue (20 mm,30 mm, Simple Style) Amazon.com

3 Likes

Those pens are incredible! How do they stand up to writing on wood? Typically they get grungy quickly and don’t work as well afterward.

I don’t press hard but not soft either and the marking is an intense thin mark. They are a felt tip marker but the tip is hard and has not seemed to show any wear or flattening.

They are my go-to marker on wood now. I have used on metal but anything less than white or yellow does not really show up well on mild steel. They would work well on aluminum and stainless.

I did a demonstration for you. You will notice that the 1st and 3rd lines are relatively thin and were made with a typical speed when marking with a pencil. Apparently the wood grain was tighter in that direction. Then when I did the 2nd line, it bled more. For the 4th line, it was drawn at a very quick clip.

Since it is a felt tip, it is more likely to bleed and spread the longer the tip is in contact. But that also lends to its ability to make an intense line. Trade-offs, as you know. And, this is the only pen from the set I have used and have used it about 15 different times over the last month. As you see, the tip looks great.

3 Likes

Those are nice markers. I added some to my cart.

goldilocks zone…

My goto marker on wood is a pencil. The flat ones that are free at the lumberyard.

You can shave down the outside part way down the pencil if you want stick out for marker in a small deep space.

in all honesty try to my use a Staedtler MARS-730 pencil from the office at work but the flat pencil ends up in my hand most of the time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Staedtler-Mechanical-Pencil-Sketching-Sharpener/dp/B013XBQKRO/ref=asc_df_B013XBQKRO/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335241474213&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13117327549417433742&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1001889&hvtargid=pla-393438254295&psc=1

61jeQpCgYeL.AC_SY355

2 Likes

The ones @ChelanJim suggested should be good when you’re tracing a relatively deep hole. I sometimes use the MARS type pencil but the lead breaks too easily on rough cut wood. I use the carpenter’s pencil when I’m marking hatches on faces to be jointed or planed so I can monitor the progress.

2 Likes

Those are NICE pencils!!!

I have gone full circle with the carpenter pencil issue starting first with mechanical pencils with 0.5mm lead. Too small and brittle.

I tried the flat pencils and really thought I was going make it work but never found a reasonable sharpener. And the Hansen flat pencil sharpener that is suppose to make a round pencil shape?! Forget about it. This picture shows my third attempt this morning and it is still not a pencil tip that is satisfactory.

That lead (implied) my search to large round, carpenter pencils. I found this red one on ebay. It is softer lead that gives an easy to see pencil line. It doesn’t break easily but being soft, it gets a round point rather quickly. For most wood working, it still use this red pencil but for quick projects I have been turning to the new marker with the longer nib. That is, when it is a project that is not going to need a cabinet grade finish. The red pencil is far too big to get into small spaces.

1 Like

olfa knife

I use a knife.

some of the the flat pencils have crappy lead for sure.

The lead for the MARS-780 I linked above is 2mm lead you can buy them in all kinds of hardess and colours

2 Likes

does anyone know why carpenter pencils are flate and not rount?..
I know the answer…many do not…

1 Like

I suspect that it is not related to the direction of the butt crack you would see in most carpenters when they bend over on a job.

My guess is that it’s easy to ‘sharpen’ with a simple knife.

It is so they don’t roll off the table??

Another guess is that the thickness and width related to some consistent measurement in the building trade. The one dimension is about 3/8" and the other is about 9/16". I had a friend that installed windows and always used the carpenter pencils as his distance/allowances on the bottom of the window to the sill.

1 Like

JIM is bang on!!!

yes it is designed to be non-rolling…put it down and it stays there…

and right again on the dimensions…1/4" x 1/2"…

well done!!!

@TomWS cracks another joke…

mostly I resemble that remark…

I actually went on the information taught to me about 45 years ago by my father in law. He was a tool designer by trade with Sylvania. He said the the flat hexagonal shaped pencils were an advent for draftsmen to stop their pencils from rolling off the table. He added, round pencils were easier to make but the flats on the pencil won out for most all other pencils. Their drafting tables were generally sloped by design.

Don’t know if that was true but it had elements of reasoning.

These are the old school type of drafting/art pencils that are non-rolling that I use.

This style and the other mechanical style pencil I ve used have a clothes clip on it which stops rolling.

But for drawing on dimensional lumber the carpenters pencil is the way to go.

3 Likes

These are similar to the Pica deep hole markers that I’ve seen a lot of YouTube makers recommend.

Never tried them myself, so can’t say if they’re as good as all that.

But I did find that they have a pencil variant that might be interesting to try.

1 Like