MR1 hits hard limits on Y and X axis "Sometimes"

Hey guys,

I have a little issue. When the machine is in a fresh state ready to make a part, The machine HOMES 10 out of 10 times with no issue.

But during machining a part sometimes maybe 2 out of 10 times when the machine homes. During traveling to HOME right before it gets there it vibrates super hard like its jamming then stops to say its at hard limits.

I have to shut the machine down. Manually rotate the X & Y ballscrews off the limit switches then power on the machine. Hit HOME and then it HOMES perfectly.

Super confused. Maybe I should extend my limit switch adjusters so that they hit sooner?

What do you guys think?

Thanks
@masonthedriver

Don’t know if this applies, shouldn’t be different homing before running apart or after.
With the rigidity of the machine, if the gantry is misaligned slightly in the Y axis. It can cause the motors to miss steps. If that’s the case, you can loosen the eight bolts connecting the X gantry, home the machine and retighten.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by home right? My machine homes to the left

It’s possibly that your y axis limit switch adjustable stops are slightly out of adjustment. In other words one switch is triggering, but the other side can’t physically drive far enough to trigger the other switch before losing steps. I would look there first.

If the limit switch stops are misaligned by more than about .010” it cause missed steps.

1 Like

Ahhh gotcha. Sounds like they might be fighting each other.

What would be a way of re aligning them? Should I refer back to the assembly instructions?

OR

When the machine homes correctly, then drive the limit switch stops off the switches then move the limited switch stops toward the switches maybe .03 in between the stop and switch. Realign them to activate switch there. Then lock them down?

I would start with the eight bolts I mentioned in the last post and homing, if that solves the problem, I would then double check the machine for a square with a 123 block.

Sorry i didnt mean “Right” as in the right position. It homes to the left like everyone elses.

But thank you I will take a look at that too

I doubt this is the case for you, but I’ve had that caused by chip buildup on the rails and being pushed into the motor area, I try to clear off the rails a little between tools now

I think your Y axis is binding and loosing steps right before homing. It is happening to me during homing few times due to rapid speed that in my opinion the Y stepper or driver cannot handle if the Y rails are a bit stiff due to not perfect assembly. I am waiting to hear from Langmuir for a solution, but I might start upgrading the Y driver to get more torque on the motors.

I recommend you go back through the assembly manual and redo the process to set the limit switch stops.

In short, you want to first make the X axis square to the y axis. Then you set the limit switch stops once you know the x is square to the y. This has to be done ideally within .001”. Im guessing that on yours, one switch is closing more than .015” earlier than the other switch.

1 Like

Got it! I will try that. Thank you Daniel I appreciate the help :+1: