Sketch to SVG. Shaper TRACE

I just realized my order was held up because they expected me to log on again and give address and credit card for shipping and tax. So who knows where this puts me in the queue.

I just don’t check emails to the account we give to advertisers. Oh well, still have wood to split.

I use the flatbed scanner in my office a lot and I lay a ruler on there by the Part or flange I’m scanning so I can calibrate it.

I’m wondering if you had a backlit table and then put the part on there like you did for the white paper if it would cancel out the Shadow and give you a little bit more of a correct measurement.

The optical illusion of part of it where you need orthographic projection but you only can get perspective in reality when trying to take a picture of it 1/4 inch part on a piece of paper instead of tracing.

I think if you’re trying to take a picture of a part directly like that having the camera is far away from it as possible and zoomed all the way in will minimize the effects of perspective. In normal operation the trace wouldn’t have to deal with it at all cuz it just cares about 2D.

It’s an interesting thing to think about, the difference in perspective vs orthographic

1 Like

I checked with my daughters LED copy board this morning and that really helped.

4 Likes

did you measure this a few times? your last pic looks like the bottom jaw on the caliper is a little skewed?
maybe its just the photo.

Length is fair at .015 but the width is .033 that seems like a lot. Wonder how close you can get it if traced.
So was it further off when not using the LED copy board?

now that would be a cool video hint hint :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had made a few in the past but they disappeared into The ether.

My videos now stay forever so I’ll definitely do one soon.

here are a few posts about it in the mean time

A flatbed scanner is a must have item!

this is a great segue into the world of flatland.

1 Like

I am updating this as I hope it helps someone else. Their Trace register webpage is sized for larger phones with no scrolling. I called Shaper and talked with a customer rep and let him know. Only workaround was to turn the phone sideways and it put the blue Register button to the right side.

If you use a smaller screen phone, I have an iPhone 2020 SE, then you will get truncated webpages in the setup process, this was in both Chrome and Safari on the phone. I really hate the large phones and hate more that companies think everyone only uses the large phones.

(Ok, what gives, page doesn’t scroll, no more information. How the hell do you register your Trace?

I have intentionally cropped bottom of screenshot off with name and email.

Already annoyed with this product and company.)

1 Like

Use your phone camera to take picture of QR code on back of it. That should allow you to register it.

@DonP To get to that point required clicking the blue Register button, then it was able to scan the code (again) mind you because I scanned the code to start the process originally. Phone size is an issue.

The product works now. Shaper rep said they tried many phones in the development stage, not really I guess.

1 Like

Sorry I have iPhone 13…SE was last phone but upgraded a year ago.

Actually that is one of my Mantras, but, in this case, it was pure luck. When they said they’d be shipping early, I was nervous that they’d ship before I was able to get home. This is like ideal!

2 Likes

I always like the one

" when life gives you sh!t, make sh!tade"

1 Like

Must be something they say in the north country and, well, frankly, shitade doesn’t sound all that great :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
although I do like, “If you have to shovel sh!t, you might as well find a way to make it fun.”

4 Likes

LOL…yep, thinking the same thing. :rofl:

It pairs nice with a sh!t sandwich :sandwich: Blue collar tradesmans get a taste early on in their careers.

3 Likes

Just got the shipping notification, @DonP …was it a fast donkey? I am hoping it makes it to my house by Friday so a can experiment with it this weekend.

It did arrive 2 days sooner than the expected date.

The saying goes something like…“Life is a sh!t sandwich, and every day is another bite” !

1 Like

The best way to eat a sh!t sandwich is with a grin on your face.

:sandwich: :grin:

2 Likes

I 3D printed a version at 50% on my Bambu Lab X1C with AMS. The small frame works great and certainly captures more detail than using the Trace frame with small objects. I put the SVG files into photoshop and found my smaller frame requires reducing the image files exactly to 49% when overlayed to match the standard frame files. I have a 1064nm laser, I may try etching the dots on a blank PLA frame.

Small frame left, more detail - full frame right, less detail:

Next is to make a 200% version …

6 Likes