New Issues Creating Toolpath on F360

Hyde - CAM sketch selection.f3d (7.5 MB)
I went to manufacturing and tried to use your body and it was not cutting out the trees. And then it hung up when I tried to make my own tool path.

I then created a new setup and selected the sketch and within less than 3 minutes, created a tool path but looks like it dropped the fine lines in the tail but otherwise got most everything else.

4 Likes

I tried to do that, looking at your screen shots, but when I went down to the sketch selection tool, it wouldn’t let me select anything. Any chance you could expand on what I might be missing there, Jim?

It is a heavy file because of the many piece of geometry but like @ChelanJim I also was able to make a toolpath in about 3 minutes of processing time use the sketch instead of the body.

2 Likes

I do walk through it in the live stream (above)

1 Like

I just watched the live stream. Far out! Thank you very much for walking throught that; I’m going to try to select the sketch profile now.

1 Like

Obviously, if there is some contours already selected, you might want to clear the slate:

CAMwithSketchGeometryDropDown

Now in the next image, I am turning on the sketch visibility but that is really not necessary. If you find your sketch in the file tree and click on it, Fusion knows what to do. It took about 60 seconds to fully select the sketch to add to the tool path profile.

BTW: I tried to make a new body and create a tool path: it took forever and just added more fuel for David to promote SheetCAM. (Just teasing. I have said it numerous times “SheetCAM is a wonderful program.”)

2 Likes

Yes @TinWhisperer and @CrazyCasey, the sketch selection for manufacturing in Fusion 360 is really a leap forward. AMAZING!

And, I thank Tin for opening my eyes to that possibility.

3 Likes

Well Jim @ChelanJim and @TinWhisperer, I just did this exactly as you guys said, and I’m getting the same results that I was with the body contour method, albeit much more quickly…

It threw away 75% of the drawing, and seemingly not based on the size of the features. For example, picking up the 0.280" mounting holes on the corners, but leaving out the deer, most of the letters, and the tree line.

Ill be back to the computer in an hour post your most up to date f3d

I think I’ve figured out that any combination of factors that doesn’t make Fusion 360 throw away more than half of my design makes it freeze up. I eliminated lead in/out entirely and the tool path got up to 83.3% after about 5 minutes, but then hung there for another 15. It might eventually finish, but I let it go for hours multiple times yesterday, and it never did, and I don’t have time to wait and see.

I’m guessing that points to a hardware issue…

If I break the tool path into sections, I seem to be able to get it to generate. ***SCRATCH THAT; THAT DOESN’T WORK NOW EITHER…

Here’s the latest F3D @TinWhisperer:

Hyde.f3d (6.7 MB)

I am also having the toolpath hang at about 87.2% with your settings and I am into this toolpath for upwards of 20 minutes.

But, before that, I edited your tool path with the sketch selection vs the face contours, and
I changed your finishing overlap from 0.05 to 0.01 on this screen:

And, I changed your lead-in distance from 0.06 to 0.0 and changed lead-in radius from 0.0 to 0.01

And it worked it out in about 7 minutes with a completed tool path. It disregarded the small fish parts but similar to what I accomplish with a fresh path.

So, something in those settings are throwing it a curve. It is similar to when I was trying to get the piercing of holes near the center. With some holes, I could pick a radius of 180 degrees and it would work fine but for others it would hang. If I changed the 180 to 170, it worked fine.

1 Like

Huh, @ChelanJim. I just tried it with exactly those settings, and this is what I got:

And unfortunately I need that 0.050” overlap to get my plasma to cut clean.

Ouch!!! That sucks.

Wouldn’t you rather play a game of chess:

We need Tin-maester. (Of course that is who you were looking for all along. I just happened to be cleaning up here in the support office and saw the Bat-plasma phone ringing.)

4 Likes

Just jumping in… Could kerf size be causing F360 to drop selections?

Edit - Disregard. I just opened the F3D file.

2nd Edit - 2 Hrs later, 47% complete is all I can get with sketch selection. :frowning:

2 Likes

I know what you mean. @ds690, (or someone else with SheetCAM) would you try this DXF?
Hyde.dxf (2.0 MB)

Perhaps Casey and others are missing some update with Windows that Fusion 360 is incorporating. I have Windows 11. I believe Tin has Windows 11.

Now keep in mind, both Tin and I were able to create an acceptable g-code cut path on Fusion 360 by using the sketch selection in about 3 minutes. We were not really able to create the g-code from the body, or at least I gave up after 15 minutes.

None of our methods or suggestions are helping Casey to create the same toolpaths on his setup.

2 Likes

@ChelanJim With SheetCAM, I received 3 errors when trying the DXF. An issue regarding open paths, a problem with the drawing (upper left side trees), and a lead in problem (with the fish gills.)

This was with a .003 lead in / lead out (perpendicular) and a .054 kerf.

In other news, I’m still at 47% in F360. Perhaps it’s something n the Northern Nevada air… :frowning:

3 Likes

Thank you @ChelanJim and @Simsworx for trying,

I got it, but I had to do 5 separate 2D profiles to get there. When I tried for any more contours in a single profile than that, it would lock up on me, no matter what else I tried regarding the settings.

Fusion has been acting this way for me since the second to last update, so I’m inclined to think being on Windows 10 might have something to do with it.

But I really appreciate knowing that SheetCam struggled with it, too, because that saved me $140.

I think the open profile issues might have something to do with moving from F3D to DXF, because I can vouch that there are no open profiles. I think it’s just the amount of profiles, or edges, or whatever you want to call them.

Is there an easier way to simplify my drawings besides redrawing them? I do a lot of designs that are essentially based on adding multiple SVG’s to a sketch, and they’re always very complex.

I wish I was a better artist and could just do the stuff freehand…

4 Likes

Great job with the sign!! I want to look at it when I get a chance and watch @TinWhisperer video! I’ve been buried at work…

Sounds like we have a similar “artistic style”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have been using Inkscape to assemble items into a single SVG then import it into fusion as an svg. I have no idea if it is better or worse then doing the same in fusion importing multiple sketches. I think by nature dxfs use more computing power than an SVG. @jamesdhatch explained why in a past post I read… something about splines or something or other.

I do spend a fair amount of time tuning the file in Inkscape before I bring it into Fusion so there is certainly a more efficient way to do things then how I am doing them.

One thing about Inkscape is the simplify tool is tunable so you can decide how aggressive it is each click.

I would use fusion for everything if I knew the program better but I am still learning.

Fusion getting hung up in the wheel of death is a relatively new thing for me as well so it is likely tied to an update along the way. It used to just kick out the geometry that doesn’t fit… now it seems to crash it if there is to much of it. I have had it do that when I try to use the hole from center equation sometimes.

With the help of @ChelanJim i have been able to get around that by entering a lead in radius of 175 deg vs 180 degree… maybe not related to your issue…

Maybe I’ll pull it into Inkscape and see what it looks like. I know @brownfox does similar things in affinity design. Would be interesting to see him take a crack at it.

Maybe our next forum competition. TIN vs Brownfox!?! :+1:t2::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yeah no lol but I d really do a complimentary event like the CAD CAM Rosetta Stone project I suggested in the past.

rosettastone2

4 Likes

I had no problem generating a cut file from that drawing with Sheetcam, but there are a bunch of open lines that were not offset. I took some screenshots of a few of them.

Here is the toolpaths that were generated.

This is a few of the open path errors.

5 Likes