Question about using casters

I want to put my CrossFirePro on casters but use a higher quality caster. I selected 4 Workbench Retractable Leveling Swivel Casters Heavy Duty 2205lbs 2.5" GD80F on eBay.

I like these for the plate mounting rather than the center hole stud others use.
I want to see if I can find a tube that will fit inside the leg. I will weld top plates that match the size and bolt hole pattern of the casters. That assembly can then be inserted and fastened from the outside of the machine legs on four sides.
My question is, what are the inside tube dimensions of the CFP machine legs?

1 Like

I have very similar feet…and I like your idea of welding them to an insert…I presently have mine on nylon inserts in the bottom of the leg…and will modify them once I build my garage.
the only problem is these are a pain to level all the time…and the level amount is small.
so check the area you move around in and see if they have enough adjustment…mine do not at this point as my floor has to much of a slope.

do a search for “casters” you will find alot of options and most likely to size

1 Like

Also, add bottom braces to the legs, so they can’t bend at all. Doubles as a shelf.

1 Like

I have a bottom full shelf I built and installed so I agree with Mr. Fox…but I saw someone add these to the table…and I may do the same during my garage renovation for ease of rolling and leveling…
a little f-ugly…but easy to do and remove later

1 Like

I don’t know if level is what we a shooting for. I think it might be more important that there is no twist caused by one leg having upward or downward pressure. If the machine is in a relaxed position, but lower on one end due to the slope of the surface it is sitting on, the stepper might need to work a little harder, but there wouldn’t be any binding in the movement of the carriage. Level is the term used but I think it is more accurate to think of it as level to itself. Make the X axis level to the Y axis is more what we want.
Hass uses a three point leveling scheme on some of their mills. Its natural to think they are rigid enough to where they couldn’t flex, but they do. But of course we are talking tens of a thousands in the machining world, plus they are running on high precision linear actuators that won’t tolerate anything other than flat, parallel and square. I suspect the CF table will tolerate a lot of not perfect. In my opinion, the expensive machines have gone way overboard with the precision motion control designs. CNC turret punching machines have to be carefully leveled in relation to front and side because the punch must enter the die very precisely. A plasma table does not have that demand.

There’s a file on fireshare that someone made for this. It’s a plate the casters bolt to and 2 more flat plates welded into a “X” that fits inside the leg tube.

3 Likes

I dropped my table down onto a sub-structure with a shelf unit and casters

11 Likes

I made a full cart with casters and leveling bolts. I have the casters you bought on my moving woodworking table and they work great. I built the cart to raise the height of the table. I am 6’5" and needed it higher. The legs slip into the cart and the + is I built it with a shelf for my water recycle system. Had plasma under also but got too wet so mounted it to the wall.

3 Likes

did not read whole post . Did just what num1 husker did. set pins in substructure legs to adjust height if necessary.

dude…that is one serious looking set-up…I am so pissed…

• touch screen on thetable
  • UPS power
  • double shelf
  • emergency stop
  • tractor feeds
  • refrigerated air dryer
  • and many other things you can not see…

it is soooooo clean also…

nice work!!!

3 Likes

That is an excellent idea. The shelf underneath is especially attractive to me because I’m already out of space. I’m also a fan of having most everything on wheels. I made a rolling stand for my bead roller yesterday. I would finish painting it today, but there is no sun in sunny Southern California, and it rained where it never rains!

3 Likes

Beautiful setup, there is a post here somewhere about using casters! It basically said that you should find where you will be using the table most of the time and mark where the casters are on the floor. This way when you roll it out it will be already level from the initial leveling. Concrete floors are not flat, it may be level from side to side and front to back, but not flat.
One thing! All that beautiful work and no guards on the Ball Screws. But GREAT WORK!!

2 Likes

Here are the the items I ordered from McMaster Carr. They are a little pricey but well made and the inserts makes it an easy installation.

https://www.mcmaster.com/2445T61 Threaded-Stem Leveling Caster, M12 Thread x 7/8" Long Stem and 2" Diameter Wheel

https://www.mcmaster.com/60945K81 High-Capacity Leveling Mount Insert for Tubular Legs for 2" Outer and 1-13/16" Inner Square, M12 x 1.75 mm Thread

3 Likes

Did you measure the legs to verify that the tubes are .120" wall? That’s the spec called out in the M12 adapter you linked to. For some reason I was thinking they were .105" wall.

The actual wall thickness is 0.12 and when I received them they fit on perfectly.

1 Like

Good deal. Not sure why I was thinking .105 wall.

.010 total clearance makes a nice fit.

@num1husker ok, that is a bad ass set up. Can I say that on here? Maybe you should be selling upgrades!

Sweet Setup. Nice work !

That is real nice, that is how I would like to set my table up. I didn’t even think it was feasible to put the table on casters, as I was under the assumption that it need to be set up in one spot and left alone. Glad I happened on this topic, one question, how does he adjust the table height ( level it out ) as the casters are non adjustable?

1 Like