Pro Water table fluid management

whoa! thanks

There are some pretty elaborate drain setups in this thread. Although I am envious, I decided to go the simple route for now as a compromise in efforts to get up and cutting finally (received my pro table mid batch 2… yikes) Anyway, here are a few pictures of the simplest and fastest drain setup i could come up with - black iron pipe and a hose bib… I also threw in a few pics of my table airline setup. Again, simple, but effective. Lets see if I get these pics posted correctly…

6 Likes

My drains are pvc but identical. Works well. I use a short hose and drain into 5 gallon buckets.

What fitting did you use to replace the drain plug? I have a pex tool and this looks simple to do on my first table.

Hey Mike.

On my setup I changed out the supplied 1/4 plug with a 1/4 nipple. Then necked it up with a 1/4 -1/2 bushing. Then a 1/2 to Pex adapter. Everything is in the same plumbing isle.

It has plugged up after a lot of cutting. (I don’t use any filtering device.) It cleans out easy with a small magnetic pickup tool. Slide it down from the top and pull out the slag bb’s.

My take on water management. 5gal bucket will catch metal that doesn’t get caught by sink drain basket. One way flapper valve will close when a couple of pounds of air is applied to fluid in yellow barrel. Using low pressure regulator 0-30psi and adjustable orffice to keep from shocking tank with initial pressure. Easy disconnect unions to allow 5gal bucket to be dump or replaced. Steel clamp to hold lid on the bucket. Height and drain pipes will need shortening once table is together.

Close the drain valve when filling. Water will fill back thru 50micron filter to drain tee with 3/4 hose .

1 Like

Pipe size is a little overkill. But i had some of the pieces on hand. Still need to add close able vent valve to yellow tank.

3 Likes

Lotta info here. Ya’ll have pretty elaborate plumbing systems. Anyone though about using a thru hull fitting like you would use on a boat? they come in different sizes and materials, and are made not to leak.

boat parts are always expensive…boat…bring out another thousand…

I used a standard kitchen sink stainless steel drain…has never leaked…easy to install and plumb to…and cheap…and you can add a stainless strainer to it easy…

and it is so close to flush it works great

2 Likes

Boat (bankruptcy on a trailer) Sorry couldn’t help myself…haha

4 Likes

never heard that one…

I never would have thought of vacuuming the particulates from the table after they dry… here I’ve been scraping them out with a putty knife :joy::rofl::sob:

how do you get the “clean” water back out of the salvage drum? I guess maybe I don’t understand how salvage drums work?

trying to manage wastewater as simple and low-cost as possible, as I only use the table about once a week, and it doesn’t feel right just dumping the water outside :zipper_mouth_face: can’t keep the water in the table as my shop dehumidifier works hard enough already…

I get the water out by bailing with a bucket (or pumping with a $10 drill pump). Once it’s down to 3-4 gallons or so, I just pick it up and tip slowly into the water table, leaving the junk at the bottom. It’s a 1-2 minute process.

1 Like

I’m going through your pictures and I see differences in them. I’m trying to blueprint them out but in one pic there’s a tee and the other, there isn’t!!! I’m so confused

Why do your return pumps tie in with your drain pipes and in one picture the top left port goes somewhere and then the next it’s tied in again with the drain!!! I’d love to know what you’ve done because I’m just getting ready to plumb mine in!!!

If I do say so myself, my coolant system is super simple, super convenient and super effective. One year now, running on same DIY additive, just top-up with tap water from time to time to recover from evaporation. Really no need to go crazy with filtration systems and expensive pumps, etc. :smile:

I sealed the drains provided and bought a 12 gallon shop vac and a pump for about 120 at home depot. Need 2 five gallon buckets too. Just vacuum the water and metal out and pump the water in the buckets. All the metal settles into the bottom of the shop vac. Dump the mostly clean water back in and top off. So far so good.

1 Like

I love the simplicity of using air pressure to fill table. You need a tank that can hold about 5psi. The table gravity fills the tank from the bottom and fills the table from bottom of tank with little air pressure. No pumps to wear out, no filters to plug. I made a 4x7 sump in the table. I put about 3 layers of furnace filter in it for filtration. I use a magnet to clean table and get any micro pieces of steel in filter. I don’t know what is inside the tank, but the water solution comes out fairly clean.

1 Like

If your referring to my setup. The water flows into the salvage drum thru a 1 way flapper valve, A small amount of air pressure (a few pounds ) will cause 1 way valve to seal shut putting pressure on the top of the water. It will be forced up and out of the 3/4 pvc pipe. Then thru hose to back feed into the drain pipes filling the table.

1 Like

what is the second little hose coming off your drain system for? Curiosity has me thinking it’s a way to refill table?