My CFP Build Thread

ordered some consumables… those three pairs better be worth the extra $32 and two pairs of consumables short…

2 Likes

They are. I use George’s consumables now and have been very happy with them.

1 Like

out of curiosity, are you only replacing the parts pictured above normally or the shield and plastic swirl thing too?

Normally, just the electrode and nozzle. We do have an extra swirl ring and nozzle on hand if needed. (I haven’t had to change those in quite a while.)

1 Like

I usually set the feed rate in the operation, not the machine options. I think either works though. For some cuts, may want different speeds.

I prefer to have my feed rates set by the tool defaults. (A tool defined for each material thickness.) That way the speed setting I’ve gathered apply to the material I’m cutting. There’s nothing wrong with changing your speeds when you set the operation, I just feel this is an extra step.

1 Like

I saw that George suggested to another member if it is possible that the swirl ring was subjected to an abusive amount of heat/amperage (such as using higher than rated amperage or the electrode went into total meltdown) you should probably replace the swirl ring even if it looks good. Otherwise you inspect it and if there are no cracks or visible damage, it is probably fine.

I have replaced the shield and swirl ring as a test with a new batch of electrode/nozzle set to see if it made any difference. If no difference, replace with the old shield and swirl ring.

3 Likes

mine is out on my desk right now. It looks fine. I am going to clean the parts, reinstall, and rerun the job with some slight changes in the code and see if it will burn or keep getting the THC error.

well, damn it wasn’t consumables or settings. It was the Milwaukee logo that was hanging it up.

hypotheses now:

water level too high causing splash back that interrupts the THC and torch firing

something about the logo design cut that causes the problem

tests:

i removed the logo from the design and it cut perfectly

things i learned from the prototype design:

my bend measurements are off by 0.341in on width, a critical dimension so i will have to fix the design for my cabinet configuration. it should work for others.

2 Likes

also, I need to fix the position of the Milwaukee system holes as the riser bumps need more clearance.